Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore or Max Capacity Fire Power

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Philly, how many guys take advantage of the daily and weekly ammo relinquishment? I am allowed to give out 50 rounds a month per officer and NO ONE ever signs out ammo. We are all given FREE membership to the gun club and the club is in our jurisdiction so we can actually go while on duty. I am the only one that goes other than qualification days. Kinda going off thread topic here, sorry.

I don't know the hard numbers but from what I have seen over the years looking at the sign in sheets is that roughly 25 officers a day during the mid-spring/summer and fall seasons and once its gets cold the numbers really drop.

Feedback Score
    Depends to me what we are talking about.

I am allowed a pistol / bug / shotgun / patrol rifle at work I can pretty much tailor what i deploy by situation.

At home / off duty. I have been carrying my G21SF alot lately in a Blade Tech IWB with a spare mag. Comforting to have 27 rounds of 45 acp on tap (230 Gr Gold dots are issue) I havent had to carry the 21 on a 100 degree 100% humidity Michigan day yet.

I do love my 19 and I am surgical with it. I normally keep it in my go bag with some extra mags. in an event of social unrest when im GTFO i like that the 19 has higher capacity. FOr me the commander length gun is not an option as i havent found one that runs. same runs true for the 36. and realisticaly given the size of the 36 i feel your better off with the 23 or 19

these are my thoughts not yours
    ROY

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Off-Duty the Glock Model-26 or 19 with two G-19 magazines in reserve maybe to way to go, last night I was bored and decided to watch that TV program were the ex-navy seal shows ways to survive attacks and disasters. The shows were of a sub-way nerve gas attack, active shooters inside a mall and a long term killer pandemic. Information was sub-par at best with a lot of assumptions that others would be like minded and willing to place their selfs in danger for the good of the whole. But in the active shooter bit as they had the great run and gun against 10 AK-47 bad guys I did see were a ton of shots could be fired in a mall setting as concealment and the mass area of the mall allowed for a running extended gun battle until police can breach the mall and make contact. Since the active shooter will most likely have a long arm of some type and will have no problem spraying the area or charging a threat since most likely he or she will kill himself/herself when cornered or wounded getting a accurate shots off from cover may be difficult. Suppressive fire burns bullets fast and you always have to have a escape route to disengage when the odds are stacked against you. Bullets, Bullets and more bullets appear to be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Off-Duty the Glock Model-26 or 19 with two G-19 magazines in reserve maybe to way to go, last night I was bored and decided to watch that TV program were the ex-navy seal shows ways to survive attacks and disasters. The shows were of a sub-way nerve gas attack, active shooters inside a mall and a long term killer pandemic. Information was sub-par at best with a lot of assumptions that others would be like minded and willing to place their selfs in danger for the good of the whole. But in the active shooter bit as they had the great run and gun against 10 AK-47 bad guys I did see were a ton of shots could be fired in a mall setting as concealment and the mass area of the mall allowed for a running extended gun battle until police can breach the mall and make contact. Since the active shooter will most likely have a long arm of some type and will have no problem spraying the area or charging a threat since most likely he or she will kill himself/herself when cornered or wounded getting a accurate shots off from cover may be difficult. Suppressive fire burns bullets fast and you always have to have a escape route to disengage when the odds are stacked against you. Bullets, Bullets and more bullets appear to be the way to go.
    In today's society... I completely agree.

1) Idiots travel in packs. Singular criminals choose soft targets. I'm not one.
    2) The mall-shooting scenario is ever-possible. In which case, round-count is king.

I carry a S&W M&P9C, with 13 in the gun, and a 17-round back-up mag (standard 9c mag with +5 extension). I don't think 30 rounds is over-kill at all in today's world. That many rounds in a 45 requires a LOT more weight and mags, especially in a 1911 variant.

Jeff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't recall (could be wrong) any shooting massacres in US history where there was more than 2 shooters. That means you should only need 2 bullets. I will not lay down suppressive fire in a Mall And just because the 1 or 2 bad guy has an AK with 500 rounds on him doesn't mean you need more than 1 or 2 bullets if you do your part.

Little urban gang bangers do not stand their ground and fight. They lay down suppressive fire as they run, so if you shoot back and make hits the gang of 30 will soon be a gang of long gone.

I'm not saying you shouldn't carry more ammo, but that a well trained man with a 1911 and "no" spare mags is still adequately prepared for 99% of most bad guy scenarios.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    When the bad guy promises to go down with only two bullets, then I might consider a 1911.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    .40 S&W; the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    I don't recall (could be wrong) any shooting massacres in US history where there was more than 2 shooters. That means you should only need 2 bullets. I will not lay down suppressive fire in a Mall And just because the 1 or 2 bad guy has an AK with 500 rounds on him doesn't mean you need more than 1 or 2 bullets if you do your part.

Little urban gang bangers do not stand their ground and fight. They lay down suppressive fire as they run, so if you shoot back and make hits the gang of 30 will soon be a gang of long gone.

I'm not saying you shouldn't carry more ammo, but that a well trained man with a 1911 and "no" spare mags is still adequately prepared for 99% of most bad guy scenarios.
    One or two shooters with long arms and numerous hi-cap magazines will produce a high casualties count in a crowded mall of unarmed innocents in short order. Slowing them up or pinning them down for even a few minutes gives responding law enforcement time to arrive and enter the area. M4Fundi your Kong-Fu must be strong to be able to engage and defeat two heavily armed shooters with just two rounds, please forward info were I may attend such Zen training . Past events have shown that the shooter or shooters will either kill their selfs when wounded / cornered or will shoot it out until killed. I don't remember any giving up on command so one would have to expend rounds to save lives and buy time in most events. Suppressive fire is not blind fire in a active shooter engagement, I will only fire when I have eyes on the aggressor being aware of down range innocents and the back stop behind the shooter. We don't have gang bangers just corner boys, street level dealers who are all packing and not afraid to shoot at Police here in Philly as we have lost Eight officers in the past two years. It appears from are tragedies they don't cut and run as you stated 99% of the time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    When the bad guy promises to go down with only two bullets, then I might consider a 1911.
    I hear you brother, I retired my Derringer back in the 70's.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 11-12-09 at 09:01.

Feedback Score

Summertime carry

Has anyone given consideration to the Kel-Tec pf-9 for summertime carry? I have purchased one and fired approx 700 rds with zero problems. Mags are expensive and DA only takes a bit to get used to but this is really a thin and light gun to pack.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast