Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gas piston question

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, i cant get into pistons simply because as a shooter of 16 inch guns the piston offers me nothing but headaches. I shoot them significantly worse even when set up similarly to my DI guns.

Whether its the "front heavy" nature of the guns or what i simply dont know.

To actually offer something constructive to this thread other than my observations and opinions i would suggest that anyone that is interested in picking up a piston gun give one a try before plunking down the cashola.

Preferably shoot both a DI and a piston gun side by side to see which you prefer but be aware that they may not be set up optimally on either end.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Come on guys, just because someones opinion differs from yours doesn't mean they hate something. This isn't third grade so stop getting bent out of shape when people don't jump up and down and wet themselves at the mention of something you like.

Nobody here hates piston guns. Just because someone can't see the need for one doesn't mean they hate it. If you want one or think they offer YOU benefits over a DI gun then by all means get one, shot the piss out of it, take pictures and post away about it.

But don't label others as haters just because they choose to stick with DI guns for now.

For the record I really, really, really want one of those new Colt piston guns!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The notion that someone would put that much effort into "hating" an inanimate object is pretty funny.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    As another poster mentioned earlier, piston guns tend to be kind of front heavy anyway so I find their muzzle rise tends to be less than a comparable DI gun. I find the recoil to be about the same although I continually hear that some people feel that piston guns have more felt recoil. One of these days I'll identically equip an LWRC and DI gun and try and do a "Pepsi challenge" where the shooter is handed a weapon not knowing which is which and get some feedback.

I like piston guns (LWRC specifically) over DI because I do all my shooting suppressed and all my regular use or training guns are <14.5" (usually I shot a 10.5" suppressed). If I had the ability, like Grant, to tune a DI gun to work ideally with a can I might try it, but I don't. The Noveske switchblock looks like a great option for someone who doesn't like the idea of a piston operated AR.

I've got a total of 20,000+ rounds through 5 different LWRC's over the past 3 years and have been very satisfied with their performance. Their latest guns are some of the best built M16FOW carbines currently available, DI or piston.

Stephen

ATTN rightwingmaniac! This is how a piston fan interacts with people that are not piston fans. He explains his POV, advises that some people might also be right and makes no ignorant statement such as: Law enforcement agency XYZ is running these guns or "Let the hating commence!"

C4

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    The notion that someone would put that much effort into "hating" an inanimate object is pretty funny.
    Exactly! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Right you are. Growing up, my Father would never allow me to say that I hated something.

This still carries with me today. I don't hate anything. There are somethings that I dislike and would never own though.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-05-09 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    There are somethings that I dislike and would never own though.
    C4
    Enidine Buffer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stephen who shoots the tar out of piston guns made my point better than I could. There are definitely benefits to a piston but unless you want a very short barrel, or plan on shooting suppressed most of the time, you probably will never realize those benefits with the pistons that are available now.

I should also note that the LWRC upper that was showing issues was manufactured a while back, and it's entirely possible that they are tuning them more consistently now. However my point that they come with their own set of issues stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigating Collapse View Post
    Enidine Buffer
    One of these days I'd like to go back and find out just how many of the "why am I short stroking," or "why am I not locking back" threads involved an Enidine buffer.

My guess is more than half, and of those 99% were fixed by removing the hydraulic wonder thingy. I also think that the vast majority of them were installed before the first rounds were ever fired down the barrel, otherwise why would they even need to ask the question?
    Last edited by thopkins22; 11-05-09 at 13:02.

Feedback Score
    Both DI and Piston AR's are good weapons. Both have small advantages and disadvantages over one another.
    Its a lot like the Ford versus Chevy thing. You either love one or the other and will stand by your team.

A lot of people on here bash piston AR's and say that it wasnt designed for a piston and I know JoeBlo who had one that wouldnt shoot. Whatever. Talk about third grade!
    I have owned 7 piston AR's and have yet to have any of them fail on me. None . Zero!
    If piston AR's are so bad why did the Marine Corp choose it as the IAR weapon? That is a service where you need a robust platform that will take hard abuse. And guess what , it doesnt have a 10'' barrel to justify needing a piston. It also beat out a newly designed from the ground up piston weapon. SCAR

Now if you want to argue that the average shooter doesnt need a piston AR ,that is silly too. If that is the case then he doesnt need a DI AR either. Any simple rusty AK should do just fine.
    What is wrong with the average shooter with a 16'' barrel owning a Piston Driven AR?

Both Piston and DI AR's will work fine for regular people. Dont let anyone try to fool you either way.

My personal beleif is that a good piston designed AR such as HK and LWRCI will run longer than a comparable DI AR in harsh conditions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345