Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brief Review of the Springfield Professional Operator

Feedback Score
    Outstanding article! You won't find this kind of review in any gun rag I've ever read.

FWIW, when I decided to go back to carrying a 1911 on patrol, I started with a TRP (which is a lot of gun for the money, but not a Pro). I installed a 10-8 slidestop when it was new and it never found a mag it didn't like after that. I now carry a NHC 10-8 pistol (as I still don't have the patience to wait a year for a good duty pistol).

I also carried the AE Nelson quad mag pouch for awhile, but I recently replaced it with a Safariland 277 quad pouch. It fits flatter (probably not much more than a Glock 21 pouch) so I think I'll stay with it.

The 1911 may be a little heavy, but it sure feels good in these old hands when I pull it.

Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sff70 View Post
    I remember hearing about all kinds of (alleged) problems with the pistols Baer built on the Para frames, and then FBI brought Steve Nastoff in to work on them, etc.

Can anyone verify what happened back then, and what HRT is using now?
    the way it was explained to me steve went thru the guns and replaced things like extractos,sears, firing pins with wilson bullet proof series and he also went thru the magazine tweeked them alittle and replaced the springs with wolfe extra power springs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Minor clarification: the Professional (nee Bureau Model) won the FBI SWAT selection, not HRT's, and the guns sold to the public are made to SWAT's specifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltblitz View Post
    Todd,
    I'm pretty sure HRT spec'ed the guns and they were adopted by HRT as well as the regional SWAT teams. I know HRT had used P35's and later the Les Baer/Para combo guns. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the when the contract went out HRT was the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911pro View Post
    Good write up. I love the two Professionals that I own. I agree that HRT spec'ed the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    no boys, Todd's right the gun was spec. for FBI SWAT first, the only thing that was HRT spec. was the use of the railed frame. the original spec. swat gun did not have the railed frame.
    From what Mr Dave Williams (Springfield Custom Shop) told me..Swat and HRT both fall under a group within the FBI that designed and made the requirements for the pistol. And that Swat was the first to field test the pistol.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

ToddG Guest
    When the SWAT gun (Springfield Professional) was being tested & procured, HRT was still using its Les Baers ... or trying to, at least. It was only later that HRT decided to adopt the SWAT gun with some modifications.

Feedback Score
    Excellent write up. Just one small correction though. Believe it or not, the slide stops are not forged. They're MIM. In fact, the following parts on the Pro are MIM: slide stop, mag catch, firing pin stop and disconnector. This is per Deb from the Springfield Custom Shop. Now that may have changed, but that's what it was a few years ago.
    I have to admit that it bothered me to know this but the fact is, quality MIM parts can be very strong and more than adequate for certain applications. You just don't hear of these parts breaking on the Pro.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great Write-up, informative as well in regards to the specs/info about the Bureau guns.

Feedback Score
    I love my PRO.. i have the standard variation.

I think i need an operator to go with it

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Excellent write up. Just one small correction though. Believe it or not, the slide stops are not forged. They're MIM. In fact, the following parts on the Pro are MIM: slide stop, mag catch, firing pin stop and disconnector. This is per Deb from the Springfield Custom Shop. Now that may have changed, but that's what it was a few years ago.
    I have to admit that it bothered me to know this but the fact is, quality MIM parts can be very strong and more than adequate for certain applications. You just don't hear of these parts breaking on the Pro.
    The beavertail is also a MIM part according to a recent email from Deb at the Custom shop. The 20 LPI front strap is also hand checkered on the Professional unlike the machine checkering done on the TRP.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I have talked to Dave Williams about the MIM concern. It is all in the quality of the MIM part. Kimber used some cheap MIM stuff for a while giving it a bad name. Per Dave, Springfield has had less failures with their MIM parts than with other manufactors (forged) parts that they had been purchasing and using in their guns. Just like everything else it depends on who makes it for you and how much you want to spend on the MIM part. Their are crappy forged parts out there also. Remember the Pro is basically a Custom Carry spec,ed like the Swat,HRT wanted them. A whole lot of Custom Carrys have been shot alot with no problems with the MIM parts. I would put my two Pros up against a Baer or Wilson with no worry. I do not feel creeped by MIM anymore
    "No you do not have to think; it is an act of moral choice. But someone had to think to keep you alive; if you choose to default, you default on existance and you pass the deficit to some moral man, expecting him to sacrifice his good for the sake of letting you survive by your evil." - John Galt

Feedback Score
    Great review and great pics.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast