Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas piston question

Feedback Score

Gas piston question

Hello. Great site. I am looking forward to purchasing a new AR 15 for general self defense/ plinking and because I like them in the next 2 months and need recommendations on POF p415-18 versus LWRC m6a3 in the 18 inch barrel. Two questions: What are your thoughts? 2. What are the other top 1 or 2 gas piston AR's out there? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyguns View Post
    Hello. Great site. I am looking forward to purchasing a new AR 15 for general self defense/ plinking and because I like them in the next 2 months and need recommendations on POF p415-18 versus LWRC m6a3 in the 18 inch barrel. Two questions: What are your thoughts? 2. What are the other top 1 or 2 gas piston AR's out there? Thanks.

Based on feedback Id go with LWRC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyguns View Post
    for #2 what are other top pistons ?
    I would say look at a LMT for piston ?

for your other questions what are my thoughts ?
    in non piston there are a ton of options
    KAC, Noveske, Colt, LMT would be my top choice in other rifles
    I have a LMT piston and regular DI type LMT also ? to me pistons are fun and unique but not needed and are not the holy grail some make them out to be ? its just something unique and fun
    if someone told you or you read on some other site they are the end all of end all designs and DI (regular) AR suck dont listen to them !!!

since you have time spend lots of time reading lots of posts here find a rifle you like do some searches here find the pros and cons and do that with each rifle

Feedback Score
    I appreciate both Honu and Belmont 31 of for your help. I will take my time looking. Good shooting to you!

Feedback Score
    many dea agents have championed numerous narcotic operations with the m6 series from lwrci. lwrci has concentrated its efforts to eliminate the shortcomings of the m16 - m4 di guns. their nitro-carborized cold hammer forged barrels are top of the line. i know, i own one my self in 6.8spc.

i used to own a pof-usa 415. i just sold it. it was a nice gun, i just prefer the lwrci.

ive shoot my brothers hk 416 also. i like it also, but still prefer the lwrci over it.

the lwrci is lighter than both of them (not a fan of big rails).

i cant comment on other pistons systems because i havent shot them.

what you have to be aware of on the internet is people that will bash weapons they have no exp. with.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwingmaniac View Post
    lwrci has concentrated its efforts to eliminate the shortcomings of the m16 - m4 di guns.
    In an effort to move the OP forward toward the right purchase, please outline the shortcomings of the M16 & M4 that LWRCi eliminated.

Feedback Score
    i have an m6a2 which was intended to be my go to gun but it's not. at best it's a 3 moa weapon and it takes just as long to clean as my colt and e3 because of the time it takes to get the rail covers off of the rail and then strip and reassemble.

i wouldn't say the quality is outstanding but it's not bad either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am bias towards POF, I'll put that out there from the get go. but I just got a brand new 18" POF upper and it is shooting great. it has kept moa and sub moa so far with just some rough attempts for descent groups. Temporary scope on it and have not started to reload for it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miale View Post
    i have an m6a2 which was intended to be my go to gun but it's not. at best it's a 3 moa weapon and it takes just as long to clean as my colt and e3 because of the time it takes to get the rail covers off of the rail and then strip and reassemble.

i wouldn't say the quality is outstanding but it's not bad either.
    It shouldn't take that long to clean, since as the manual states, you only need to clean the piston system every 5000 rounds or so. I get my M6A1 upper clean in fairly short order. Of course I do field cleanings, not detail cleanings as my norm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MK18Pilot View Post
    In an effort to move the OP forward toward the right purchase, please outline the shortcomings of the M16 & M4 that LWRCi eliminated.
    im glad you asked mr pilot,

The main improvement comes from the self-regulating short-stroke gas-piston system. This system eliminates the venting of hot, carbon-laden gases into the receiver and bolt carrier group, eliminating the intensive cleaning of DI rifles.

the bolt carrier group and associated springs are not subjected to the searing heat of the tapped gasses, this being one of the major causes of small parts failure. This means that gas piston rifles (LWRCI) are more reliable than DI guns.

Another benefit of a short-stroke gas-piston system is the improved handling characteristics of the weapon over the DI guns. Recoil is lighter and muzzle rise is greatly reduced.

the short-stroke gas-piston system is only one of the improvements LWRCI has made. the rifles utilize cold hammer forged barrels made out of 41V45 steel alloy and treated with NiCorr (nitrocarberization) surface conversion .

Cold hammer forging takes an oversized barrel blank, and using high pressure rotary hammers, compacts the barrel blank over a mandrel. This forms perfect rifling devoid of tool marks. It also compacts the molecular structure of the metal making it denser and stronger.

These barrels can take a lot more use and abuse than a standard barrel before any degrading, proving more lubricious, harder wearing, more heat and corrosion resistant than the hard chrome normally used.

the barrels are said to be good for 20,000 rounds. i dont think ill ever find this out. 6.8 ammo is really expensive right now.

the 1 piece bolt carriers of M6 rifles are coated with nickel which nearly eliminates corrosion and provides increased lubricity.

now let the hating begin!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast