Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barell break in?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Barell break in?

I have read a few different posts on various forums about breaking in new barells. I have a new, never fired S&W M&P15A with a 16" chrome lined 1:9 twist barell. Is it necessary for me to go through a certain process to break my barell in? I'v heard things like you are supposed to fire 1 round then run a patch down the barell, repeat 5 times, then ten rounds followed by another patch, repeat 5 times etc... I never really understood what this does to help break it in. I recall most of the times I'v read about this were reguarding precision shooting, but if it will help me get more accuracy out of my gun, then I'll give it a shot. I just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts on this and possibly, if this is a good idea, an actual sequence of firing/cleaning to do it properly. And I apologize if this is a topic that has been gone over a million times or something, but I am having a hard time finding anything about the subject here.

Thanks, Mark

Feedback Score
    Chrome lined barrels require no break in.
    Just shoot it as if it were already broken in.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 11-05-09 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    Yes it has been discussed a million times, and most say just shoot it. You may never notice a difference, and there's no way to scientifically know anyhow. IMHO cleaning CL every 1,5,or 10 rounds like a CM or SS barrel is silly.

But if you are interested enough to try, it does seem logical you can burnish the bore--and make it potentially more accurate and easier to clean copper out in the future--if you are thoughtful in the beginning. Search on how to polish the throat. But I don't clean at the range...only between outings.

Just my 2 cents and YMMV.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    here is another method of break in. make sure she is unloaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Eh, I just shoot it. It's not like it's a long range bolt rifle.
    Last edited by Blob; 11-05-09 at 18:55.
    I like girl scout cookies.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yes i figured that most would say just shoot it but I may actually give breaking in a try. My initial thought was that this barrel being chrome lined would not be effected, and that the only people who do it are those with SS target barrels but what the heck, ill try and let you guys know how it comes out. Like I will be able to tell any difference anyways...*rolls eyes*.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just shoot it. CL requires no break in. Even Noveske's SS barrels state there's no break in required and they know a shit-ton more about quality barrels than I ever will.

I leave the barrel break in for my precision rig (which is almost finished).
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html Gale McMillan's thoughts on barrel breakin.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Never even gave it a thought with any AR model, never had an issue as a result.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    So is breaking-in barrels going the way of Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP...for nostalgic use only?

Maybe it's pointless, and you sure don't want to do more harm than good, but I still don't mind the process, kinda therapuetic: "keep the copper out till it has a chance to burnish."

http://68forums.com/forums/archive/i...hp?t-5090.html
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast