Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reloading a 5.56 brass using .223 dies

Feedback Score

reloading a 5.56 brass using .223 dies

Guys, I need your help.

I've been reloading handgun ammo for 12 years now but it's my first time to reload a rifle ammo. My first concern is all my brass are 5.56 and my dies are marked .223. Can i reload safely using a .223 dies? is this safe? I'll be using it in a 5.56 chambered M4.

Thanks for the help.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not a problem at all.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the 5.56 is a chamber spec, not a brass or cartridge spec. The 5.56 brass will most likely have a lower capacity than the commercial brass, so watch it when you get closer to max. Capacity is close but the 5.56 brass usually has thicker walls in some lots, reducing internal capacity.
    Disclaimer: I am the owner of Freakshow Mfg LLC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chime View Post
    Guys, I need your help.

I've been reloading handgun ammo for 12 years now but it's my first time to reload a rifle ammo. My first concern is all my brass are 5.56 and my dies are marked .223. Can i reload safely using a .223 dies? is this safe? I'll be using it in a 5.56 chambered M4.

Thanks for the help.
    As has been said, 5.56 and 223 brass is the same external dimensions and the same dies are used for both. 5.56 is the chamber spec -- shape and dimensions of the chamber in your gun -- not the brass dimensions spec -- and is also a pressure spec.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post

. . . The 5.56 brass will most likely have a lower capacity than the commercial brass, . . . the 5.56 brass usually has thicker walls in some lots, reducing internal capacity.
    False.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the info.

About case trimmer, Do i have to trim the case everytime i reload? as of now, i don't have a case trimmer.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    False.

Thanks for your insight. I load .223 for a living. I've got a bit of experience working with both .223 and 5.56 stamped brass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Thanks for your insight. I load .223 for a living. I've got a bit of experience working with both .223 and 5.56 stamped brass.
    Nothing personal, but I know a lotta guys that work on cars for a living that don't know crap about them. They're parts swappers. Just because you load .223 for a living really doesn't mean a whole lot. Maybe you refill primer dumps at LC. We don't know. The man posted up established material. Refute it if you can. Otherwise we all just roll our eyes and discount what you say.
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 11-08-09 at 22:29.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Well, I don't have a fancy chart, but here's a small sample of 100pcs each stamp. Guess I'm full of crap then. Carry on.

LC 29.7gr
    WCC 29.9gr
    RP 30.7gr
    Winchester (commercial) 30.8gr

Feedback Score
    Here's another "fancy chart;" this time from the extremely knowledgeable folks at 6mmBR.com.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast