Thread: LMT MRP barrels

Feedback Score

LMT MRP barrels

OK, I'm looking for additional caliber barrels for the LMT MRP platform. I know of the following:

LMT: 5.56, 6.8, .204
    Spikes: .22lr

Is anyone making a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kozowski View Post
    OK, I'm looking for additional caliber barrels for the LMT MRP platform. I know of the following:

LMT: 5.56, 6.8, .204
    Spikes: .22lr

Is anyone making a 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 barrel?
    Spikes also produces a 9mm barrel in batches. My understanding is that the barrel extension is a proprietary design and thus no barrels are available other than those produced by LMT. The only real disadvantage to the MRP design IMO. LMT has other projects and contractual obligations that seem to hamper further development of the MRP system.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I believe i read a while ago that there was a possibility of those calibers (7.62X39 and 5.45X39) being produced by spikes but there hasnt been any new news as far as i know...then again i havent really kept up with it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I would only use LMT barrels in my MRP's... I would be surprised that LMT would allow someone else to market barrels for a proprietary platform... I have heard that Spikes does some form of .22 for it, but don't know anything about it nor have I seen one.
    Last edited by d90king; 11-17-09 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    FYI - LMT told me that they were working on a 7.62x39 barrel, but it wouldn't be out until after the MWS (.308) rifle was released.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kozowski View Post
    FYI - LMT told me that they were working on a 7.62x39 barrel, but it wouldn't be out until after the MWS (.308) rifle was released.
    Which is exactly what they should be focusing on! SHOT is not that far away and that was their big news for 2009... I am glad they are making sure it is right before it comes out, but lets go already... My guess is they are waiting for a mag for it....

Feedback Score
    There was a time when LMT sold their extensions - with that you could pretty much make whatever barrel set up you wanted. I've seen several that were used with the ABS barrels that were popular at the time. They were much lighter than the standard set up.

LMT is pretty close hold on their products - they don't get released until they are sufficiently tested. They may have issues with a new product but the issues are typically minor and easy to fix. From what I've seen they take this approach with all their products and I, for one, like it this way even though it tries my patience at times!

Spooky

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this. It looks like the only difference between a regular barrel extension and an MRP barrel extension is one mill operation. I've an MRP, but i havn't compared it's barrel to a standard barrel. Could it be that easy?