Thread: Project Featherweight

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Project Featherweight

This is a carbine I built up for my wife. The goal was to make an extremely lightweight non-SBR. This wasn't meant to be a heavy use gun high round count gun but rather one that would always be near while traveling and that which is easily handled. It weighs 87ozs, aka 5.43lbs. I'm going to coat the barrel, both receivers, receiver extension and Troy tube in Norrels FDE and then Krylon everything. I may replace the front sight with a DD fixed front and use a Surefire X300 in front of it.

Components:

RRA 1x8 16" midlength barrel cut to 14.5" and turned down to .565" barrel profile, chamber reamed from .223 Wylde to 5.56 mm NATO, FSB shaved and then cut in half only using the rear half, PWS FSC556 pinned/welded for 16-1/16th" overall barrel length.
    CMT upper receiver with no dust door or forward assist. I'm using a delrin plug from ADCO to plug the upper receivers hole for the forward assist. JP LMOS carrier (no forward assist cuts) with BCM bolt, cam pin and firing pin. BCM standard charging handle. Double Star lower with Stag lower parts kit. Colt grip and Colt CAR stock. VLTOR receiver extension, BCM castle nut and end plate, CMT CAR buffer and spring. Magpul MOE triggerguard and MBUS sights. Aimpoint H1 in a Daniel Defense Micro mount.

Last edited by Robb Jensen; 10-15-09 at 07:35.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)