Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk262 Mod 0/ 1 ??'s

Feedback Score

Mk262 Mod 0/ 1 ??'s

I was at the local Gun Store/Range yesterday and happened to notice some white 50 rd boxes of “Mk262 Mod0” ammo for $39.99 each.
    It was manufactured by “GunSmoke”(?IIRC). I didn’t have time to get into any questions with anyone knowledgeable on it as the guy I asked didn’t know anything about it. Nor, apparently, did the guy when I called back today and was told it was regular 62gr 5.56mm ammo..Oops!!

Anyway have any of you guys ever come across this stuff before and if so is it a close copy to the real mk262?

Thanks in advance..

SR
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 10-22-09 at 17:43. Reason: Fixed it
    ....."They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again; They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time; They sleep beyond England's foam".....

Feedback Score
    Probably get more response if you posted this on the ammo and reloading forum.

Feedback Score
    Roger that...Mods..sorry if this is in the wrong forum..
    Will repost there.....
    SR
    ....."They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again; They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time; They sleep beyond England's foam".....

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Mk 262 MOD 0/1 ammo is not 62gr. it is 77.gr. The original ammo was and is made by Black Hills Ammo. The primary difference between the two rounds is the adding of a cannelure to the MOD 1 bullet to prevent set back of the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by SloaneRanger View Post
    Roger that...Mods..sorry if this is in the wrong forum..
    Will repost there.....
    SR

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Here's a poor quality iPhone pic.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    That's the real deal box for it.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses, Fellers..

Iraqgunz.. Thanks for the info on the cannelure mod0/mod1 variants. I knew the MK262 was a 77gr BTHP/Open tip match..Was there also a switch between a Nosler and a Sierra bullet or am I way out of my lane on that one?. I am guessing it also has the crimped primers like my XM193.

Shark..
    The box at the store looks nothing like that at all. This stuff is not in a milSurp/Lake City XM193 type box but is in a commercially made box that looks to me like it comes from a small batch manufacturing outfit.

Is there a commercial source for milspec Mk262Mod1. Will the red box black hills stuff sometimes available from Cabelas have the cannelure, correct primer and same pressures as Mk262Mod1?

Thanks…SR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Yup, that's a BHA lot#.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SloaneRanger View Post

Is there a commercial source for milspec Mk262Mod1. Will the red box black hills stuff sometimes available from Cabelas have the cannelure, correct primer and same pressures as Mk262Mod1?
    I get the Blue box "remanufactured" 77gr SMK from any place that stocks them, typically Midway. Most likely not the same powder recipe, but at least Black Hills is making them. Brass is polished and some are even NATO stamped cases.

Silver State Armory claims they have a similar product to the Mk262 Mod1. I have some, but haven't shot any yet. Real Mk262 Mod1 is hard to come by. All I can say is that the 77gr is very accurate at long range for me. Then again, I'm used to shooting plinking ammo like Walmart/Federal 100 round value pack stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    None of that stuff has been released to the civilian market. Any found in gun store or gun broker is probably stolen.

Dan Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast