Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods to my issued M4

Feedback Score

Mods to my issued M4

So I had this idea that I wanted to put a free float hand guard on my GOVERNMENT issue M4. The problem is that at operator level maintenance I am not allowed too. Basically we are only allowed to field strip the weapon and that's it. We are not even allowed to take off the issue hand guards, but I did anyways, for this. I was surfing the net for just the right one when I came upon the DD omega rail. What sold me on it was that it attaches to the M4 just like any other 2 piece hand guard. Then I stepped out of the box a little bit more and asked myself, "What if I used the 12 inch version? All I have to do is cut a relief for the front sight." So this is the result. With a little eyeball fitting, a dremel tool, and a file, I went to work. I did a 200 round test fire and it held up pretty good? No change to my previous zero. Shot "near bear" cans at 100 meters, because we hate those things SO much!

here's a close up

Gear:
    M4 Carbine (issued)
    Daniel Defense Omega Rail 12inch
    Surfire X300
    PEQ 2 (issued)
    BFG Lightweight Redi-mod
    PMAG (issued)
    Tango Down Pistol Grip
    M68 CCO (issued)
    BFG Vickers Padded Sling

Feedback Score
    In the Army you are allowed to remove the handguard for operator level maintenance. Reference TM 9-1005-319-10, page 10.

However, there is an AR governing what types of accessories you can mount on your issue weapon (including non-issue handguards), but I don't have that one lying around.

Feedback Score
    How do that PEQ-2A and x300 get along? Do you think it would work with a PEQ-15?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    My guess is that he possibly had a KAC rail on there previously. IIRC from the time that I spent working with Marine 2111's the KAC rails could only be installed and removed by the armorer. I may be wrong about that however.

You are correct about him modding the weapon with non-issue items like the DD rail. I think it's a DA Pamphlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog69 View Post
    In the Army you are allowed to remove the handguard for operator level maintenance. Reference TM 9-1005-319-10, page 10.

However, there is an AR governing what types of accessories you can mount on your issue weapon (including non-issue handguards), but I don't have that one lying around.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How come you just didn't get the FSP model?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's interesting that your zero didn't change, I would have guessed it would for sure. Also, where the hell do you get near beer from, I haven't seen that crap in years?? (not that I want any)

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    How come you just didn't get the FSP model?

The FSP comes in the Lite rail, and he would have to change out the barrel nut. This setup retains the entire stock setup minus rails/handguards, and nothing has to be altered for the rail install.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Awesome job, looks like something I should do with my issued M4.

Iraqgunz, from what my armorer told me, we are not "authorized" to removed the KAC rails. I've done it before because its not difficult to reinstall.
    Last edited by lawusmc0844; 11-16-09 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Interesting. I have a question in to DD on the Mfg forum here about considering producing a FSP Omega Rail. No answer yet.

I thought they might get some interest from those who would like the "rail estate" especially at 12:00 in front of the FSP, but would prefer not to, or are not allowed to take their duty gun apart.

Or just the same crowd that buys the standard Omegas.

But, I was thinking along the lines of LE not Mil...
    Last edited by Luke_Y; 11-16-09 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    Are there any restrictions on what slings you pick and how they are installed?

Thanks
    Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 11-16-09 at 20:45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast