Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Taurus PT1911, feasible 1911 for defense?

Feedback Score
    Uhhhhhh.......
    Who 'fit' that grip safety? Looks quite uncomfortable.
    The ears of the frame protrude beneath the surface of the grip safety itself.
    And what is the purpose of the grip tape on the underside of the dustcover?
    Wouldn't that hinder a draw from a holster?
    Just curious, not bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by j3hill View Post
    There is no such thing as a bad 1911 or 1991A1. Maybe with the exception of the Llama. Think of them as the modular handgun, like the AR platform. You can make them anything you want over time. It will cost you like a previous poster said, but dont do it all at once and you should be fine. Hell I got one of them Philippians ones from Centerfiresystems for 399.00 and it shoots just fine everytime. It is in a bug out bag that I put together for the wife under the spare tire in her Envoy. And the one pictured I got 25 years ago when I was 14 and is a combination Detonics/AMT with Wilson upgrades.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    Yea Taurus sucks, my Lorcin is 103248024739324802-32 times more accurate (I can hit oxygen bottles from 200 yards) and more reliable (I heard the Secret Squirrel Recon Rangers carry them all over the world).

Pass the tinfoil please.

Feedback Score
    i own a pt1911 and a pt92af

i cant say much to the pt92,but as far as the 1911..i can say anything i want about it becuase i have this ****ing wick chunk of steel for 2 yrs and have dam near 7k of ammo thro it,i live in alaska i hunt fish swimm hike and mudd with my pt1911, it does have some aftermarket w.c parts in it and mags..but it by far is the farthest thing from trash..having seid that iam gonna shoot myself in the foot,it is a gun that is hit or miss,hit it and its great for the price miss it and have a nightmare.i hit it and i love it i wouldnt trade it for any brand period.no way in hell would i take a nighthawk,wc,colt,sig any high end 1911 through anything like my pt becuase those spendy 1911 are holster/safe queens..i bought cheap and built up as stupid as this sounds i have a strong bond with my 1911,it has never let me down ever..tho it needs a duracoat it was black now its kinda blackish??? with silver trim hahahaha

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    +1 On the grip safety.

I absolutely DESPISE the Taurus grip safety fit and "Contour".

It makes it not only uncomfortable, but if you have the pistol at any angle or dont have an iron grip on it, then it wont fire.

I imagine they tried to contour it for looks but it simply doesnt work.

A guy I used to shoot with owns one, along with many Kimber
    1911''s, the Taurus just doesnt stand up.

I agree with another poster....its not the worst one out there, the Rock Island I think takes the cake IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    I'm with 907 Operator. I also live in Alaska and take my PT1911 or my G21 on all my outdoors adventures. My Taurus has well over 2K rounds through her and still goes bang every time. I have not replaced one part on her yet. I would not have chosen the Taurus but it was a gift from the wifey and she knew no better at the time (God bless her). I cant say I'm disapointed though. It has been a great gun thus far. I prefer her to my old Springfield.
    The Authority is not the Truth. Truth is the only Authority.
    Truth Is Hate to Those Who Hate Truth.
    Love of power is the manifestation of evil.

"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes.
    Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
    - Napoléon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSKI View Post
    I'm with 907 Operator. I also live in Alaska and take my PT1911 or my G21 on all my outdoors adventures. My Taurus has well over 2K rounds through her and still goes bang every time. I have not replaced one part on her yet. I would not have chosen the Taurus but it was a gift from the wifey and she knew no better at the time (God bless her). I cant say I'm disapointed though. It has been a great gun thus far. I prefer her to my old Springfield.
    iam not saying its amazing,but what i am saying is i couldnt let any of you guys bash my pt1911..i JUST havnt seen these problems that some other owners and some other 1911 nazi's are speaking of..i just havnt call it luck good matience idc but dont call it trash..i wanna start beating on my pt92 so i can say i own 2 great taurus guns but winter is coming and idk,i dont do alot of shooting

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Why the hatred? I've heard of finish, and hammer follow issues but don't other manufacturers 1911 style firearms have their(or had) problems from time to time?

Aside from all of the Taurus bashing, why do you consider this 1911 a no go? Please provide some substantiation. Please don't post the typical Taurus bashing rhetoric.

I've not heard of one instance of a 1911 KB from this model.

ETA: I understand this is a low price point 1911, and will not compete with a 2K 1911.
    When I worked in gun retail, we had so many of them with problems right out of the box that I could never trust one. Just all sorts of strange stuff. Barrel link pins cut so long you needed a vice and a mallet to get the slide off, etc.

The one we put on the range was always breaking- sights falling off, safety falling out, etc. They're trash.

We had much better results with the ones out of the Phillipines- they're actually a decent quality product, especially for the price. We had fewer Rock Islands come back to us than we did Kimbers- and we sold a lot more Rock Islands. The Rock Islands are kind of basic- if you want something nicer, try a Metro Arms. We had great reviews on those, and a couple of our customers with Kimbers and Nighthawks commented on how close they were in accuracy and general workmanship.
    Last edited by lamarbrog; 09-24-11 at 13:43.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789