Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Single-Point -v- Two-Point Slings

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You also need to repost you pic with your shiny new LaRue Hard Mount instead of that soft mount.
    Just waiting for my new BCM upper with 14.5" Gov profile upper to arrive.....

Feedback Score

Angry

Slings are a PITA! They are required for any serious fire stick, however they are all a compromise. I don't think there is one perfect sling. IMO, you have to figure out what your needs are, choose some slings that may fit those needs, and spend some quality time putting them through the wringer.

I run different slings dependent on carbine/"mission", but none is perfect for everything. That said, I have not spent time with Vicker's sling yet, but I'll spare you the drama as to why.

For serious fighters, be that by occupation, defense, hobby, or otherwise, I honestly believe that is necessary to be commited to finding gear that fits, not fitting the gear one finds. Too often, I find people doing the latter. It is another method of "fighting your gear". I won't be so crass as to tell you "it's only money", but I will tell you that you can always get more greenbacks. Have you found a way to manufacture time lost at the range, or, God forbid, at a training class earning the famed moose appendage for something as silly as a $50 piece of kit?

Aubrey, I hope you don't take this as a personal slam, because it is anything but. I think we all need to take a serious look at what we are trying to do, and re-commit to seeing it through.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a two-year-old backorder with LF that will just about cover the cost of a Vickers sling. Right now every carbine in the armory has a Giles SP sling. It is what we have been trained on and works for what we do. Is it perfect? No. Does it "suck" as LAV says on his web site? We'll see. Interesting marketing technique, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubb-1
    Aubrey, I hope you don't take this as a personal slam, because it is anything but. I think we all need to take a serious look at what we are trying to do, and re-commit to seeing it through.
    Not at all brother. I agree totally that different applications require different gear; I also understand the compromise issue. One of my intentions in starting this thread was to hear from different folks what has worked (or not) for them and why, so that myself and others might benefit and perhaps not have to expend quite so many greenbacks in our quests for the least-compromised solution for each of us.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i completely agree that the choice of sling is dictated by an individual's needs. i've tried all kinds over the years, and keep getting sent slings to review, so i'm quite tired of them, especially when they're very similar.
    out of all the slings i have, i keep going back to my home made strap that runs from my weak shoulder to a receiver end plate. works better for me than any single point sling i've tried. it adjusts in length quickly, has a emergency release, and allows shooting from both shoulders and any position without adjustment. does all that i need it to. but then again, look at my needs. i'm a low speed civvie shooter with limited skills and training. sometimes the equipment that works well for the high-speed types doesn't necessarily work for me, since i have neither the ability nor skill (or need) that they do, and i'll be the first to admit that.
    as a person's skills and needs change, so will the gear/equipment. that's why we'll always have different options to choose from.
    the VCAS did make me rethink 2-pt slings vs 1-pt though, and i'll just have to use it more to see which i like better.

Feedback Score
    Aubrey : I really like the Vickers sling so far. It has been much easier to use than my CQB solutions slings and seems very well made. I would like to see wider webbing but that is more a personal thing. I had it attached to the buttstock and at the end of the hand guard rail (LaRue rail). I have since moved it off the buttstock and have it temp. fixed to the end of the receiver at the tube. Seems to work better here for me and allows more freedom with the buttstock when moving the rifle around. I have not yet decided what setup to will be my final in this location IE. reciver end plate or PR4 tube attachment. (I am leaning to the PR4).
    Thanks to all the criminals for the continued in-service training. Police K-9 "Diesel"
    In memory of retired K9 "Ranger" 11/97-12/06. A friend lost but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I just ordered a CSMGear single point sling with the bungee on the one side. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival, as I had a Troy Ind single point sling and it just did not fit me. I will let you guys know how it works once I get it running!

Feedback Score
    I personally like a single point sling. The Tactical Link X-180 is what I am currently running and I like the flexibility it provides between transitioning from left to right shoulders. http://www.tacticalink.com/Default.aspx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234