I have a pre ban XM-177 Olympic brand. Never really paid attention to it. A informed friend was over last night looking at my stuff and noted a couple of things I hadn't noticed before.

The lower appears to be a colt with the big pin holes. The stock is metal/aluminum. The upper has the letters L M stamped actually the letters are raised. Auto bolt, and set up for an auto selector. The forward assist is a tear drop style.

There appears to be a Colt logo on the lower on the left side inbossed into the actual metal and Olympic Arms is stamped into the lower forward of the selector.

11/1/2 in barrel with the long flash hider to make it a legal rifle. A1 sights. The actual bolt is very smooth and appears to have been stainless and then coated.

My friend has been a M4 guys for many years and has never seen this set up, nor have I. The rifle has been painted for many years which makes actual ID difficult.

My questions are.
Did Olympic used to use colt lowers.
Does LM stand for Lewis Machine?.

This particular Olympic appears to be a quality made rifle. Anybody have knowledge of the olympics and the early days. Im guessing this is a late 70's early 80's pre ban.

Thank you for helping me.

Dirk