Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody hunt with their fighting shotguns?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Anybody hunt with their fighting shotguns?

Yesterday I dropped a white tail with my Mossberg 590A1. Hammered her right above the shoulder from 20 feet up in a stand at around 35-40 yds. Winchester Super X 1 oz 1600 fps rifled slug of coarse. She dressed out to be a 127 pound doe. Not too bad I don't think, for my first kill. I have a Mossberg 500 that is set up for deer but it was raining yesterday and I would rather get my more rugged gun wet than my nice shiny wood-stocked gun. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone hunting anything other than bad guys with their combat shotguns...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanna91 View Post
    Yesterday I dropped a white tail with my Mossberg 590A1. Hammered her right above the shoulder from 20 feet up in a stand at around 35-40 yds. Winchester Super X 1 oz 1600 fps rifled slug of coarse. She dressed out to be a 127 pound doe. Not too bad I don't think, for my first kill. I have a Mossberg 500 that is set up for deer but it was raining yesterday and I would rather get my more rugged gun wet than my nice shiny wood-stocked gun. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone hunting anything other than bad guys with their combat shotguns...
    Yup. The 590A1 in my GOV has taken quite a few deer in shotgun-only zones.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Me too. Scattergun ghost rings are hell on wild pigs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used to have a 20" rifle-sight barrel and a 28" VR barrel for my 870. I sent the longer one off and had it cut to 19", re-threaded for chokes, and had a bead mounted. I sold off the 20" and now have, for me, one "all-purpose" shotgun. I use it for HD, and local 3 gun shoots. I just realized I've not been hunting with it, or any shotgun, since I got it back.

Feedback Score
    Killed 8 point whitetail several years back with issued bead sight 14-in. 870. Used Brenneke KO Sabot load. 32 yard shot, top of heart and both lungs. Died like he'd been hit with a .270. Two steps and drop.

I encourage our guys to hunt and shoot clays with their issued SGs; few probably do.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I use my M1Super90 Tactical for everything ... [U]everything[U] ....It has a Light Mod choke. It has Ghost ring rear site that I clipped the ring off and now is a simple 3 dot setup, open and fast. It shoots Speer Lawman slugs in to 2" 50yd groups ..... upper Azone 25yd shots

I use it for 3gun, home and hunting, informal clays. I have dropped several deer with it... one as recently as Nov 15th. I have complete and utter confidence in that firearm. It is a awsome shooting platform.

H

Feedback Score
    I'm in the market for a good tactical shotgun that I can use for HD and 3gun shoots, but I may hunt with it as well. I'm kinda sold on the Mossberg 590A1 with the ghost ring sight. Should I get the 18" or 20" barrel?
    Last edited by KS Trekker; 11-22-09 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    I have both the 18" and the 20". I prefer the 18" for handling / manuverability.

Feedback Score
    The Only thing I have against 590A1(and I say this lightly because I am in awe of the gun overall) is the fixed Cyl bore barrel. I watched guys leave steel standing @ 12yds with this shotgun .... the pattern is too wide too quick. The 590A1 can't do everything when limited to Cyl bore. Now in the home I would say Cyl choke is completely adequate ..... all this ofcourse IMHO

H

Feedback Score
    I took this eastern white-tailed 9 point, 165 lb buck on 12/23/06 with my Remington 1100 Competition Master using the same Win Super X 1 oz slug. (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast