Thread: .50 Beowulf vs .458 RRA Socom

Feedback Score

.50 Beowulf vs .458 RRA Socom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in buying either the .50 Beowulf or the .458 Socom rifle for Hunting
    Large dangerous game such as Bison, Bear, Russian Boar.
    Has anyone compared the .458 vs .50 ???

I already own a RRA .223 and a Remington 30.06

Feedback Score
    From what I've read about the two calibers, the .458 SOCOM seems to be a caliber for reloaders who have gotten some pretty good results. I can't remember the formula, but I'm pretty sure there was a bullet - loading combination that was comparable to a .45/70 round and that can take out any animal on North and South America. -At the time when I looked into it, the .50 Beowulf seemed less flexible due to the bullets being made then. Another thing to consider is that apparently the .458 SOCOM round does not require that the mag be altered whereas I believe the .50 Beowulf did.

I eventually chose to stay away from both because the ammo was very expensive and I didn't feel that either was really necessary. I'm not trying to stop a vehicle or shoot through a cinder block wall. Given the other options out there for hunting, I don't know that it's worth it unless you are absolutely set on hunting with an AR pattern rifle.
    "Looks like I'm the only one here with a mug full of antidote."

"If I'm standing on it, it's America..."