Thread: What Do We Know Of The .327 Fed Magnum??

Feedback Score

What Do We Know Of The .327 Fed Magnum??

I'm considering, after some research, the .327 Federal Magnum as a possible defensive cartridge. Does anyone have information at this time re this load (in a 3" Ruger SP-101, probably...)
    "Strength and Honor."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think it lacks the bullet weight to use reliably expanding bullets AND reach a respectable penetration.

Any particular reason you'd not choose the .38 spl +P ?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    I'm considering, after some research, the .327 Federal Magnum as a possible defensive cartridge. Does anyone have information at this time re this load (in a 3" Ruger SP-101, probably...)
    I've shot a few boxes of it through an SP101. I was left with a giant, "meh." The expense of the cartridge and spotty availability is a deal breaker in anything but a gee-whiz piece. Further, the big push from sales folks is that you can use an easier to shoot cartridge for training, and a more powerful one for carry. "You mean like a .38 and a .357?" A blank stare or "ummm" usually follows.

38SPL and .357 Magnum are well established, with good loads available. Why bother with others?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I got the opportunity to put a few rounds through one back in may and, like some others, was left with a "yeah, that was cool. where's my .38?" type feelin.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I think it lacks the bullet weight to use reliably expanding bullets AND reach a respectable penetration.

Any particular reason you'd not choose the .38 spl +P ?
    I think the concept is good. A 6 shot hide out revolver with ballistics similar to a 9mm +p load. However I am not sure of how it actually expands and penetrates. I have not seen any tests. I would like to see a K frame gun with a 6 inch barrel and a 8 shot cylinder for small game hunting.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 10-14-09 at 00:04.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    ...maybe it could be quiteinteresting for you...

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm

All the best
    Andrea

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I think the concept is good. A 6 shot hide out revolver with ballistics similar to a 9mm +p load. However I am not sure of how it actually expands and penetrates. I have not seen any tests. I would like to see a K frame gun with a 6 inch barrel and a 8 shot cylinder for small game hunting.
    Pat

A "K" frame 8 shot would make a good Home S/D revolver with a 4"inch barrel loaded it up with Speer Gold dot 115gr H/Ps. If the links test results are valid http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm as well as the 20% reduction in recoil over a .38spl claim this would work well for those recoil shy ladies who need a high reliability firearm, with good capacity and reduced recoil that makes the FBI spec.

It could have its role for certain applications.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have seen tests where the Gold Dot load comes very close in gel tests to matching the 124gr +P 9mm loading.

I also know that this load recoils quite a bit more than your average .38 +P ( at least in my experience).

The 85gr loading does recoil less than the .38 +P