Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Featherweight

Feedback Score
    It may seem counter intuitive, and it is easy to reverse, but try adding some weight to the rear, be it heavier stock, buffer, whatever. It can give the feel of a lighter rifle because it feels less front heavy.

And I agree. Whatever gets em shooting or at least letting you do it!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm going to coat the barrel, both receivers, receiver extension and Troy tube in Norrels FDE and then Krylon everything.
    I'm curious, why would you do it in Norrels and then throw Krylon on top?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    These lightweight builds keep drawing my attention. I keep thinking that one of the upcoming BCM lightweight uppers combined with the Troy TRX or the Troy/Viking Tactics version would be a great lightweight build...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Robb, have you thought about possibly replacing the X300 with a Streamlight TLR-3?

I have been using one on an M&P9C for a while now and have been impressed with it's small size and light output. Durability seems on par with the TLR-1 and such, but it only weighs 2.32 ounces.

http://www.streamlight.com/news_let/09_q2/tlr3.html
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-12-09 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Is the TLR-3 tailpiece similar to the TLR-1? I can't find any back end pics after a quick search.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Is the TLR-3 tailpiece similar to the TLR-1? I can't find any back end pics after a quick search.
    Yes it is very similar, I will try to take some pics when I get a chance.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks! I'm looking for a small LED weaponlight, and this is the first I've heard of the -3.

Feedback Score
    GotM4,

Been mulling an ultralight AR for a walking varminter some time, but keep backburnering for other things/bills. With some decent lowers going for under $100 these days I may get off my butt.

My goal is a 20-in A1 profile with the lightest fixed stock available and a very light fixed 4 or 6X scope. A faster twist might be better though TSX bullets make heavier bullets not necessary.

While this could be pressed into service in a fight it is to be mostly a hunting gun.

What would your recipe/blueprint be to get something like that under 6 lbs.?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    GotM4,

Been mulling an ultralight AR for a walking varminter some time, but keep backburnering for other things/bills. With some decent lowers going for under $100 these days I may get off my butt.

My goal is a 20-in A1 profile with the lightest fixed stock available and a very light fixed 4 or 6X scope. A faster twist might be better though TSX bullets make heavier bullets not necessary.

While this could be pressed into service in a fight it is to be mostly a hunting gun.

What would your recipe/blueprint be to get something like that under 6 lbs.?
    I think that would be pretty hard to reach. Most scopes w/mounts are going to be at least 1lb. You might look at a 18-20" ABS carbon fiber barrel to save some weight typically these are 1-2lbs lighter than a standard barrel. For a lower I would go with a Cav Arms lower (A1 length). JP LMOS carrier and LMOS rifle buffer and spring.

Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Robb, have you thought about possibly replacing the X300 with a Streamlight TLR-3?

I have been using one on an M&P9C for a while now and have been impressed with it's small size and light output. Durability seems on par with the TLR-1 and such, but it only weighs 2.32 ounces.

http://www.streamlight.com/news_let/09_q2/tlr3.html
    I did install a TLR-3 just last week. It's is a little lighter and a little taller than the X300. So you do see a tiny bit more of the light when using the iron sights. Not a big deal on this gun since it's primary sight is the Aimpoint.

Last edited by Robb Jensen; 12-01-09 at 07:30.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    The Cav arms lower uses a carbine buffer/spring setup.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast