Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for Self Defense and CQB: My thoughts and experiences

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just saw your post. First I was cranky and I took your post to reason that because it was policy, it was a valid idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post

Do you understand what the various conditions are. Condition 1 is loaded chamber and loaded magazine safety on. Condition 3 or what is called cruiser carry in Law Enforcement Circles is loaded magazine and empty chamber. That is the proper way to store a long gun when not in use.
    When I store a weapon in a safe or in another way that it is not readily available I unload it. The AR15 has a floating firing pin and theoretically could fire if the weapon was accelerated to sufficient velocity and suddenly decelerated. The same is true of my 1911 and I don't think it's likely to occur. Furthermore as a three time Gunsite graduate I am well aware of the different conditions one can carry and store weapons in.

I realize you are still just a student. But you should make sure you word your post where it is not flame bait and you should make sure you read the posters post fully before replying. I did not state my agency does not allow condition one. I said my agency and most all leo agencys do not allow condtion one storage of long guns. A little respect goes a long way.
    I apologize if I disrespected you, but your tone is disrespectful of me as well. Yes I am a college student. I spent some time in the real world, went back to school and am now four required classes from a degree. I also have several hundred hours of professional shooting instruction and years of experience carrying and using firearms.

Also long guns are generally considered offensive firearms while pistols are considered defensive in nature. We break out the long guns when we know there is going to be a fight. We carry handguns when we don't expect a fight but they are there just in case. Obviously a home defense situation is different but its still not a good idea to store your long guns with a loaded chamber in the home. I feel storing a long gun with the chamber loaded is stupid.

Pat
    Storing a weapon locked upright in a cruiser loaded would be foolish, I agree. There is no point when you have to manipulate the weapon anyway to unlock it, yet the weapon is not well secured in the cruiser when it is left alone. What bothers me is that many agencies require the weapon to always be unloaded in vehicles regardless of how it is carried. I'm not bothered rolling down the highway with a loaded rifle jammed between the seats. I also cover it so it can't be seen and I don't leave it unattended so it can't be stolen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    Aimpoint M2 / ML2 / M3 / ML3 / Comp M4 / M4S Micro T1......just leave it on and change the batteries on a regular basis.

For CQB work I still prefer a 4 MOA dot, but have been used 2 MOA Aimpoint ML3's / M4's for the last few years. Not a huge issue, just something that I have noticed that I prefer based on my first hand experiences.

S/F,
    Jeff
    Thanks for that. It reinforces to me that I am on the right track for my first optic.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Just saw your post. First I was cranky and I took your post to reason that because it was policy, it was a valid idea.

When I store a weapon in a safe or in another way that it is not readily available I unload it. The AR15 has a floating firing pin and theoretically could fire if the weapon was accelerated to sufficient velocity and suddenly decelerated. The same is true of my 1911 and I don't think it's likely to occur. Furthermore as a three time Gunsite graduate I am well aware of the different conditions one can carry and store weapons in.

I apologize if I disrespected you, but your tone is disrespectful of me as well. Yes I am a college student. I spent some time in the real world, went back to school and am now four required classes from a degree. I also have several hundred hours of professional shooting instruction and years of experience carrying and using firearms.

Storing a weapon locked upright in a cruiser loaded would be foolish, I agree. There is no point when you have to manipulate the weapon anyway to unlock it, yet the weapon is not well secured in the cruiser when it is left alone. What bothers me is that many agencies require the weapon to always be unloaded in vehicles regardless of how it is carried. I'm not bothered rolling down the highway with a loaded rifle jammed between the seats. I also cover it so it can't be seen and I don't leave it unattended so it can't be stolen.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    It is not just my agency its pretty much all lEO agencies and the military as well. Storing a rifle or shotgun with a loaded chamber is not a good idea. Now as soon as you put your hands on the weapon it should be loaded at that time. But its stupid to have the weapon with a loaded chamber in the rack or in any other location where you are not in actual control of that long gun. Long guns are not designed with the drop safeties that handguns are. For example if you were to get into an accient with your cruiser your long gun could fire. Most handguns are designed to be carried fully loaded and are drop safe. Most long guns are not designed this way.

Do you understand what the various conditions are. Condition 1 is loaded chamber and loaded magazine safety on. Condition 3 or what is called cruiser carry in Law Enforcement Circles is loaded magazine and empty chamber. That is the proper way to store a long gun when not in use. I realize you are still just a student. But you should make sure you word your post where it is not flame bait and you should make sure you read the posters post fully before replying. I did not state my agency does not allow condition one. I said my agency and most all leo agencys do not allow condtion one storage of long guns. A little respect goes a long way. Also long guns are generally considered offensive firearms while pistols are considered defensive in nature. We break out the long guns when we know there is going to be a fight. We carry handguns when we don't expect a fight but they are there just in case. Obviously a home defense situation is different but its still not a good idea to store your long guns with a loaded chamber in the home. I feel storing a long gun with the chamber loaded is stupid.

Pat
    Good response - our dept is same. We also require a chamber flag be put in (the stick kind with a big loop). If positioned just right, you can pull it out so that it catches the bolt sufficiently to charge a round.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just deleted over twenty extraneous posts.

If this thread doesn't get back in line people are going to start getting hammered.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 03-10-09 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
    I used both the older Elcan and have a small amount of trigger time on the newer Specter (or whatever it's called). Didn't care for either of them.

S/F,
    Jeff
    Would you please expand upon what you did not like about the Elcan?

On paper it would seem like it is an Aimpoint & and an ACOG in one package.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rumor Mill Filter On:

One problem with Ellcan's that I have heard of (but can not swear to) is that they are listed as a non-exportable item. One poster on (another board?) bewailed the problems with trying to get the tritium component renewed in Canada.

I remember reading about this a year or so ago, but have not investigated further.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    One poster on (another board?) bewailed the problems with trying to get the tritium component renewed in Canada.
    The irony being that the CAN in Elcan stands for Canada.

I saw your screen name over in NE Shooters. What part of MA do you live in?
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 03-15-09 at 00:42.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I've often looked at the Leupold CQ/T as glass better suited to a different rifle than the AR (even a 20" bbl'd rifle). It seems too ungainly on that platform, and given that part of the advantage of a carbine-length weapon is it's size and light weight, the glass shouldn't be slowing it down, from being RAPIDLY deployed.

That said, I still like the CQ/T... astride my PTR91 though. Having had Williams Trigger Specialties tune it up for me, I like the CQ/T / .308 combo, for LONGER range work. Seems it would be well-suited to the FAL & M1A too, if you own such a rifle.

$.02 from a satisfied CQ/T owner.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    The irony being that the CAN in Elcan stands for Canada.

I saw your screen name over in NE Shooters. What part of MA do you live in?
    North of Boston; Watertown/Cambridge/Waltham area.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast