Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep buying those Chinese made goods...

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Keep buying those Chinese made goods...

Do yourself a favor, and look at what they are preparing for. Click on the slideshow (left side), and check out number 4: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

Meanwhile we are stalling out when it comes to procuring new equipment, and replacing old worn out stuff. Especially after 7-8 years of a high op tempo in the ME. We have 2 trillion for stimulus and health care but can't even get 200 F22's.

I think this time we are going to be the ones holding the short stick due to our entitlement spending taking up 100% of revenues, and we cannot afford to keep the edge forever at the rate we are going with domestic spending. The Chinese economy is growing 10% a year, and we are saddled with almost 14 trillion in debt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to be a gung ho globalist, because I am a capitalist pig; but I have even been checking labels lately and I'll pay a bit more for non-China goods.

B_C

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, no, no... The Chinese loves us, they need us, want to support us.

Backwards engineering is working well for them!

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    what he said
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I get very tired of dumbasses ignoring the overwhelming evidence and instead believing that because China owns most of our debt that it would not be in its best interest to see the US defeated and out of the picture.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    I get very tired of dumbasses ignoring the overwhelming evidence and instead believing that because China owns most of our debt that it would not be in its best interest to see the US defeated and out of the picture.

You have to ask if the few trillion in debt they own is worth more to them than control of east Asia, and a big player in the world. At the rate they are scooping up raw materials, the rate their economy is growing, and the rate they are building military assets they have to be doing it for a reason.

At the same time we are being forced to cut those things both because of politics and financial reasons. Now would be a good time to get our ducks in a row to make sure we are number 1 20, 40, 60 years from now.

And Im not totally against international trade. Im just against such trade with a country like China. If it was any other country we would not being doing business with them the way we are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    but I have even been checking labels lately and I'll pay a bit more for non-China goods.

B_C
    I am finding it near impossible. We recently bought three rooms worth of furniture for a new house, and I was explicitely looking for US-made. Found a place, was proudly told "made in North Carolina", spent a ton, found that it was more like "proudly upholstered in North Carolina". Delivery people said sales people ask them to remove "made in" tags.
    But, bad business practices aside, it now takes effort and time to find US-made goods.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am finding it near impossible. We recently bought three rooms worth of furniture for a new house, and I was explicitely looking for US-made. Found a place, was proudly told "made in North Carolina", spent a ton, found that it was more like "proudly upholstered in North Carolina". Delivery people said sales people ask them to remove "made in" tags.
    But, bad business practices aside, it now takes effort and time to find US-made goods.

Find a business local to you that makes furniture. They are out there. Our dining room table was a gift from my dad but its made with Texas mesquite wood by one guy here with his own shop. You wont find a more durable table and quality. Im talking about a 4" thick solid top, and the whole thing is several hundred pounds. Pricey but will last hundreds of years with proper care.

On the contrary my wife got our twins toddler beds a couple years ago, and they fell apart within the months despite costing 200 a pop. Made in China with cheap compressed wood shit, shitty hardware, and I had to do numerous home fixes to keep them working. We got them new "kid" beds, made in the US, and again we paid the price but they will last at least until they are teenagers despite all the abuse they get.

But you wont get quality furniture in a box store. At least out here there a road side furniture shops "one of" that sell locally made stuff.

Furniture can last...we have an oak hutch made in the 1800's in our house we got from my parents, worth thousand now, but it still works just fine. The keys still work, ect. You'll never get that durability buying chinese. Id rather pay a couple thousand something my great great grand kids can use than spend hundreds, and get something that goes to shit in less than a year.

Even our dresser we use now my parents bought me when I still lived at home. Back then it was 1500 but has cedar lined drawers, dovetail fittings, quality hardware, ect. Well taken care of we'll still be using it as seniors.

My wife has had to learn the hard way buying cheap shit. She got a book case at Target for her medical books (going through nursing school), and not even 2 weeks old it fell apart maybe half loaded with books. Just collapsed into a big heap. More compressed wood sawdust shit.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    book case at Target for her) medical books (going through nursing school
    C'mon now though, Mosby's, Tabers', A&P and Micro/Path are quite heavy sir. That Target crap only works for a humanities class load.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    C'mon now though, Mosby's, Tabers', A&P and Micro/Path are quite heavy sir. That Target crap only works for a humanities class load.

Yeah the fun part with that is they seem to come out with a new addition every semester. She has 3-4 books that are 99% identical but cannot be used in class because the newest is the the 11th edition and she has the 10th addition we paid 200 bucks for 4 months ago.

Then because its not the newest edition the school wont buy it back.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast