Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Featherweight

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Project Featherweight

This is a carbine I built up for my wife. The goal was to make an extremely lightweight non-SBR. This wasn't meant to be a heavy use gun high round count gun but rather one that would always be near while traveling and that which is easily handled. It weighs 87ozs, aka 5.43lbs. I'm going to coat the barrel, both receivers, receiver extension and Troy tube in Norrels FDE and then Krylon everything. I may replace the front sight with a DD fixed front and use a Surefire X300 in front of it.

Components:

RRA 1x8 16" midlength barrel cut to 14.5" and turned down to .565" barrel profile, chamber reamed from .223 Wylde to 5.56 mm NATO, FSB shaved and then cut in half only using the rear half, PWS FSC556 pinned/welded for 16-1/16th" overall barrel length.
    CMT upper receiver with no dust door or forward assist. I'm using a delrin plug from ADCO to plug the upper receivers hole for the forward assist. JP LMOS carrier (no forward assist cuts) with BCM bolt, cam pin and firing pin. BCM standard charging handle. Double Star lower with Stag lower parts kit. Colt grip and Colt CAR stock. VLTOR receiver extension, BCM castle nut and end plate, CMT CAR buffer and spring. Magpul MOE triggerguard and MBUS sights. Aimpoint H1 in a Daniel Defense Micro mount.

Last edited by Robb Jensen; 10-15-09 at 07:35.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That is one slick looking carbine! I like it, nice job.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's incredible! Nice work

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting, in that I'm thinking of doing something similar. Couple of questions:

1) Any concerns with turning down stainless that thin? I know you say it's not a "heavy use" gun but any reason you went stainless and not 4150?

2) I think you posted it before but I can't find it. Have a weight on your uber-shaved FSB? I'm wanting to compare the weight of the TRX setup with shaved FSB to a standard handguard and FSB setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think you posted it before but I can't find it. Have a weight on your uber-shaved FSB?
    Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I weighed some stuff:

FSB = 4.9oz
    my ultra low pro shaved FSB = 1.6 oz.
    cut in 1/2 shaved FSB = 0.7oz
    M16 carrier w/key = 9.7oz
    JP LMOS carrier w/key = 6.7oz

I forget the actual weights but interesting enough the one A1 handguard ring was 1/2 the weight of an A2 delta ring.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting, in that I'm thinking of doing something similar. Couple of questions:

1) Any concerns with turning down stainless that thin? I know you say it's not a "heavy use" gun but any reason you went stainless and not 4150?

2) I think you posted it before but I can't find it. Have a weight on your uber-shaved FSB? I'm wanting to compare the weight of the TRX setup with shaved FSB to a standard handguard and FSB setup.

I used that barrel just because I happened to have sitting in my toolbox not mounted on a gun. It was .650" under the rail behind the gas block, shaved FSB at .750" at the gas seat and .740" forward of it. 4150 chrome lined I'm sure would hold up a lot better in the long run.

I sighted it in the other night and then cranked off 30 rounds in controlled pairs afterward....it gets warm but I've gotten .750" barrels much hotter doing the same thing. When I find it I'll bring my digital pyrometer to the range to measure the heat at the barrel. I went with .565" profile since .550" is what Randall called featherweight. I just wanted to be a tad heavier. By non-heavy use I mean this isn't something I'd use for doing a "break contact" drill (7-8 mags fired rapidly on full auto).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just got 2 DD fixed front sights today, interesting discovery:

DD front sight weighs 1.1oz
    Magpul MBUS front sight weighs 1.3oz (w/o the roll pin that gets inserted after zeroing)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Okay, Robb, so tell us the stock number at VA Arms so we can order one.

Very nice carbine. And even when you add an X300, it's still under six pounds!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Okay, Robb, so tell us the stock number at VA Arms so we can order one.

Very nice carbine. And even when you add an X300, it's still under six pounds!
    It's was just a concept after the work I did for Byron. He started it!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Well, it looks very efficient. I'm in the process of building a carbine like that for my daughter's 18th birthday present.

I've been thinking about one of those BCM lightweight middy barrels for it. Combined with an upper like this, it would be very soft-shooting and still lightweight.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast