Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Target For Zeroing Red Dot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best Target For Zeroing Red Dot

It may not exist, but what would you consider the ideal target for zeroing a RDS (shape, color, size, etc)? Also, if you have a picture, link, or printable example, that would be a big help. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I like the Shoot N C targets from birchwood casey. For my use (100 yard/meter zero, 2 and 3-4 MOA dots) the 6" targets work great out to 100, and I like to refine the zero of the 2 MOA M3 with a 3" bull at 100.

If you are going with a 50 yard/meter zero, the 3" bull will work with anything 4 MOA or under.

The 8" "X" targets also work well since they have crosshairs to help center your dot.

Optimal target size depends on your dot size and desired zero distance. What works well at 100 yards with a 4 MOA dot will not be as good at 50 with a 1 MOA dot.

You want the target to be slightly larger than your dot so that you can be sure that you are on, but not so large that the dot "gets lost" on the target. Best results come when you can easily and consistently center the dot on the target. Make sure your dot is turned down as low as it can go and still be able to be picked up on the target without strain. This will keep the dot crisp and easier to define the edges of the dot for centering.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I actually don't like shoot-n-c targets when I'm zeroing or trying to shoot representative groups because after the first shot or two I feel like I subconsciously shoot towards the point of impact rather than keeping the point of aim constant.

With a scope I like something that's got a coarse grid pattern, but with a red dot I like a simple dot on a plain piece of paper.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i zero my irons, set the dot to the lowest visible level, and drop it onto the FSP. no targets necessary, for the RDS.

but when i zero my irons, i just stick a dot sticker on a paper plate and put it at 50m.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i zero my irons, set the dot to the lowest visible level, and drop it onto the FSP. no targets necessary, for the RDS.

but when i zero my irons, i just stick a dot sticker on a paper plate and put it at 50m.
    I feel like I have a more consistent sight POA with a red dot. There seems to be too much play in the BUIS sight picture. With that said, I feel better getting a good BZO with my red dot and then moving my irons to match it. Same thing in the end though.

What is the size and color of the dot you put on the white paper plate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    I feel like I have a more consistent sight POA with a red dot. There seems to be too much play in the BUIS sight picture. With that said, I feel better getting a good BZO with my red dot and then moving my irons to match it. Same thing in the end though.

What is the size and color of the dot you put on the white paper plate?
    First post here so I hope I do everything right. Any how, I just thought I'd comment on this concept. I tried it, and I found out very quickly its good for getting close, but to zero each sighting system independently in order to get accurate results. If your saying to use this method to get close, I'm sorry if my reading comprehension sucks. I'm just a redneck who *thinks* he knows something about guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I like the Shoot N C targets from birchwood casey.
    Doesn't the red dot in the center of these targets bug you? The targets I was using over the weekend were yellow and red, so my red dot kept washing out on them. I was thinking either black or what would be best, but figured someone else has more insight on the matter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Target for zeroing RDS

Many years ago while taking Clint Smiths Urban rifle class, he used a simple 1x1" square centered on a plain 8 1/2x 11 white sheet of paper, have been using these ever since. Works well for zeroing irons or RDS and pretty easy to make your own.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use the Birchwood Casey 12" Sight-in Targets. Gives you a center point to get close, and 4 peripheral targets for adjustment. I shoot a new POA on the target after each adjustment once I get on paper with the center aiming point.

Feedback Score
    Do you all find that the dot show up better on black that white? It seems most of you are shooting black targets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast