Thread: Difference between Carbine and Mid Gas system?

Feedback Score

Difference between Carbine and Mid Gas system?

What is the differences between the Carbine gas system and the Mid-length gas system? Pressure, reliability, or function? Would a mid gas system be best for an ar rifle? I have narrowed my choices down to 2, one with a mid gas system or a carbine gas sytem? Which should get the nod? Of course, one is a BCM, but do not let that influence the answer. Gas system answers.....Thanks.

Feedback Score
    The carbine gas system was oops wrong[orginal statement] 14.5'' barrel.
    The midlength gas system was designed/optimized for a 16'' barrel.
    Using a carbine gas system with a 16'' barrel you will have more gas dwell time. The carbine gas system doesn't need any more gas than it already gets with the 14.5'' barrel.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 11-06-09 at 16:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The carbine gas system was way before the 14.5" barrel, and is not optimal.

I would choose the higher quality rifle and then the nod goes to mid.

Feedback Score
    I will apologize in advance for the newbie question. Is the length of the gas tube the only difference between a 16" carbine barrel and 16" middy?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrubb1 View Post
    I will apologize in advance for the newbie question. Is the length of the gas tube the only difference between a 16" carbine barrel and 16" middy?
    Yes, and as a result of the longer gas tube on the middy, the gas block and FSB are located further forward resulting in increased sight radius and longer handguards.

CARBINE LENGTH GAS SYSTEM, 16" BARREL:

MID-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM, 16" BARREL:

RIFLE-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM, 20" BARREL:
    Last edited by Captains1911; 11-06-09 at 15:31.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know the chamber psi difference between a rifle length and a mid length?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange18 View Post
    Does anyone know the chamber psi difference between a rifle length and a mid length?
    I don't think chamber pressure is any different, it's the gas port pressure that varies. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Captains1911; 11-06-09 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    I don't think chamber pressure is any different, it's the gas port pressure that varies. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
    You are probably right. I meant the pressure that gets sent back to the bolt. Probably worded it wrong.

Feedback Score
    The carbine gas system was not designed, nor is it optimal for the 14.5" barrel...

The chamber pressure is the same, the port pressure is different and depends on the ammo (and temperature and this and that) -- but is roughly 25K psi for the carbine and 18K for the mid-length.

More...
    Last edited by K.L. Davis; 11-06-09 at 16:19. Reason: Keys are too close together
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    As always this is the site for answers to my questions. Even if they are a little dumb. I have decided to go with the Mid gas system on the BCM. Not much else to say on this.