Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911, feasible 1911 for defense?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Here's me eating HUMBLE PIE. What a piece of shit this Taurus PT1911 is.

It didn't even make it to the range before the left side safety worked itself loose and came OUT. I'll have to find some way to get something out of it.

I put it back in its case where it will sit until I sell it or trade it off.

I'm sorry I ever tried to defend it for anything other than what Grant said it should be used for. My humble apologies for this waste of bandwidth.

Hey man, no worries, and I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work out for you.

Ship it back to Taurus for repair/replacement, and when you get it back, let it go (that's what gunshows are for), use the money for another pistol, ammo for the one you've got, and/or maybe a training class from a good instructor.

We all learn through experiences like this. I spent about 20 years in the retail end of the firearms industry. I don't own a Taurus because I've seen first hand how they can and will shit the bed.

If you're looking for a 1911 in the sub $1K range, honestly, the Springfield Armory WWII GI or the Springfield Milspec are good guns that can be used as a base to build on as you get the funds and an idea of where you'd like to take it.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's me eating HUMBLE PIE. What a piece of shit this Taurus PT1911 is.

It didn't even make it to the range before the left side safety worked itself loose and came OUT. I'll have to find some way to get something out of it.

I put it back in its case where it will sit until I sell it or trade it off.

I'm sorry I ever tried to defend it for anything other than what Grant said it should be used for. My humble apologies for this waste of bandwidth.
    Lessons learned the hard way are often the ones that stick with us most strongly.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Everybody makes a purchase they regret every now and then. I've made several. In fact, that's the reason why a number of us have some fairly strong opinions...we've learned via the touching-the-hot-stove method a few times and it's left some scars.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I really wanted people to be wrong about this gun, but I got what I what paid for. I won't be so quick to defend the next manufacturer that has a questionable history.

I think I will just stick with what I already know. The 1911 will have to wait, I really want a TRP, but that's too steep and right now. I'll keep drooling and dreaming though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could get a GI/Mil-Spec to shoot now, and save up for the TRP package from the Springfield Custom Shop. Turnaround is about two months, prices are reasonable, workmanship is supposed to be excellent.

Personally, TRP on a GI/MS would be cooler anyway - I prefer the Colt-style rear serrations (and no fronts) to the TRP.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I really wanted people to be wrong about this gun, but I got what I what paid for. I won't be so quick to defend the next manufacturer that has a questionable history.

I think I will just stick with what I already know. The 1911 will have to wait, I really want a TRP, but that's too steep and right now. I'll keep drooling and dreaming though.
    People always want folks like JW777, Templar and myself to be wrong. The problem is that we are connected with THE best firearms instructors in the industry, we have owned just about every gun made and work in the firearms industry.

We are rarely wrong about stuff.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep in mind that most of the guys here who are offering negative opinions about Taurus pistols are not basing their opinions on 1 or 2 samples. From a statistical point of view, saying that "I bought a pistol and it works fine" doesn't mean much other than your particular pistol works ok.

Trainers, gunsmiths and even gun salesmen see a much larger sample of these pistols in action. The trainers' opinions are especially valuable because they see all types of pistols during classes where hundreds (sometimes thousands) of rounds are shot through them, which is more rounds than some people shoot through a pistol during their lifetime. They see which pistols puke and which one run like a Timex.

I don't think that anyone here is trying to convince people to buy Brand C or Brand S because they have a financial interest at stake. If there was a low priced pistol that was solid and reliable, EVERYONE would be jumping on it.
    Last edited by Dave Berryhill; 11-26-09 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    so before I bought the gun I detailed stripped it, in front of the gunstore clerk, after I signed a paper stating I would buy it if I could not get it back together without any extra parts laying around.
    That is a smart move, also hilarious that the store made you do that. It's almost like saying "we dont know how it works or goes together so if you take it apart we cant get it back together"
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I say save up the cash for what you really want instead of buying a mil-spec and sending it out later to be built up into something else.

It will take longer. But it will be worth the wait.

Good luck.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

JHP's are good times, for bad people.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Taurus 1911

For what its worth I bought one a few years back for my kids to shoot instead of my Kimber. It at about 1500 rounds with the only failure being a broken case in the chamber but I blame that on crappy gunshow ammo. It's a decent gun, not one that I would be comfortable staking my life on, but thats just me. Its held up well enough being abused by me and my teenagers. Hope that helps you some

Feedback Score
    Sucks it didn't work out.

I had one with about 6,000 rounds through it without failure before I blew up the barrel at a uspsa practice.

The safety can be fixed in about 10 seconds with a pair of pliars.

The Taurus was a good value for 500 bucks or so. But for the prices they are now the Springfield loaded and STI guns are a much better value. I run an average of 10,000 a year through my STI Trojan and its help up much better than the Trojan did. Slide to frame fit is still nice and tight.

I wouldn't get a milspec or GI. The 'smithing costs to get those up to par would equal the cost of the gun.

You don't need to spend anywhere near 2,000 bucks for a quality reliable 1911, probably half that, but the cheapest I would go is the Springfield loaded model which can be had for 800ish. Its got the basics you would want on an updated 1911 and they are great and reliable guns.
    Last edited by rrflyer; 11-28-09 at 11:27.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast