Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backup change of clothes?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have several pairs of original Royal Robbins pants that could easily go in this kit. There are some environments where I think they are a little too "tactical" looking, but they'd do in a pinch.

Probably a solid-color polo from Old Navy which I think are something like 15 bucks. Maybe a grey or something. Don't want to pair anything with the RR pants that will combine to look to tactical, but green might be a nice choice.

I'm also in need of a new pair of hiking boots, so maybe the old pair of Vasques could just live in the truck.

Then throw in the UA gear that I already have and I should be good. Vaccuum sealer can do double duty as we want to start freezing more food anyway, and they make for faster marinating times and more thorough soaking.
    Last edited by rob_s; 10-16-09 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rob- Vasque makes a good boot. Have had good results with several pairs that were used hard. Make sure you don't marinate a shirt.

Feedback Score
    Change of clothes and a sheet or something to cover the seat.

Picture a young man on a construction site with a brand new Ranger pickup. It was soo brand new I watched them back it off the truck.

It came a flash flood in the form I was working in and I was covered from head to toe in red clay mud. Even my underwear was muddy.

Bless my mom for thinking about "saw dust" on my clothes. I wore that flowery bed sheet home and prayed I didn't get stopped by the police and have to explain why I was wearing a bed sheet.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I think a change of cloths (seasonal dependent) including an old, but still serviceable, pair of hiking boots, is a good idea.

As many have mentioned, it could come in handy for many of life's non-SHTF moments.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having a change of clothes is handy, as is having some basic hygiene products. SHTF/TEOTWAWKI nonsense aside, think about having a kid throw up on you at a sports stadium, breaking down in an unfamiliar town and having to stay overnight waiting for a car part, getting stuck at a remote truckstop in a blizzard, or needing something to get home from an ER in after your clothese were cut off in an MVA.

One can get an awful lot of comfort out of a small backpack, making a little adversity quite tolerable.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Great thread...for us that single and dating there's nothing like having a hoe bag in the vehicle for a quick change of clothes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a member of a CERT team, I carry an old but comfortable cargo pants, a comfortable t-shirt, socks, underwear and a set of running shoes past age in miles but still good to go. They're not so much for CERT activities as just spares should I have a flat and need to get in the mud when dressed in a suit. I also have a rain suit for this as well.

None of this was purchased new as I'm too cheap but also that not knowing when I'll use them, I want to be comfortable. It most likely won't be a time to break in new clothes...

Feedback Score
    Here's what I'm using as backup change in trunk of car:
    1 pair khaki tactical pants (will probably be replaced with the discounted black Vertx pants once my order arrives)
    1 'convertible' long sleeve button up shirt (long sleeve that can roll up and button sleeves to make short sleeve; I own and would recommend good quick drying and lightweight ones are made by North Face, ExOfficio, or Columbia)
    2 pairs dark athletic performance socks (whatever your preference, but make sure they're moisture wicking and quick drying; I'm using adidas which I think breathe better than UA)
    1 pair ExOfficio Give-N-Go boxers (these are lightweight and very fast drying, and are by far the best underwear I've seen and better and more useful than the UA stuff; I'm currently converting to only use these)
    1 pair dark New Balance trail running shoes

With that single change of clothes I can walk into a business casual environment, a restaraunt, or go hiking in the forest. That's the best that I've come up with as far as being multipurpose yet retaining all the features of stuff I use in everyday life. I plan on throwing another set of the above (minus shoes) into my BOB. With 2 pairs of ExOfficio underwear (one on your person, one in BOB) you can go indefintely (just rinse one in sink at night and let dry for a couple of hours and rotate as frequently as you'd like or need), and the same goes for traveling for extended periods of time with 2 pairs of ExOfficio underwear.
    Last edited by NinjaTactics; 02-18-10 at 01:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    shovel
    2 sets gloves
    balaclava
    watch cap
    Arctic carharrt Jacket
    Flanel Carhart pants
    Danner boots
    2 warm socks
    minus 30 sleep bag
    Very sharp hatchet
    emergency pack with food, fire, stove,1st aid kit, coffe, sugar, espresso maker, etc.
    compass
    maps
    batteries
    2 hand lights
    spare mags
    spare folding knife
    Leatherman Wave
    glasses
    2 Headlamps
    Fanny Pack with 44Mag Mountain Gun and 2 spare speedloaders of Corbon 300gr JSP
    Pointing Dog Journals

2 sets of certain items that might come in handy so your buddy has no excuse to not help dig you out

When in Africa a different list...
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 02-18-10 at 04:10.

Feedback Score
    i've kept a change of clothes in the truck for quite a while. i don't worry about packing it in a bag or otherwise sealing it up because usually i just need socks or a shirt and not much more so loose in the pack is fine.

i keep 2 pairs of polypro socks, at least one t shirt, a surplus fleece "Spears" jacket that was $20 at a gunshow, aM65 field jacket (one of the few things in the truck that's some kind of camo) a watch cap, a baseball hat (one of the 99¢ ones from LApolicegear) leather work gloves that fit well, fleece gloves for cold weather and a spare pair of shades. i eneed to add a spare pair of cargo pants but they didn't get back in after the last time i used them. my daily wear belt is a Frequent Flyer from The Wilderness that was mentioned earlier. i also keep bottled water, toothbrush and toothpaste and a small bottle of mouthwash in the truck, plus the FAK, baby wipes, and other useful bits and pieces.

last time i needed a shirt was at work when i showed up dressed nice one day and then had to go dig in the warehouse.

unless you live in an area where camo is normal attire, i'd suggest something a little "grayer". i'd want to be able to wear the clothes from the pack at work all day or to the store without looking out of place.

even the pack is just a "normal" daypack in a subdued color.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast