Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new knife...

Feedback Score

I need a new knife...

I need a new carry knife. I'm leaning towards going back to a Benchmade. Suggestions? Discuss.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've been using a KA-BAR Maserin for a couple three years now. I really like it, just the right size and it's stout, keeps a good edge, it's non serrated. I don't abuse my knives, but I use them though. Mine is an older model and the blade is more the shape of the handle.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...urpose/Utility

I have a real Emerson chisel point, nice, but just doesn't seem to be sharp or actually get a good edge.

Speaking of sharp, the squad gave me a Kershaw for Christmas, nice, second one I own, very good edge.

I guess this is an everyday carry knife? I've found that the huge ones aren't carry friendly as one would like.

I still have my Buck knive that I skinned rats with when I was young(Muskrats that is)

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm assuming that you're looking for an every day knife that will be used more for tasks than for fighting, but that could be used for fighting if the situation presented itself? Do you have a price range you're looking at?

I make no secret of the fact that I am a huge Benchmade fan. Admittedly, the people I tried to talk to at their main booth at SHOT were pretty stand-offish, but I still like the product. They pretty much have something for every use and every budget.

Personally, I'd take anything in an axis lock, model and size dependent on use and budget.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I purchased a Benchmade Mini Gripatilian Tanto in OD from Grant and I'm extremely happy with it carry it everyday. It's smaller than a full size but it fits nicely in a pair of Dockers and no one gasp when you pull it out to cut something.

557SBKOD

Feedback Score
    I carry a Benchmade... plastic handle but decent (ATS-34?) steel. I think it's called the Eclipse.

It's a tip-down carry model, which I like. It seems like Benchmade has been moving more toward tip-up carry models, which I don't like.

Mark
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One more vote for benchmade. I have had nothing but good experinces with their products. I have been carrying at least one of my AFCKs everyday for the better part of ten years. A buddy of mine has the newer one with an axis lock and it feels quite sturdy and opens smooth as silk with no blade wobble.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd recommend a Strider or Strider/Onion designed ZT knife (I just saw these at SHOT) they are quite nice.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Although they weigh more in general, I like the metal handled ones. I just think they're less prone to break with hard use.

I had one of those Emerson Commanders once. If you didn't constantly check the tightness, it would come open on you. Kind of scary when you look down and see it poked through the side of your pocket. Nice knife, sharp, well built.

Funny story for those familair with that type of knife. As you know, it can be opened fast as it's pulled from the pocket. The catch on the blade is "hooked" on the pant and opens the blade.

A SEAL buddy of mine has one, shows me how fast it is. He also warns me to be careful, very sharp and you may cut your ass once or twice learning to open it up. Of course, I smirk and laugh at him, whatever retard.

So, I go to Extreme Pricing and get one. So I decide to practice some, and proceed to slice a couple holes in my new Levi's. A week later, I see my buddy. He says "cut yourself yet" I give him that look like he was on crack asking me such a thing. he gives me a look, like "f'ing liar" Of course, the slices in my right rear pocket tell the truth. He just laughs at me.
    So, I decide to practice some more one morning after the boss goes to work. I put it my pocket and start my practice draws, getting pretty good at it now, no cuts in my jeans. I decide to speed it up some now. Mind you, my wife just got a whole bedroom set a week prior.
    I draw and open it up in lightning speed but hear this strange sound. What the f was that I think to myself--then saw the nice slice on the new bedspread. I'm standing there, saying every cuss word I ever knew and evenmade some new ones. This was the time around Toy Story when The guys sews up Sheriff Woody and I think, I can fix this. So, I get out the handy dandy sewing kit the Mother in Law gave us, every color in the rainbow in it. An hour later and 5 colors of thread, I think, "man, that looks pretty damn good!"

Later that day, she gets home and comes into the bedroom, leans across the bed to smooth out my attempt to make the bed. As she does this, her hand misses the spot by a sliver. Wide eyed and crapping my pants, she aske dme what's wrong, nothing, let's go to the kitchen and make dinner, I'm hungry.

Time passes, and slowly, it leaves my memory.--Until about almost a year later. She calls me at work saying "when where you going to tell me" I'm thinking, man, I've done nothing wrong, go to work, go home, I can't figure out what it is. She ask, "when did you cut the bedspread?" Ooooh, thaat--hey pretty good sew job, huh?

I told her how she almost found it that night------
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Mark, that's pretty funny. I've been fortunate and never cut anything I wasnt supposed to with my Emerson Commander.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Mark, that's pretty funny. I've been fortunate and never cut anything I wasnt supposed to with my Emerson Commander.
    I sold it before I hurt myself.

Not "Tactical" but a simple folder like the Swiss Army is usefull for alot of chores.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/...product=53941&
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast