Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Lorcin 380 lives up to it's reputation

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    This one will be short one...

Today I was able to fire the magnificent Lorcin .380.

I friend of mine bought one from a rather rustic individual who had fallen on hard times, and needed $50 more than the pistol.

Pistol was disassembled, cleaned, and lubed. Appeared to be in new condition, no easily discernible evidence of being fired could be noticed.

All we had available for ammo was the loading from Dynamic Research Technologies. Yes, that's right, we were firing DRT ammo out of a stinking Lorcin.

I tried the pistol first and found that, surprisingly, it was reasonably accurate with about zero recoil, and it functioned for the complete mag without a malfunction.

Next fellow up had one hangup half way through a mag.

Third guy to try it made it half way through a mag... when the end of the freaking slide broke off... and the trigger parts caught the rest of the slide before it slung back into the shooters eye!

Yeah we got pics...

Close up via Kodak Easy Share...

No way this pistol could have had more than 100 rds ever fired through it before it gave up.

I'm done with anything Lorcin myself. I don't even want to look at one.
    I also have a Lorcin .380 that was given to me as partial trade for some work my husband did. Last night, he took the gun apart to clean it, and we discovered what I think is the problem with this gun and why your .380 broke the slide. I've attached a picture of the take-down button for my .380. This piece is made of aluminum and if you can't tell in the pic, the bottom of the hook is warping out of place and in danger of breaking. This piece is the only thing that keeps the slide from coming loose and kicking up and back. I imagine if you found the parts that came out during the slide break, that take-down button would be broken. This is an unsafe weapon and I plan on throwing it at the bad guy before I'd ever fire it!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got one in a .25. Not to horrible for accuracy and reliability. I think the only reason it hasn't blown apart is the round isnt potent enough. I don't think I'm brave enough to fire any of those cheap guns in a heavy caliber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    I guess that zinc alloy couldn't withstand the pressure and recoil of the mighty .380 Auto cartridge.
    I am sure that the highly educated engineers at Lorcin probably had simply taken one too many biochemistry courses, and assumed that Zinc's ability to hold together proteins translated equally to its ability to hold together a slide....

Feedback Score
    Back when I was in college, all my shooting buddies and I used to crack jokes and make fun of the Lorcins/Jennings/Ravens/Hi-points that we saw at the range. I am not going to go into great discussion about whom was firing said pistols. It was funny to hear the language used to describe what happened when the pistol stopped. Nobody ever got hurt mind you, just a lot of "colorful" language.

Feedback Score
    Pot metal has no place in firearms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    I guess that zinc alloy couldn't withstand the pressure and recoil of the mighty .380 Auto cartridge.
    That's funny.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Should've gotten a Hi Point instead.

Feedback Score
    the slide work and the sight cost 300% more than the pistol itself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post

I think I shat myself from laughing so hard!

Nice job with the red dot installation and the back up iron sights!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post

Talk about polishing a turd.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast