Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bore or Max Capacity Fire Power

Feedback Score
    Semper Fi.

There is a big difference between a typical CCW shooting and a firefight. For military purposes more rounds is always, always, better. You have multiple threats over a period of time and don't know when you will get resupplied. CCW not so much but I would still err on the side of more rather than less. Obviously the ability to hit what you are shooting under stress is paramount over anything else though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I can comfortably carry a fullsize M&P45, which holds 10+1 rounds. That is the only way I would rock a .45 compared to a 9mm. But between a 6+1 G36 or a 15+1 G19? The 19 everytime. I feel confident enough in my ability to carry a smaller round and place them where they need to go. I really have no preferance though - .45, 9mm, I dont care. Just whatever I'm feeling that day. It does give me warm and fuzzies to send that .45 slug downrange though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    It does give me warm and fuzzies to send that .45 slug downrange though.
    I know how that new "warm and fuzzies" for the Federal Tactical 230gr HST H/P .45acp slug feels now that I have them loaded into my new Duty Glock Model-21SF. But to be honest if they would have up-graded my old Glock Model-17 to Federals Tactical 124gr or 147gr HST H/P's from the old Federal Classic 115gr H/P (BP9) then I may have never switched. It maybe years before they up-grade the current (BP9) 9mm ammo since they have a ton of the old stuff and want to issue it until its gone. Its a shame really but its all about PPD budget dollars and not about the individual officers safety by issuing the best duty ammunition possible.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The budget is what holds back the potential of having a very well trained and equipped police department. When I took over as firearms instructor at my PD, the first thing I did was clean out the arms room. There were boxes and boxes of ammo with numbers written on them. If they took 5 rounds out of the box they would write it down. The old chief would account for every PRACTICE round. Officers here fired a total of 60 pistol rounds 9mm (bp9) and 10 12ga rounds A YEAR! When I got the department to trade in their 14 year old Sig 228 9mm's for Glock 22s I told them that they would need a 250 round break in period, they flipped! Poor or sub-standard equipment and training can lead to law suits. Good ammo, well maintained guns and decent training can save millions in the long run.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Poor or sub-standard equipment and training can lead to law suits. Good ammo, well maintained guns and decent training can save millions in the long run.
    It is sad that bureaucrats need that kind of language to understand reality.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    I have both the Springfield XD 5" 45, and the Springfield SD 4" 9MM. Both are on my CCW, and both are effective. However there is one other gun which would be the best of both worlds. The Glock or XD 40. The 40 cal is the choice of most Federal Agencies, and for good reason. It has the penetration and hitting capacity of both the 45 and 9mm.
    I am not a ballistician, nor will I get into which is better, but having shot a Glock 22 for 5 years, and seeing what it can do, I am sold.
    Between the hi cap, and the dead accurary, you would be hard pressed to out do it.
    Phil Hagoes
    SOTECH Sniper Line Manager
    www.sotechsnipergear.com
    www.sotechsnipergear@gmail.com
    702-427-2233

If it was easy anybody could do it, and then it would'nt matter...

Victory is where 10,000 hours of training meet up with one moment of opportunity.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The one saving grace that my department has is that they allow you 100rds a day, 500rds Max a week for practice on the departments outdoor range. Thats 26,000rds a year if you brave the weather and shoot every day Monday thur Friday, all 52 weeks of the year. I do take advantage and hit the range every time I possibly can working that Glock Model-21SF until its second nature. I maintain a log book on rounds fired so to keep the practice of changing the recoil spring every 2000rds and the magazine and firing pin springs every 10,000rds fired. I do a detailed strip and clean every Sunday without fail so hopefully with the spring changes and the TLC the Model-21SF will last as long as my Model-17 did giving 20yrs of perfect service.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Philly, how many guys take advantage of the daily and weekly ammo relinquishment? I am allowed to give out 50 rounds a month per officer and NO ONE ever signs out ammo. We are all given FREE membership to the gun club and the club is in our jurisdiction so we can actually go while on duty. I am the only one that goes other than qualification days. Kinda going off thread topic here, sorry.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I personally think they are apples and oranges that can both do the job.

You probably need to decide on the most likely potential threat. 1-2 attackers during car jacking, home invasion, mugging.........or...........surrounded by large number of gangbangers or zombies. I know LA PD that can carry a 45 and choose a Glock 9 because they are regularly surrounded by 20 plus gangbangers at an arrest. I know LA PD that carry 1911s in 45 and it works for their mission.

I would prefer a 45 any day over a 9mm, but if the realities of your potential # of attackers exceed 2-3 then I would go Hi-cap with a 9mm. I carry both but prefer a 45.

Feedback Score
    The Glock 21 covers both, but unfortunately I can not conceal a brick that well. Given today's threats that tend to run in packs, high capacity does get the node. But I have been "put on the spot" a few times where I thought something might happen, but thankfully didn't, and all the way home I was talking out loud to myself how I need a Glock 21.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast