Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Awesome post Dave. Yours and GLOCKMASTER's were exactly the kinds of responses I hoped to get when I requested this thread. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Training loadout

In reading back through this thread I realized that my original post here is severely outdated for me.

My total system can be found in the following two links
    Make Holes, Prevent Holes, Patch Holes - Armor & Load Carriage System
    US Grunt Gear Warhog Tactical Padded MOLLE Belt

My use for gear of this type is virtually all training-oriented, and I treat the competitions I participate in with this stuff as a training opportunity not as a chance to beat the accountant from Coral Gables or the electrician from West Palm Beach.

Modularity is important to me, as is mimicking my every day carry setup as much as possible while adding load carriage ability and increasing comfort for a long day spent mostly on the feet compared to my every day which is a long day spent mostly on my ass.

In addition to the chest rig I show in the first link, I have since added a chest rig without the med pouch (as well as an H-harness that I find more comfortable when not wearing the armor). This is something, then, that I can add to my load carriage when I'm using the belt and do not need to replicate that functionality. This system, in it's entirety, as a system, has addressed every need I've had on the range since beginning to use it. I do still need to add plates to the armor for possible shoot-house classes, and I'll need to track down a helmet with the right cost:benefit for me at that time as well, but as a whole I'm very happy with this system. I keep it all in a large Rubbermaid container, and swap out to my rolling range box what I'll need for a given event or, in the case of a longer multi-day class away from home I just grab the whole Rubbermaid and toss it in the truck.

Total system picture. What's missing from this is the self-contained chest rig with two mags and the BOK.

Last edited by rob_s; 03-05-11 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMASTER View Post
    Rob you missed a good one. There will be another class probably in September at the same facility.
    What class is this? I am in the group going to the Blackwater facility with Larry Vickers in November but I am always looking for other shoothouse classes in case I can't make that one.

I'll be posting my new APC setup sometime soon once I get it configured the way I like it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Awesome post Dave.
    Thanks man. The irony is that my order from Personal Security Systems Holster/Mag holders just showed up today and have already changed my belt rig slightly.
    I'm going to do a small review of my PSS gear tonight or tomorrow. It's quality gear and I'm very impressed.

Ironman, I've been looking at the APC which is similar to what I'm using now. I'll be looking for your assessment.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Hey Dave L.,

So far, I really like the carrier. I won't post any real review of it until I can actually take it through a class, but I can say at least initially that I am very impressed with it. It is very low profile and gives you alot of clearance between the bottom of the rig and your belt line. For reference, I am 5'8 185 lbs and got the S/M with Small cumberbund (I have a 31-32" waist). Also, the shoulder pads are actually pretty soft, so I don't think chafing on the neck will be a problem even though they're sewn flat as opposed to round. Once I get my armor in and the rest of my pouches, I'll post some pics.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Also, in case you haven't already seen it, MM has a very good review of it here: http://www.militarymorons.com/equipm...tive3.html#apc

I can't think of much more to add to his review, but I'll do one regardless just to give a second opinion...

btw...how do you like those bfg mag pouches? I was considering those, but being that they are elastic material, I didn't know how they would hold up over time...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 03-05-11 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    btw...how do you like those bfg mag pouches? I was considering those, but being that they are elastic material, I didn't know how they would hold up over time...
    They have been great. The mags come out easily enough, but the elastic retains them very well while running and moving, but keep in mind this is with PMags. I have not used a GI style mag in them and I would suspect they would slide out even easier, but retention could be a problem.
    The 10-Speed pouches come with lifetime guarantee so if the did wear out for some reason, BFG would replace them. I have heard that the camo pattern elastic is dyed with an acidic dye which dries out the elastic slightly but will still last long enough, just not as long as the solid color elastic.
    Maybe just try out a single on your vest and run around with it and see how you like it that way your investment wont be too large.
    Hope that helps man.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks for the insight Dave. I actually already bought the Emdom IAP's for my rig a couple days ago, but I wanted to see how you liked them. The BFG's were about a third the price of the IAP's, but I figured I would just get something that I know would last longer. I guess I just don't trust elastic very much lol...plus I like the idea of being able to re-insert a mag one handed. But I'll still take the BFG's in consideration if I ever have a need for them. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Unconventional SWAT Load Out

I suppose its time to ante up.

This is my SWAT set up. I’m on a part time team and have a few roles:

-Exterior support for search warrants and call ups (gas deployments, break and rake, backfilling Entry, inner perimeter management)

-Open air operations (wooded and park clears, CAT/REACT teams, mobile arrest)

-Supplement the Sniper platoon with a .223 system.

Depending on my role, the loadout changes, obviously. As you’ll see, I wanted to stick with the basics. Make holes, patch holes, call others to do the same.

Headgear: Very old PASGT in TI Black. Based on their age, I suspect that these have little to no ballistic value, and serve no purpose other than to make my head hot. Can’t fit electronic ears or a gas mask underneath it. I’m hoping to find the time to sit down and start writing a grant, but I had to write the last grant for stuff we should already have (see below); someone else can step up.

So, absent the PASGT, I might wear a ballcap, fleece, or a boonie, depending on the operation.

Vest(s): When I joined the team in 2008 the perimeter team was issued OD green load bearing vests. We’d wear these over either our patrol armor, or (for sake of convenience) an older vest that we could keep in the gear truck. Seeing problems with this, I wrote a proposal in 2010 for a new armor/load carriage system. We got the grant, and last month we took possession of Protech FAV’s and several of their new Level III plates, which are surprisingly lightweight. BACKSTORY

As you can see, I kept it very lightweight. Starting at the wearer’s 9:00, I have a single HSGI flashbang pouch, a single BFG 10-Speed AR mag pouch a BFG double 10-Speed AR mag pouch at dead center, and an Emdom IAPouch. Depending on my role, I can either put my radio into the single 10-Speed or clip it into the MOLLE either on the vest or on my belt.

Only other things on the front of the vest are a couple chemlights stuffed in the sides, and a split ring to hold onto a hydration pouch mouthpiece. Shooter’s right hand side is kept slick to avoid impeding my draw.

On the back, I keep a pair of Slik Clips and a pair of Grimlocs. I can use all four to hold a Camelbak Ambush (H2O, +energy food, small admin items), or 2 to hold a gas mask pouch, depending on the mission at hand.

I keep my old armor (vintage 2005) in a Beez Combat Systems custom carrier, with a Protech patrol sized rifle threat plate in the center pocket. Its not rated Level III, but its claims to be able to take 2X 762X51 or 39. Its also unobtrusive enough to fit under a uniform if I want a more low profile arrangement.

1st line belt is an ATS belt inside an ATS sleeve. Left to right:
    BFG 10-Speed pistol mag pouch- for pistol mags where I don’t plan on crawling or being prone for long periods
    HSGI single Mag Pouch- for when I’m more likely going to be in prone or crawling, and thus won’t have much use for 2 spare pistol mags
    Eagle Double AR Mag Pouch- 2 PMags, usually 20s
    Eagle Handcuff Pouch
    ATS Med Pouch- detachable, can reach it with either hand. CAT, OLAES, QC Sponge, gloves, scissors, chemlight
    Holster is a Safariland 6285 for a G22 and X200/DG. I much prefer to have the holster ride higher, especially if I’m spending time in unconventional positions, or out of a vehicle.

A couple observations:
    1. I don’t use an admin pouch. For the type of work I do in this vest, I find its easier to use either my uniform pockets, the camelbak, or my ruck for admin items. Besides, our meat and potatoes assignment has been search warrants; haven’t needed a pen and pad on a short perimeter, and if I did, it wouldn’t be a hard reach for a shoulder pocket. IR strobe, light, knife, also go in pockets.
    2. I’ve tried using dump pouches, but I’ve only found a need for them on the range. This may change, though.
    3. I might need a stiffer inner belt for the ATS sleeve. The ATS underbelt is nice, but its a tad flimsy for directly attaching this particular holster- it has a tendency to twist when drawing upwards.
    4. If I’m going very light, such as rooftop observer duty (a lot of this lately), I’ll just wear our blues with a plainclothes holster, mag pouch, and cuffs. I use CSM TSA belts for my pants. Big fan.
    5. Sniper stuff gets tossed in an Eagle Becker Patrol pack. If I’m not using the 1st line belt, I have another IFAK and a boo boo kit in there as well.
    6. For Ironman8- I’ve notived a little wear on my 10-Speed pouches, especially the pistol pouches, but they’re still holding strong after over a year. reinserting items into them, 1 handed, isn’t as hard as one might think.

Very basic, IMHO, but I intended it that way. I wanted to avoid the temptation to load up on primary and secondary ammo, bangs, and such, and weight myself down.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Very basic, IMHO, but I intended it that way. I wanted to avoid the temptation to load up on primary and secondary ammo, bangs, and such, and weight myself down.
    Basic is the way to go. Buy a small backpack like the ATS Raid pack or one of the mini BFG DAP-style packs and throw all the extra shit in there that you "might" need/want.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast