Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: reloading a 5.56 brass using .223 dies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What you searched for isn't the point. What you posted (in a 6mos old thread) was that people were assholes.

Legitimate question:

What kind of response did you seriously expect?
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
    What you searched for isn't the point. What you posted (in a 6mos old thread) was that people were assholes.

Legitimate question:

What kind of response did you seriously expect?
    I'm not saying everyone is as you put it assholes.. What we are saying is that if someone is new and don't know everything about AR15's. Then if they ask a question or make a statement that is newbish, then said person is belittled or chastised for it.

And like I said before I didn't look at how old the thread was. I did a search for something specific and I happened to agree with what someone said in the thread. So I agreed with him.

Here is what needs to happen. The forum moderators just need to remove the search function from the forum altogether.Then this wouldn't happen. You wouldn't have people digging up old threads and posting in them. Oh wait here is a better idea, how about just locking threads that are stale, so no one can post in them.

Would you rather have a forum full of duplicate threads?

Feedback Score
    I actually have questions about reloading 5.56. I can't find it by doing a search, but I'll be damned if I'm going to create a new thread and be chastised for it.

There are a few people on this forum that are just plain rude.

I mean seriously in this thread, a guy asked a legitimate question, and an immediate response was buy a book. Seriously come on. I don't know about anyone else but I joined this forum so I could learn, and do research before making purchases. But to tell someone to buy a book instead of sharing any kind of knowledge is just plain rude. If you don't want to share the knowledge then you don't have to post.
    Last edited by Fyrhazzrd; 04-27-10 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chime View Post
    Guys, I need your help.

I've been reloading handgun ammo for 12 years now but it's my first time to reload a rifle ammo. My first concern is all my brass are 5.56 and my dies are marked .223. Can i reload safely using a .223 dies? is this safe? I'll be using it in a 5.56 chambered M4.

Thanks for the help.
    Last I checked there are no 5.56 specific Dies so you'll be just fine ising 223 dies. As for trying to load to XM193 specs the best thing to do is chrono it through your rifle then work up a load using the same bullet trying to reach that same velocity while watching for pressure signs. Good luck and be safe!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    ya know, this is the first time Im going to blatently say people on this forum are just pure useless cocky assholes when someone asks a question. yes, I have a chrono, yes I have tested the XM193 loads over it. what I was asking for is if anyone else had loaded anything close and what kind of results they were getting. there is no need for any of you to act high and mighty and treat other people who have questions to such things as dumb ignorant morons.

last time Ill ask for help from any of you in here.
    Try 21.5gr of H4198.
    Out of my 11.5" that gives about 2761fps. Same range trip, same gun, Federal XM193 gave me 2794.

5 round groups at 50yards were <0.5 inch
    Last edited by aquajon; 05-13-10 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The suggestion to purchase a reloading manual was a very good one. The available manuals provide plenty of data and excellent overviews of reloading, ballistics, etc.

I have been reloading ammunition since the 1970s, and I always enjoy perusing a manual. Any internet data should always be compared to one or more manuals to see if the load is in the acceptable "zone."

Look at some of the .223 threads, rather than searching for 5.56. You should find a bunch of recommended loads.

I like 26.5 grains of Winchester 748 or Varget for 55 gr. bullets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    As has been said, 5.56 and 223 brass is the same external dimensions and the same dies are used for both. 5.56 is the chamber spec -- shape and dimensions of the chamber in your gun -- not the brass dimensions spec -- and is also a pressure spec.
    Hello, this is an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one about the same subject.

I thought the two casings had a different angle on the neck (for pressure) and the 223 has a 4 thou larger diameter (negligible diam difference?).

Would the difference in diameter of the neck cause issues with the flare die? How about the crimping die?

From what I've been reading, it is okay to use the 223 dies on a 556 casing?

I have a Lyman reloading manual, and it says nothing about this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boggle View Post

I thought the two casings had a different angle on the neck (for pressure) and the 223 has a 4 thou larger diameter (negligible diam difference?).
    Where did you get this info. AFAIK the case dimensions are the same. The difference is in the chamber dimensions. Only 223 has a SAAMI spec. The otehr spcs are from government requirements.

You can use 5.56 brass sized for 233 in a 223 gun.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Where did you get this info. AFAIK the case dimensions are the same. The difference is in the chamber dimensions. Only 223 has a SAAMI spec. The otehr spcs are from government requirements.

You can use 5.56 brass sized for 233 in a 223 gun.
    I think I misunderstood when reading it. I just found this article that agrees with what you're saying about the chamber being the different variable. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ats-in-a-name/

They also mention the 556 has a thicker sidewall for its higher pressure.

I've got a 556 chambered AR. So does this mean perhaps if I shoot 223 cartridges through it and try to reload those that over time those may become weaker faster since they aren't designed that for the pressures that the 556 chamber produces? Maybe I should try to just buy 556 casings then....

So to answer my own question I guess those dies would be fine. My only concern. Is that when 223 rounds are fired in a 556 chamber, wouldn't that deform on the chamfered neck of the casing since it's unsupported in that small area?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    223 brass should always get resized with a full lens izer (not a neck sizer) unless you are specifically shooting in a bolt gun that you segregate your brass for. 223/556 brass gets worked a lot anyway being under pretty high pressure (which is one reason it is frikkin' burning hot when ejected compared to larger cases not under as much pressure) so you won't get that many reloads out of a piece of brass. I would just toss your 223 brass after a couple reloads anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it personally.

As an aside, I buy once fired brass and it is usually 556 as I am not loading for competition accuracy, which you wouldn't be using a 556 barrel for anywayt.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast