Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Featherweight

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are many members on M4C with much more knowledge than I, but what I've gleaned from this forum and various vendors is about 5-6 oz weight savings from a 16" BBL.

Yes, you can re-profile/re-contoured the barrel too. Those who have had this done by Adco have very favorable reviews. The only downside is the cost at $95 + shipping to and from Adco. Not a big expense if you already have a barrel, but perhaps not the best choice if you're considering the purchase of a new M4 barrel and the re-profiling.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You could also take it to a machine shop for profiling. I had my WOA 18" turned down by a local shop in Gainesville for $40.

Feedback Score
    another wat to shave a few ounces would be a slickside upper- adco will drill a hole for a gas tube in a 9mm upper- no forward assist housing or brass deflector

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO
    There is a guy over at TOS that cuts the Cav stock/receivers down (he's from TX) replaces the butt pad with a rubber one. He says that there is a couple oz reduction in weight.
    You have my ear! Please PM his contact info.
    I am interested as well because I would like a shorter LOP on my CAV Arms lower, can you PM me the info as well? Also for the uninitiated what is TOS?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DFW guns in Dallas, I have one of his receivers.

TOS: the other site, Ar15.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    what does a sr15 weigh?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is a carbine I built up for my wife. The goal was to make an extremely lightweight non-SBR. This wasn't meant to be a heavy use gun high round count gun but rather one that would always be near while traveling and that which is easily handled. It weighs 87ozs, aka 5.43lbs. I'm going to coat the barrel, both receivers, receiver extension and Troy tube in Norrels FDE and then Krylon everything. I may replace the front sight with a DD fixed front and use a Surefire X300 in front of it.

Components:

RRA 1x8 16" midlength barrel cut to 14.5" and turned down to .565" barrel profile, chamber reamed from .223 Wylde to 5.56 mm NATO, FSB shaved and then cut in half only using the rear half, PWS FSC556 pinned/welded for 16-1/16th" overall barrel length.
    CMT upper receiver with no dust door or forward assist. I'm using a delrin plug from ADCO to plug the upper receivers hole for the forward assist. JP LMOS carrier (no forward assist cuts) with BCM bolt, cam pin and firing pin. BCM standard charging handle. Double Star lower with Stag lower parts kit. Colt grip and Colt CAR stock. VLTOR receiver extension, BCM castle nut and end plate, CMT CAR buffer and spring. Magpul MOE triggerguard and MBUS sights. Aimpoint H1 in a Daniel Defense Micro mount.

Hey Robb,

Do you have any pics of this? PM inbound as well.

Tony

Feedback Score

Wife's 16" Bushmaster Super Lt.Wt. barrel
    Larue .625 gas block
    PRI middie tube with light wt Al barrel nut
    VLTOR FDE Imod stock
    Last edited by 9DivDoc; 05-29-10 at 21:59.
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    You have my ear! Please PM his contact info.
    Hey Rob,
    Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics ( www.rifledynamics.com ) cuts them down too, and in fact carries them in stock, in a variety of lengths.
    Sherman A. House, DDS

DISCLOSURE STATEMENT:
    I am a consultant and tester for Barrett Firearms Manufacturing and the Outpost Armory LLC, Christiana TN.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House View Post
    Hey Rob,
    Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics ( www.rifledynamics.com ) cuts them down too, and in fact carries them in stock, in a variety of lengths.
    Thanks I'll look into that, she shoot an old CAR stock like that 1 click out.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast