Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handloaders: How much per round?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm about $.17 a round using Hornady 55gr FMJ.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Where is the best place to pick up primers?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    I'm about $.17 a round using Hornady 55gr FMJ.
    It was around 12 cents a couple years ago. Early last year I bought a bunch and it put me at about 16 cents a round.

Most of the brass that I have, I picked up. Last class I went to I picked up about 1400 empties because nobody wanted any.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Use once fired brass and reuse it multiple times. Once fired is 10 cents or less per casing.

Primers should not be 4 cents, even delivered now. Buy in bulk -- 5000 or 10000 at a time and the shipping and hazmat should not be a penny a primer.

I use WC844T and WC846 surplus powders so am paying about 14$ per pound at current prices, when bought 4 kegs at a time, in bulk delivered from Pats Reloading.

7-8 cents for a projectile is about right now when buying in bulk.

Of course, I bought my powder at Pat's last year for $10 a keg less, my primers were bought anywhere from 1994 to 2007 and cost me less than the going rate by 1-2 pennies, and my 55 and 62 gr slugs are either 1990s IMI at 3-3.5 cents a slug to 2007 PRVI for around 6-6.5 cents a slug. So my actual costs are lower but you should be able to do a little bit better than you listed -- buy in bulk, don't pay stupid prices, and use once fired brass (or pickups of other people's brass if you can)

Chad
    we
    here the hell are u getting primers for under 4 centavos each?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwcatman View Post
    we
    here the hell are u getting primers for under 4 centavos each?
    Well, most primers are listed as out of stock but they take backorders for those that are listed at powder valley and they are around $25 per 1000 plus or minus for most "normal" primers from CCI, Wolf, Winchester, and Federal. They don't list all the various size and sorts but the ones they list you can backorder.

Grafs is out but it appears you can place a backorder. $22-$27/1000 when ordering 5000 at a time from a quick look.

Other normal places get them in occasionally between $25 and $32 per 1000.

Cabelas was accepting backorders for $30-$32 per 1000 for most sorts / brands and my friend said he got his relatively fast (a few weeks).

If you order 10000 at a time, shipping and hazmat won't add a complete penny to the cost per primer.

I have not bought any since 2007 and my primer stash I bought between 1993 and 2007 so I am much less than 4 cents myself.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I was at my local Sportsmans Warehouse a few nights ago (trying to find some toy cowboy guns for my sons halloween costume) and they had a few 1000 primer boxes of winchester magnum small rifle primers for $30.99. They also had some large pistol and large rifle. A few boxes of Federal primers small rifle magnums were also on hand for about the same or maybe a buck more per case of 1000.

update 10/31: I was back at that same Sportsmans Warehouse and all the SR primers were gone except the federal Match Small Rifle at $39.99 per thousand. I did buy 2000 small pistol Remington primers for $30.99/1000. And got the toy guns for the boy's costume, which was the real reason to stop by again.
    Last edited by chadbag; 11-01-09 at 01:31.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    Brass is free, powder is $43, primers are $25, bullets are $60. Case of .223 FMJ runs about $123 per case or 12.3 cents per round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennvol12345 View Post
    My figures are a little bit cheaper due to buying powder, primers, and bullets several years ago. I also didn't buy brass as I used range pickups.
    I'm the same. I stock piled a lot of components a while back, pick up brass, and I use military brass as well.
    OIF Vet | 0331

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Well, most primers are listed as out of stock but they take backorders for those that are listed at powder valley and they are around $25 per 1000 plus or minus for most "normal" primers from CCI, Wolf, Winchester, and Federal. They don't list all the various size and sorts but the ones they list you can backorder.

Grafs is out but it appears you can place a backorder. $22-$27/1000 when ordering 5000 at a time from a quick look.

Other normal places get them in occasionally between $25 and $32 per 1000.

Cabelas was accepting backorders for $30-$32 per 1000 for most sorts / brands and my friend said he got his relatively fast (a few weeks).

If you order 10000 at a time, shipping and hazmat won't add a complete penny to the cost per primer.

I have not bought any since 2007 and my primer stash I bought between 1993 and 2007 so I am much less than 4 cents myself.
    10,000!!! Wow that is a whole lot of shooting!
    OIF Vet | 0331

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTango23 View Post
    10,000!!! Wow that is a whole lot of shooting!
    Depends who you are or how long you want the primers to last. They will remain good a long time (a lot of mine are from the mid 90s right now).

Or you go in with a few local buddies and everyone gets a few thousand...

Or you get a few thousand small rifle, a few thousand small pistol, a few thousand large pistol, etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast