Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith Vortex - unwanted muzzle push?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Smith Vortex - unwanted muzzle push?

The Vortex is a fantastic flash suppressor but I'm starting to wonder if the "vortex" design with the twisted prongs directs gasses enough to push the muzzle down and left. It seems my shot recovery is always up and right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It has 4 prongs, and 4 gaps...so gases are leaving out all ports, which should help keep the barrel centered more than anything...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dont think the forces are even - for example its also said to be "self tightening" - the gas ejection actually torques down the FH tight.

"Right hand flutes are self tightening and will not loosen under heavy sustained fire"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The loose flash hider will twist in a clockwise direction due to the forces exerted, tightening the barrel. All of the slots vent gasses and unburnt powder out of the path of the bullet, lessening turbulence and bullet wash. At least, that is my understanding.

When CCFA tested a vortex hider on an H&K USP 45 Tactical, they found that it actually slightly decreased movement during recoil. They theorized that the way the vortex vented gases had a gyroscopic effect, which resists movement.

I would say that the recovery has more to do with stance and grip than the flash hider, but I guess I could be wrong.
    Last edited by the_fallguy; 11-19-09 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The Vortex is a Flash-Hider.
    Flash-Hiders, well, reduce flash. They do this by disturbing the gasses exiting the muzzle, preventing them from producing a fire-ball.

Compensators and muzzle-brakes use the gasses exiting the muzzle to mechanically push on the muzzle device. A muzzle device with a flat wall with a hole through it will allow the bullet to pass through the hole and the gasses following the bullet will push on the wall, reducing the felt recoil. Devices with ports will push the muzzle device in the opposite direction of the ports.

Do not expect flash-hiders to reduce muzzle rise or felt recoil, and do not expect muzzle-brakes or compensators to hide flash. There are options that do both, but they will not do as well as devices built for one specific purpose.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I think grunz may have made a valid observation. If prongs are all curving, or twisted as grunz said, in the same direction. It could act as a prop does...or the fletchings on an arrow. Giving the type of movement he described.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    But all of them are venting gases, not just part of them. Besides, props resist movement and fletchings stabilize flight.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If they were making the rifle spin, you might have a valid point.
    Unfortunately, as far as gyroscopic stabilization is concerned, the little twist of the rifle as the gasses push against the tines is insignificant.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    They stabilize by spinning the arrow like rifling. Have you never seen an arrow in flight? Also, I have never seen any other "straight brake or supresser say the design prevents the device from loosening. Only something providing torque can do this. This is in line with the problem he described. Anyway, that's the last I will comment. Seems a simple concept.
    Last edited by herd48; 11-19-09 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    I have not shot a gun with one. But it would seem that if there's enough energy to require a brake. There could be some torquing of the barrel with this design. Conceptually it is possible. I was only agreeing with grunz in concept. As I have no first hand experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast