Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with the A1 grip?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

What was wrong with the A1 grip?

Hey guys,

I never gave much thought to the A1 grip until recently. A gun I bought had one on it and I immediately ordered a MOE to replace it. Then I realized, this is a nice grip, and it allows easy access to the mag button an doesn't have the awful A2 finger groove. What was the rationale behind replacing this grip with the A2?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have an A1 grip on two carbines and a MIAD set up just like the A1 (flat back, flat front) on a third. I love the A1 grip as it does not have the finger nub that digs into my hand while performing manipulations and supporting all the weight with my firing hand on the grip. I have a couple more A1 grips that will go on any new carbines I acquire. The problem with the MOE (or the MIAD with swelled backstrap) for me is that I have to adjust my hand position to activate the safety/selector lever, while the A1 is slim enough to do this well but not uncomfortably small. The only reason I have to keep the MIAD is that it is already paid for. Look for surplus A1's and save some money, especially if you have no reason to store shit in the grip.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it for me. It's just that the MOE grip fits my hand better and I like the storage capability to be able to carry an extra bolt.

Feedback Score
    I guess the A2 grip has a grippier surface? I ended up grinding the finger groove off an A2 grip on one of my guns. Of course I just hate finger grooves on anything because while they're nice when my hands are bare, they suck when I put gloves on.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had issued weapons with both A1 and A2 pistol grips. I have no problems with using either.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    I never really liked the A1 or A2 as they don't fill my hand at all. I even have small hands, I can't imagine how the guys with big mitts deal with them. I like a full grip myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    I have an A1 grip on two carbines and a MIAD set up just like the A1 (flat back, flat front) on a third. I love the A1 grip as it does not have the finger nub that digs into my hand while performing manipulations and supporting all the weight with my firing hand on the grip. I have a couple more A1 grips that will go on any new carbines I acquire. The problem with the MOE (or the MIAD with swelled backstrap) for me is that I have to adjust my hand position to activate the safety/selector lever, while the A1 is slim enough to do this well but not uncomfortably small. The only reason I have to keep the MIAD is that it is already paid for. Look for surplus A1's and save some money, especially if you have no reason to store shit in the grip.
    I use the same MIAD configuration and love it. If it wasn't available I would probably use an old A1 since I hate "beavertails" on AR grips. I wish Magpul didn't discontinue the MIAD Basic, so I wouldn't have to pay an extra $10 for stuff I don't need. Oh well, it's still worth it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I much prefer the A1 grip to the A2 grip.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I find the A1 grip to be wholly acceptable.
    While I prefer the feel of the MIAD with smooth front and flat back, even the A2 is ok if the finger bump is ground off. I sincerely have no idea why anyone thought that the finger bump was a good idea on the A2.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have also always wondered why they did away with a grip that works for almost everyone to a grip that works for almost no-one.

but then, we should also ask glock the same thing. or ask Magpul why their only integrated triggerguard frontstrap for the MIAD has that stupid bump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast