Page 97 of 131 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Feedback Score
    not harsh. It's a different perspective. As I mentioned, I don't envision always wearing everything. Ideally, depending on my needs, I'll run either the chest rig or the battle belt. However, I have trained wearing all of it and it's doable. As mentioned, carry 30pounds of gear daily. I'm used to it. That's always room to pick up something new though and incorporate other ideas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilmutt View Post
    not harsh. It's a different perspective. As I mentioned, I don't envision always wearing everything. Ideally, depending on my needs, I'll run either the chest rig or the battle belt. However, I have trained wearing all of it and it's doable. As mentioned, carry 30pounds of gear daily. I'm used to it. That's always room to pick up something new though and incorporate other ideas.
    Glad to see that you are taking this opinions with class. Good on you.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    I have a limited range now that I am partially disabled and retired. I won't be going anywhere on foot very far, so I have kept only the most basic of gear for a combat load. I'm only good for defending an area these days. My last issue was the then new M.O.L.L.E. gear the FLC Fighting Load Carrier, in the ACU cammo pattern. It was free, so I just kept it. I want to switch over to multi-cam soon as the ACU cammo doesn't help me much in the Indiana woods... but it's not like I'm going out on an extended dismounted patrol.

I shortened it up quite a bit, turning it into a chest rig. I like to squat down low when I can, and hate stuff banging on my legs. I carried 12 M4 mags in Iraq, but I was much stronger then. I carry 6 now. 5 are loaded with Cor-bon DPX, 1 with M855. It keeps the weight down, and the front of the rig pretty flat, making it very comfy to drive a vehicle in.
    Old style first aid kit
    cleaning kit
    Gerber multi tool
    Benchmade Nimravus Tanto
    canteen pouch with 7x30 Steiner binos
    Small pouch for odds and ends.
    Inside pockets contain small items like a Sharpie, water proof note book, space pen, lighter...
    I also have a pistol belt with my handgun holster, mags ect.
    I have a Camelback for water, but seldom use it. Probably gonna put canteens back on the pistol belt.

Everything else is in the pack. I haven't wore any armor since I retired, and have given thought of getting a plate carrier. I liked the set-up I had in Iraq, everything all together in one unit. Plus I'm an easier target now that I move slower. I will keep my pistol belt as well. I was worried about my mangled up right hip and vertebrae, but I am getting some of my strength back now. I can get around without my cane pretty good for short spells. Thinking the extra weight will be good to work out with, if nothing else.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-19-14 at 19:50.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shrewd,

Yes, I've worn it for extended periods and several long hikes of 5 to 9 miles. The load you describe implies going out on a mission. Not the SHTF scenarios I train for. My load out is designed about not having any chance of immediate resupply. What you have is all you've got. 4 mags won't cut it.

My final load with be 13 rifle mags, 7- 30rd 9mm mags, and 12 pistol mags. I expect to have several spares in my pack as well.

While that might seem heavy and cumbersome, it's not terrible, depending on how healthy you are. I wear 30lb and gear and armor at work everyday already. I don't intend to be doing lots of CQB and assaults. It's more stealth and defensive.

That 4 mags on a plate carrier is for short missions and a base of operations. I'm counting on neither.

But I appreciate the input.
    There is training and then there is "training", which have you done man? That looks like a lot of shit to carry, I'm not talking about on a nice easy hike. Try carrying all that **** while bounding up hill from cover to cover on a nice hot day and see how you feel about it then, or hit a few large complex buildings with it and see if you aren't totally smoked in the process. It looks like you're really prepared for holding down the Blackhawk battle of Mogadishu style and not really prepared to beat feet very long or fast. I mean maybe I'm wrong and you're some ranger batt superstud guy or something but I've humped a saw and 1000rds of 556 linked just a few times and I feel it's better to go lighter and be able to fight better, physical training is a big part of it but a bloated fighting load is a bloated fighting load. If I'm rolling alone in a shtf scenario by myself at most I'd be rocking 4 rifle mags on my chest and one in the gun and a few more in a assault pack, if you need 13 rifle mags you've probably got yourself in a situation you're not going to make it out of anyways.

What about water....food....snivel, what are you training for, zombies?!?!

By the way I have a hellrazor too man, it's a hell of a knife, too damn heavy though.
    Last edited by FireandFlames; 12-24-14 at 01:19.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    Glad to see that you are taking this opinions with class. Good on you.
    My thoughts exactly.

Devilmutt, a bit off topic but seeing your kit made me wonder, what is your PT regimen? I overhear a lot of guys discuss "SHTF" that couldn't run to the fridge and back during a commercial break without needing o2. Not saying this is you, but in the scenario you're discussing, the ability to carry any amount of gear, and obviously perform with it, is dictated by how that individual has upkept their body. Not a loaded question, just curious.

On topic, my belt line is unchanged over the past years, using a slick carrier now.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A slick plate carrier? That's heresy!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    SHTF Load Out

This is my gear set up currently for SHTF scenarios. It starts with a chest rig worn over a plate carrier and finishes with a battle belt.
    The chest rig is the ESSTAC LLB. I selected it due to reputation and features, such as modular internal magazine slots (3 rifle and 6 smg on mine) plus hydration pocket and plenty of MOLLE.
    It has a combination of ESSTAC and HSGI Tacos as well as an HSGI Blow out Medical pouch and a Specter gear PriMac mag pouch.
    My plate carrier isn't pictured. I recently upgraded to XL ESAPI plates and they don't fit. Researching a replacement now.
    The Battle Belt is HSGI. It's still under development. The inner belt is condor but going to be replaced with an HSGI Riggers belt.
    There are 4 Specter gear pistol pouches, Busse Hell Razor in a Spec Ops sheath, Maxpedition dump pouch, HSGI drop leg holster with the G-Code SOC inserted, tactical tailor multi tool pouch, and a horizontal condor pistol pouch. The drop leg has an HSGI pistol pouch and a CRKT First Strike.
    The belt configuration will change. I'm adding a left side drop leg mag pouch as well as replacing/adding the pistol pouches and 2 rifle pouches with HSGI Tacos. There will also be an ITS IFAK, not sure which yet.

Some of the Condor/Specter gear I bought because it's a great value for the money and allowed me to train while I saved for better gear.

Attachment 30503
    Well, I understand "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but I think I can see a few areas that could be commented on.
    Again, as with everyone else here, I mean this only in the most helpful way; Also bear in mind everything I say is coming from the mouth of a gear whore who has been through a LOT of gear in about every configuration you can think of in the last couple years, as well as someone who's mindset is also towards a SHTF situation. So it's not like I'm opposed to folks owning piles of gear...

First, EVERYTHING that Kaltesherz said. In fact, what he's listing is very similar to what I'm (finally, after much wasting of money) working towards (with a couple small changes/additions).
    Further, when I first got into putting together SHTF gear, I too got a little mind****ed with the whole "I need to carry EVERYTHING!" approach, and my initial loadout ideas just were not realistic for me or any likely situation. Once I got over the mental humps of
    A) I can only do so much if it's JUST me (this is the important one- goes hand in hand with that whole "stealth and defensive" use),
    B) If you have a "team" you can carry less (especially ammo, and especially if you consider you won't be hosing rounds like a bad action movie...),
    and C) Regardless if you are alone or with a group, there's other options for carrying and resupply of gear that need to be researched.

On to the bashing;

For a loadout that's based towards a SHTF situation, you're missing some stuff.
    SMOLES- stands for Self-Defense, Medical, Optics, Land Nav, Extreme weather, Survival- a list of things of which at least a basic amount (lets say a day's worth or so) should be carried ON your LBE. The rest goes in your pack. Do you have a decent pack/ruck/bergen/whatever the name of the week is?
    You have a ridiculous amount of ammo, some water and med stuff. Not much else....
    Further, that's nowhere near your daily wear weight of 30 pounds- Going off your stated "final load"- 13 rifle mags is 13 pounds. 12 standard Glock mags is around 6Lb, 7 30rd. Glock mags around 7 Lb., and 3 liter water is 6.5. That's ~26 pounds right there (I have weighed all this stuff out in the past). I know a decent set of standard 10x12 plates is going to run about 12lb, 14 if you add soft backers. So add the PC and you're now at 40lb - and I know the XL plates weigh more than 10x12's... So let's say 42Lb. /w backers.
    We haven't even gotten to the medical kit, or the knives, or the rest of the SMOLES stuff, or the weight of the gear itself, or adding a pack full of stuff which you'll need if you plan to exist for longer periods of time in a SHTF situation.

Now, if you're carrying this stuff around for 5-9 mile hikes as you say, then I guess you're probably pretty physically fit. So the issue here is simply trimming down excess and tailoring it more towards whatever your expected situation is (dare I say... METT-TC dependent? ).
    With that in mind, let me make a few suggestions- of course I don't know your profession or background, so just take it at face value;

19 pistol mags.... why do you feel you need 19 pistol magazines on your LBE? Along with 13 rifle mags?
    Which are you planning on using as your primary- the pistol or rifle?
    Further, if as you state you're not planning on doing CQB or assaulting, then the 6-10 rifle plus 2-3 pistol as "K" mentioned should be more than adequate for "break contact and run away" stealth and defensive purposes. Considering the 6-10 loadout IS being used by folks actually assaulting an objective... these guys are carrying the 6-10 on their kit, with any extras in the pack.
    Also, a thought about intended area of use- if you're out in the wilds, then your rifle is most likely going to be your go-to, so you can seriously cull your pistol magazines. In fact a lot of "operator" level Mil. guys these days often don't even run a handgun anymore, if they're not going to be in a situation to need it. I am not in that crowd, but something to think about.
    If you're intending on all urban use, than you can seriously cut down on your rifle mags- but given the gear, I'm assuming you're going to be away from towns since plate carriers and chest rigs aren't all that low-profile.
    Which brings me to another tangent here, in that, keeping your handgun for quick forays into populated areas is just fine, but there's nothing the standard factory Glock mags can't do for you that the extended mags will, when it comes to concealability, as well as carriage/storage. Unless you have a small detachable assault pack or shoulder bag you're going to carry with your main pack into town...
    Granted you get a little extra initial firepower with them, so going back to urban vs rural use, if your pistol is your primary in town, then I can see the usefulness. But again, I can't see these being very fun to carry concealed without a bag/pack or something. I used to own an extended mag like that. Used to...

Knives- why 4?
    That in and of itself right there is a good bit of extra dead weight, let alone if you factor in a multitool. I just got a MUT- that thing weighs over 1/2 a pound by itself, without any of the extra parts that would actually make it useful. I'm seriously considering ditching it.... Further, I went through the "big knife" stage, the "multi-knife" stage, and now am down to 1 fixed blade (maybe a multitool, maybe a hatchet), and I still am not entirely sure where I'll put the thing.
    That BUSSE is badass (seriously, I'd love to have a knife from them) and a great knife but... it is absurdly expensive- as in, you could buy some serious kit/ammo/survival supplies/etc. with the proceeds (especially considering your statement of settling for the lesser bits of gear). Plus I'd kill myself if I lost it, or marred it up in some way.
    Why the folder clipped to the front webbing? You've already got two other knives on hand... It's because they might be to big for a smaller task, right? Well, then let's talk about knives for a second....

We've already established there might be a few to many here- you have two main options, if you decide to reconfigure your setup a little;

1) Go simple and light. 1 med. fixed blade (the CRKT) and 1 small blade (Either the folder or a multitool). You save a bunch of weight, and you save room on your kit. Further, you save yourself the gigantic PITA headache of having a large knife incessantly flapping against your leg... Also, you can't sit with it hanging like that, so if your plan involves any sort of vehicles, or taking a seat literally anywhere, you may want to rethink that (unless it's not an issue for you). Also did I mention it's annoying to have a large knife flapping against your leg incessantly?
    The only good solution for a large fixed blade is to straight up DL the thing, so that it can bend and align itself with your leg/butt position (see how your CRKT moves inline with your leg on the DL panel with your handgun when squatting/bending/sitting?). At least, IMO...this is what I did with my Esee 6 before shelving the Dual-DL concept (for now at least).

2) Transfer the weight into more widely useful items. In other words, something like 1 small folder/MT, 1 med. fixed blade, and then add a light hatchet or such with your pack. For example, the Fiskars X7 only weighs about 1.5 Lb, only costs ~$25, and boy can it chop.... And of course there's always Gransfors, if you want something a little more high-end, and still reasonably priced.
    And if you really want to get off into last ditch/improvised weapons.... I'd pick a hatchet over a knife - see: medieval era, native americans.

My personal opinion- ditch *everything* except the folder or MT, whichever you find more useful (pick one ditch the other) then, unless that BUSSE has some sentimental value to you, sell it. Rake in some serious cash, then go out and buy a midsized (3.5-5" blade) "user" knife, maybe an extra chopping tool depending on your theory of use . If you want something still in the BUSSE spirit, a Scrapyard 511 or Swamprat Rodent 5 or RMD would be excellent choices and MORE than adequate from a durability standpoint. Of course there's always ESEE, Benchmade, Fallkniven, Bark Rive, etc. so forth and so on that would also be more than adequate as "user" knives. Or just keep the CRKT and spend the money elsewhere (although I personally dislike CRKT and would put it in the "loaner" kit. But that's just me. Gear whore, remember? ).

Some other nitpicks (while I'm on ye olde soapbox);

How big are you? You mentioned XL plates and you can't fit them in the carrier? With that size LBV over top of it?
    Why XL plates? What PC are you using? Have you tried an SKD PIG- that should fit just about any size plate a person could find useful...
    Can you explain this situation some more?

Maxped dump pouch- dump it (har har) and get a Tactical Tailor fight light roll-up. WAY better than the Maxped rolypoly I had.

Per dual DL platforms.... seriously think hard about how you're going to configure that, and IF it's going to be worth it. Drop Legs can be a real PITA. Having muddled with the idea myself, I would make a couple suggestions.
    1) Seriously consider ditching the battle belt if you do this. With the amount of stuff you'll carry between the two DLs, you won't need it anyway, especially since you are not using a full-on "light infantry" oldschool style battle belt setup. Not to mention the PITA of having it all attached to the BB. Something to think about is "how fast can I get this all on or off?"
    2) Seriously consider the amount of weight you will have on the two DLs- having the thing pulling your pants down all day is NOT fun. Further, having a poorly thought out gear configuration ON the DL can lead to excess movement and flopping even if you cinch the thing around your leg.... in which case now you're wearing a tourniquet all day long. Also not fun. Further, put both DLs on then got to the bathroom and take a dump. Not fun is it? Now try it with them both attached to a battle belt with a big knife dangling all over the place.... Now imagine not having a toilet....
    3)Consider a Safariland DL- their 6004-10 leg plate is great- Will need a new/better belt hanger strap to be added though- very simple if you have webbing and a person that can sew, but for sure the factory strap sucks. Otherwise it's a bomber DL. There's one guy I know of who runs a similar dual-DL setup like you want. He's running a SF holster, and his own version of the HSGI "Costa" leg rig. I would seriously consider not going any heavier on the DL's than that- maybe even shave some weight if you can. Ask me how I know...

If you can't fit everything on your PC/chest rig, maybe examine the possibility of using a "tactical fanny" aka "man pouch". They range from "small and light" to "fit the kitchen sink" size, and can be an interesting option for an extra storage space.

On a side note, maybe consider running just your PC OR Chest rig. I understand the pro's of wanting to run the fully loaded chest rig over a slick PC, and it is a solid idea (I experimented with this as well) but.... if you pick one or the other, you can save some weight and bulk, run cooler in hot weather, and maybe a little frustration of the chest rig occasionally wanting to slide off in one direction or other, as well as a little "gear up" time (especially if you're planning on all the other stuff). Again, your situation will dictate it, but sometimes one or the other can be a better pick. If not, maybe consider a lighter chest rig, like a MAV.

Per your overall load- another great way to lighten up is to explore the option of cache points- either in your post-SHTF AO, Or en-route to your safehouse. Also consider that no matter how much you can carry or stash eventually it will run out- it depends on the duration of your intended crisis, as well as your options for grouping up with like-minded folks, considering at some point there may be a transition from gear to long term skillsets.

Finally, here's a few articles and videos that may help- MG is running a very similar kit to what I think you're looking for (his pics are down, but you can get the general idea), and the SAS video is a good look at a professional foot-patrol's long term loadout- it's a little dated, but still valid.

http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...to-carry-what/
    http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...what-part-two/
    http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...ific-examples/

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 12-24-14 at 14:40.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Gear loadout pics and descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    A slick plate carrier? That's heresy!
    I tuck mags in the pouch sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Well, I understand "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but I think I can see a few areas that could be commented on.
    Again, as with everyone else here, I mean this only in the most helpful way; Also bear in mind everything I say is coming from the mouth of a gear whore who has been through a LOT of gear in about every configuration you can think of in the last couple years, as well as someone who's mindset is also towards a SHTF situation. So it's not like I'm opposed to folks owning piles of gear...

First, EVERYTHING that Kaltesherz said. In fact, what he's listing is very similar to what I'm (finally, after much wasting of money) working towards (with a couple small changes/additions).
    Further, when I first got into putting together SHTF gear, I too got a little mind****ed with the whole "I need to carry EVERYTHING!" approach, and my initial loadout ideas just were not realistic for me or any likely situation. Once I got over the mental humps of
    A) I can only do so much if it's JUST me (this is the important one- goes hand in hand with that whole "stealth and defensive" use),
    B) If you have a "team" you can carry less (especially ammo, and especially if you consider you won't be hosing rounds like a bad action movie...),
    and C) Regardless if you are alone or with a group, there's other options for carrying and resupply of gear that need to be researched.

On to the bashing;

For a loadout that's based towards a SHTF situation, you're missing some stuff.
    SMOLES- stands for Self-Defense, Medical, Optics, Land Nav, Extreme weather, Survival- a list of things of which at least a basic amount (lets say a day's worth or so) should be carried ON your LBE. The rest goes in your pack. Do you have a decent pack/ruck/bergen/whatever the name of the week is?
    You have a ridiculous amount of ammo, some water and med stuff. Not much else....
    Further, that's nowhere near your daily wear weight of 30 pounds- Going off your stated "final load"- 13 rifle mags is 13 pounds. 12 standard Glock mags is around 6Lb, 7 30rd. Glock mags around 7 Lb., and 3 liter water is 6.5. That's ~26 pounds right there (I have weighed all this stuff out in the past). I know a decent set of standard 10x12 plates is going to run about 12lb, 14 if you add soft backers. So add the PC and you're now at 40lb - and I know the XL plates weigh more than 10x12's... So let's say 42Lb. /w backers.
    We haven't even gotten to the medical kit, or the knives, or the rest of the SMOLES stuff, or the weight of the gear itself, or adding a pack full of stuff which you'll need if you plan to exist for longer periods of time in a SHTF situation.

Now, if you're carrying this stuff around for 5-9 mile hikes as you say, then I guess you're probably pretty physically fit. So the issue here is simply trimming down excess and tailoring it more towards whatever your expected situation is (dare I say... METT-TC dependent? ).
    With that in mind, let me make a few suggestions- of course I don't know your profession or background, so just take it at face value;

19 pistol mags.... why do you feel you need 19 pistol magazines on your LBE? Along with 13 rifle mags?
    Which are you planning on using as your primary- the pistol or rifle?
    Further, if as you state you're not planning on doing CQB or assaulting, then the 6-10 rifle plus 2-3 pistol as "K" mentioned should be more than adequate for "break contact and run away" stealth and defensive purposes. Considering the 6-10 loadout IS being used by folks actually assaulting an objective... these guys are carrying the 6-10 on their kit, with any extras in the pack.
    Also, a thought about intended area of use- if you're out in the wilds, then your rifle is most likely going to be your go-to, so you can seriously cull your pistol magazines. In fact a lot of "operator" level Mil. guys these days often don't even run a handgun anymore, if they're not going to be in a situation to need it. I am not in that crowd, but something to think about.
    If you're intending on all urban use, than you can seriously cut down on your rifle mags- but given the gear, I'm assuming you're going to be away from towns since plate carriers and chest rigs aren't all that low-profile.
    Which brings me to another tangent here, in that, keeping your handgun for quick forays into populated areas is just fine, but there's nothing the standard factory Glock mags can't do for you that the extended mags will, when it comes to concealability, as well as carriage/storage. Unless you have a small detachable assault pack or shoulder bag you're going to carry with your main pack into town...
    Granted you get a little extra initial firepower with them, so going back to urban vs rural use, if your pistol is your primary in town, then I can see the usefulness. But again, I can't see these being very fun to carry concealed without a bag/pack or something. I used to own an extended mag like that. Used to...

Knives- why 4?
    That in and of itself right there is a good bit of extra dead weight, let alone if you factor in a multitool. I just got a MUT- that thing weighs over 1/2 a pound by itself, without any of the extra parts that would actually make it useful. I'm seriously considering ditching it.... Further, I went through the "big knife" stage, the "multi-knife" stage, and now am down to 1 fixed blade (maybe a multitool, maybe a hatchet), and I still am not entirely sure where I'll put the thing.
    That BUSSE is badass (seriously, I'd love to have a knife from them) and a great knife but... it is absurdly expensive- as in, you could buy some serious kit/ammo/survival supplies/etc. with the proceeds (especially considering your statement of settling for the lesser bits of gear). Plus I'd kill myself if I lost it, or marred it up in some way.
    Why the folder clipped to the front webbing? You've already got two other knives on hand... It's because they might be to big for a smaller task, right? Well, then let's talk about knives for a second....

We've already established there might be a few to many here- you have two main options, if you decide to reconfigure your setup a little;

1) Go simple and light. 1 med. fixed blade (the CRKT) and 1 small blade (Either the folder or a multitool). You save a bunch of weight, and you save room on your kit. Further, you save yourself the gigantic PITA headache of having a large knife incessantly flapping against your leg... Also, you can't sit with it hanging like that, so if your plan involves any sort of vehicles, or taking a seat literally anywhere, you may want to rethink that (unless it's not an issue for you). Also did I mention it's annoying to have a large knife flapping against your leg incessantly?
    The only good solution for a large fixed blade is to straight up DL the thing, so that it can bend and align itself with your leg/butt position (see how your CRKT moves inline with your leg on the DL panel with your handgun when squatting/bending/sitting?). At least, IMO...this is what I did with my Esee 6 before shelving the Dual-DL concept (for now at least).

2) Transfer the weight into more widely useful items. In other words, something like 1 small folder/MT, 1 med. fixed blade, and then add a light hatchet or such with your pack. For example, the Fiskars X7 only weighs about 1.5 Lb, only costs ~$25, and boy can it chop.... And of course there's always Gransfors, if you want something a little more high-end, and still reasonably priced.
    And if you really want to get off into last ditch/improvised weapons.... I'd pick a hatchet over a knife - see: medieval era, native americans.

My personal opinion- ditch *everything* except the folder or MT, whichever you find more useful (pick one ditch the other) then, unless that BUSSE has some sentimental value to you, sell it. Rake in some serious cash, then go out and buy a midsized (3.5-5" blade) "user" knife, maybe an extra chopping tool depending on your theory of use . If you want something still in the BUSSE spirit, a Scrapyard 511 or Swamprat Rodent 5 or RMD would be excellent choices and MORE than adequate from a durability standpoint. Of course there's always ESEE, Benchmade, Fallkniven, Bark Rive, etc. so forth and so on that would also be more than adequate as "user" knives. Or just keep the CRKT and spend the money elsewhere (although I personally dislike CRKT and would put it in the "loaner" kit. But that's just me. Gear whore, remember? ).

Some other nitpicks (while I'm on ye olde soapbox);

How big are you? You mentioned XL plates and you can't fit them in the carrier? With that size LBV over top of it?
    Why XL plates? What PC are you using? Have you tried an SKD PIG- that should fit just about any size plate a person could find useful...
    Can you explain this situation some more?

Maxped dump pouch- dump it (har har) and get a Tactical Tailor fight light roll-up. WAY better than the Maxped rolypoly I had.

Per dual DL platforms.... seriously think hard about how you're going to configure that, and IF it's going to be worth it. Drop Legs can be a real PITA. Having muddled with the idea myself, I would make a couple suggestions.
    1) Seriously consider ditching the battle belt if you do this. With the amount of stuff you'll carry between the two DLs, you won't need it anyway, especially since you are not using a full-on "light infantry" oldschool style battle belt setup. Not to mention the PITA of having it all attached to the BB. Something to think about is "how fast can I get this all on or off?"
    2) Seriously consider the amount of weight you will have on the two DLs- having the thing pulling your pants down all day is NOT fun. Further, having a poorly thought out gear configuration ON the DL can lead to excess movement and flopping even if you cinch the thing around your leg.... in which case now you're wearing a tourniquet all day long. Also not fun. Further, put both DLs on then got to the bathroom and take a dump. Not fun is it? Now try it with them both attached to a battle belt with a big knife dangling all over the place.... Now imagine not having a toilet....
    3)Consider a Safariland DL- their 6004-10 leg plate is great- Will need a new/better belt hanger strap to be added though- very simple if you have webbing and a person that can sew, but for sure the factory strap sucks. Otherwise it's a bomber DL. There's one guy I know of who runs a similar dual-DL setup like you want. He's running a SF holster, and his own version of the HSGI "Costa" leg rig. I would seriously consider not going any heavier on the DL's than that- maybe even shave some weight if you can. Ask me how I know...

If you can't fit everything on your PC/chest rig, maybe examine the possibility of using a "tactical fanny" aka "man pouch". They range from "small and light" to "fit the kitchen sink" size, and can be an interesting option for an extra storage space.

On a side note, maybe consider running just your PC OR Chest rig. I understand the pro's of wanting to run the fully loaded chest rig over a slick PC, and it is a solid idea (I experimented with this as well) but.... if you pick one or the other, you can save some weight and bulk, run cooler in hot weather, and maybe a little frustration of the chest rig occasionally wanting to slide off in one direction or other, as well as a little "gear up" time (especially if you're planning on all the other stuff). Again, your situation will dictate it, but sometimes one or the other can be a better pick. If not, maybe consider a lighter chest rig, like a MAV.

Per your overall load- another great way to lighten up is to explore the option of cache points- either in your post-SHTF AO, Or en-route to your safehouse. Also consider that no matter how much you can carry or stash eventually it will run out- it depends on the duration of your intended crisis, as well as your options for grouping up with like-minded folks, considering at some point there may be a transition from gear to long term skillsets.

Finally, here's a few articles and videos that may help- MG is running a very similar kit to what I think you're looking for (his pics are down, but you can get the general idea), and the SAS video is a good look at a professional foot-patrol's long term loadout- it's a little dated, but still valid.

http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...to-carry-what/
    http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...what-part-two/
    http://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.c...ific-examples/

Hope that helps some.
    hahahha, I love this shit...

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    That was the longest post I've ever read. LOL I do appreciate the various advice. I think some of what I said was over looked though. My gear is set up for 4 different weapons. My pistol, a 9mm SBR, a shotgun and my AR. Ideally not all at once. I'm not made of cash so my rig reflects maximizing what I can. It does allow me to readily configure for the different platforms. I just don't fill the unneeded mag pouches. The belt is finished now. There is a proper riggers belt, suspenders, and ITS IFAK, and a total of 4 pistol mags on my belt with 2 rifle. I like the dump pouch I have btw. I also added my survival kit which wasn't added in that picture. It contains my compass, fire, water, shelter etc. As far as taking a crap, with the suspenders on, it's just a matter of popping all three buckles and having a seat. LOL
    I did add an older HSGI mag carrier drop leg. I have a decent 3 day pack and an Eberlestock Skycrane on order.

Believe it or not, I train with all that gear, either just the belt, chest rig or both. Usually with a partial ammo load. I've taken to using my Battle belt the most. I'm waiting on a new plate carrier that better fits my plates. I got an excellent deal on the XL plates and I don;t mind the extra coverage.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 97 of 131 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast