Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911, feasible 1911 for defense?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Why the hatred? I've heard of finish, and hammer follow issues but don't other manufacturers 1911 style firearms have their(or had) problems from time to time?
    Yes, practically every 1911 maker has put out problem guns. The problem here is that Taurus has a long and storied reputation for putting out problematic guns not in the 1911 pattern...which does not boost one's confidence in their ability to produce a reliable and serviceable specimen of probably the hardest extant pistol design to get right.

Aside from all of the Taurus bashing, why do you consider this 1911 a no go? Please provide some substantiation. Please don't post the typical Taurus bashing rhetoric.
    It's not "rhetoric" to point out that a company has a particularly dismal history of putting out products that don't work very well. Taurus semi-autos have a bad reputation for a reason.

ETA: I understand this is a low price point 1911, and will not compete with a 2K 1911.
    Then perhaps you're not really understanding the point...

The foremost 1911 experts on this planet will tell you that if you want a 1911 you can bet your life on, you will have to spend about 2 grand on it. There are a number of reasons why they say this.

Your thread asks specifically about betting your life on a Taurus 1911. Given that the people who know more about the 1911 platform than anyone else have already given us the advice that a duty quality 1911 STARTS at 1,500-2,000 dollars it seems to me that the question of whether or not the Taurus offering is feasible for self defense has been answered. For playing on the square range anything will do...but for a weapon you could bet your life (or the life of your family) on does it really make sense to try and use a notoriously difficult platform (the 1911) produced by a company with a long history of getting things wrong?
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 11-24-09 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    I owned a PT1911 for over a year. It was my first government model and I used it as a match [IDPA, single stack] gun. I found it reliable with my reloads, or any other load for that matter. It was also accurate enough for me. I sold it to fund another project. I got excellent resale value due to its popularity. I can't speak to any other Taurus firearms because I have no other experience.

Feedback Score

Taurus Frame

Caspian slide

Internals were all replaced.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As many on here know there are few people who own, or have owned as many 1911's as I do and have ( I have sold off many in the last year or so)... Because I am a 1911 guy, I have shot and handled a few to see what they are all about.

The first one I handled had the TS shear off by simply disengaging it. The second one I handled and shot had feeding issues (no I did not try and diagnose wether it was mag related or not). The last one took the cake... Someone who will remain nameless decided they wanted me to see "the best value 1911 out there", so off to the range I go... Short story is that after about 100 rounds the hammer sheared off. End of story...

Supposedly they use Imbel forgings for their frames and slides.... I don't know if its true or not because I have never cared enough to research.

I would never buy a Taurus and if I was given one I would gut it down to the frame/slide and replace all small parts including barrel, bushing, etc.

Just an honest example of my personal experience with a PT... Bottom line is that there are better products available at a price point that is close. Buy a SA GI and build on it till it suites your needs. I highly recommend John Harrison for the work.
    Last edited by d90king; 11-25-09 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    The problem with firearm manufacturers (to include the AR) in general is the fact that most build guns under the assumption that they will be sold to a "gun collector" who will initially shoot a few boxes through it, then throw it in the night stand, closet or safe, for the rest of it's natural life. Even most CCW folks, rarely practice or seek remedial training with their firearm. If the general population were like the folks on this board, "gun users', who shoot 5K to 10K+ a year, you wouldn't have all the crap floating around out there, and by default, the quality of firearms being sold, would increase 10 fold.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

ToddG Guest
    While I would love to own a better 1911, I cannot afford one.
    If you cannot afford a 1911 "feasible for defense," to borrow your thread topic, then why get one to use for defensive purposes? You're essentially admitting that you'd rather compromise on quality, reliability, and essentially your own confidence in the weapon rather than buy something for the same price point that is more dependable.

As a toy or a training gun, knock yourself out. If it doesn't work, get it fixed. As something you or your loved ones' lives may depend on, why in the world would you buy a Taurus 1911 compared to the myriad of hard-proven guns at the same price point?

I just want an honest review of it, not necessarily an opinion, just the facts.
    The fact is that you'll be hard pressed to find anyone serious about defensive use of handguns who would choose the Taurus 1911 in the first place, making detailed long term high round count "reviews" non-existant.

Which parts should I look at replacing first?
    Whichever lobe of your brain is telling you to buy a Taurus 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I know of no serious smith/1911 guru who has anything positive to say about them. Taurus has a well deserved reputation for putting out crap semi auto pistols, that's just the way it is.
    This.
    Last edited by ToddG; 11-25-09 at 11:49.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    The problem with firearm manufacturers (to include the AR) in general is the fact that most build guns under the assumption that they will be sold to a "gun collector" who will initially shoot a few boxes through it, then throw it in the night stand, closet or safe, for the rest of it's natural life. Even most CCW folks, rarely practice or seek remedial training with their firearm. If the general population were like the folks on this board, "gun users', who shoot 5K to 10K+ a year, you wouldn't have all the crap floating around out there, and by default, the quality of firearms being sold, would increase 10 fold.
    It blows my mind that manufacturers would release a low quality product to a market in which there is a good chance the end user could be military, LE, or a CCW. I have told this story before. When I was new to guns I bought a charging handle at a gun show that turned out to be made of pot metal. Fortunately I realized something was wrong because of the extra flex in the CH and had it replaced immediately. If I had put that on my issue rifle and not realized that it was poor quality it could have gotten me killed. What can we do to hold these companies responsible for the potential hazards that their products could cause?... I won't buy from them. That's for sure. This is not the right industry or market for cheap knock-off's and careless QC. People's lives could be on the line.
    Last edited by William B.; 11-25-09 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I can't afford to shoot 10K a year through my firearms. That's why I use this forum and 1 or 2 gun mags and listen to the ones who can and have. People here will give you honest opinions and facts without insulting you. That's something you won't get from most firearms forums or mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt LE6920 View Post
    It blows my mind that manufacturers would release a low quality product to a market in which there is a good chance the end user could be military, LE, or a CCW. I have told this story before. When I was new to guns I bought a charging handle at a gun show that turned out to be made of pot metal. Fortunately I realized something was wrong because of the extra flex in the CH and had it replaced immediately. If I had put that on my issue rifle and not realized that it was poor quality it could have gotten me killed. What can we do to hold these companies responsible for the potential hazards that their products could cause?... I won't buy from them. That's for sure. This is not the right industry or market for cheap knock-off's and careless QC. People's lives could be on the line.
    From a manufacturing stand point, nothing.

From a personal stand point, listen to folks with real actual knowledge and experience, do your research about a particular firearm AND, shop wisely.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Why the hatred? I've heard of finish, and hammer follow issues but don't other manufacturers 1911 style firearms have their(or had) problems from time to time?

Aside from all of the Taurus bashing, why do you consider this 1911 a no go? Please provide some substantiation. Please don't post the typical Taurus bashing rhetoric.

I've not heard of one instance of a 1911 KB from this model.

ETA: I understand this is a low price point 1911, and will not compete with a 2K 1911.

What is the Taurus "feasible" for? I would say holding a door open or digging a hole in the Earth.

As a long time 1911 shooter/fan, I would say that in order to get a combat reliable 1911, you will need to spend at least $1,200 (Springfield TRP) and really be looking at something in the $2200 + range. Why you ask? Because the reason why the cheaper 1911 are so cheap is because they are full of MIM parts.

We don't accept MIM parts in our optics mounts (ARMS throw levers) so why would we want them in our guns?

Now if the gun is going to be a safe queen and see limited rounds through it, then I would say buy whatever you want (as it doesn't matter). If you are actually going to put 3,000-5,000 rds a year through the gun and bet your life on it, I would say PASS!

C4

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast