Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for Self Defense and CQB: My thoughts and experiences

Feedback Score
    Perhaps not such a great idea if you're wearing polarized sunglasses too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    Too bad theres a very vocal group on the internet with ZERO real world experience or training for that matter that will doggedly argue your well thought out logic.

Good post bro.
    thats to true... just alot of people want to say they have the best optic when there is no best optic.. it is what works best for you.. But for HD I would say irons with a good light would prolly be the best option and even a green laser as you do alot of point shooting in CQB as it is.. that is also a good thing to learn, being able to hit within a open hand in a small area like a room without even using your sights/optic.. I find you need to know that if you have a ACOG. you can get fast with the ACOG but nothing like a red dot in CQB.. I am thinking of getting the 1.5x compact ACOG I would think it would be almost as fast as a aimpoint yet give you a tiny bit of power for longer range stuff.. I have only used the TA11,TA33 and a few of the different TA31's after checking them out I went with the TA31F but I dont have my AR set up for HD but I could flip off the ACOG and flip up the BUIS and it would be in 2 secs.. I am thinking about getting a Aimpoint or the 1.5x ACOG compact for my next LMT build, prolly going to go with the ACOG 1.5x I dont have very good eyes and it would be for within 300m.. I will have to check one out befor buying..

anyone own a ACOG compact 1.5x, how do you like it?

Feedback Score
    I'm a LEO and I just attended a 2 day carbine course. I used iron sights only the first day and added an eotech 552 the second day. At close quarters distances, without optics, I was able to get (somewhere in the body cavity) hits fast by keeping a solid cheek weld and picking up only the front sight. However, I was able to make batter hits slightly faster with the eotech. I see some people claim that only the aimpoints are reliable. FWIW one of the instructors and two of the students in my class had eotechs. Every rifle except mine malfuntioned at some point during the course. None of the optics had any issues.
    That said, I do not trust any electronics with my life. I will be using a fixed BUIS so that all I have to do is squint my left eye and focus on my iron sights if the red dot ever disappears.

Feedback Score
    Durning my time with my unit(5+ years, 2 1/2 deployments to the sandbox, where i am currently at now again), i have used M68's, ACOG's(4x) and 552 EO Tech. I have used all of them on flat ranges(5-50m) shoot houses(day and nite) and actual combat(yes where the enemy is throwing everything at you to kill you).
    My favorite optic hands down is the 552, even so much to have gotten my own. I feel that I had better situal awerness and a easier reticule to see than just a dot.
    However, like it has been previously stated, there is no one optic for everyone in this world and it just comes down to operator preference.
    US ARMY, Retired
    INFANTRY, SNIPER SCHOOL, MACHINE GUN LEADER'S COURSE, COMPANY MASTER GUNNER, UNIT ARMORER, AIR ASSAULT
    OIF DEC 03-FEB 04, SEP 05-SEP 06, SEP 07-NOV 08
    OEF FEB 10-FEB 11

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score

Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm Riflescope

Leupold has several models of the 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm with Illuminated German #4 dot and an Illuminated circle dot. Would the German dot show up better during bright sun light over the circle dot? Would either of these scopes be good choice for home defense?

http://www.swfa.com/c-307-leupold-vx...flescopes.aspx

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I love the Leupold 1.5 - 5x for competition, but it's not something I would use at work.

The illuminated reticle washes out when used with white light and you are left with a black reticle. A black reticle is very hard to see on dark blue, brown, black, or other dark colored clothing.

For home defense I would choose an electronic red dot like an Aimpoint any day of the week over a variable powered scope like a Leupold or Schmidt and Bender.

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    I love the Leupold 1.5 - 5x for competition, but it's not something I would use at work.

The illuminated reticle washes out when used with white light and you are left with a black reticle. A black reticle is very hard to see on dark blue, brown, black, or other dark colored clothing.

For home defense I would choose an electronic red dot like an Aimpoint any day of the week over a variable powered scope like a Leupold or Schmidt and Bender.

S/F,
    Jeff
    Thanks, I will look at the Aimpoint.

Feedback Score

Two other options

The Meprolite reflex sight works on fiber optic light collection during the day and is tritium-illuminated at night - it's "always-on" and requires no batteries, and I think is a good choice for HD.

There's also the ITL MARS site, which does run on a AA battery, but is a reflex sight with variable yellow-dot size and, important for night and close-range - has a built in laser. (visible and IR)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, so it's now November 1st. Is there any more feedback from anyone regarding the Leupold Prismatic? They seem to out and available so what's the low down.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    I might as well had been carrying a musket or a M1 Garand.

Jeff

The mental picture I got from this caused stomach pains from laughing soo much.

"tactical musket"

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast