Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Optics for Self Defense and CQB: My thoughts and experiences

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
    FWIW, somewhere between 30% and 60% of the population exhibit astigmatism, which makes RDS less than ideal. (I googled and found both numbers and spanned them...) I'm among that group, and am trying to decide if a fast blur for close range outweighs the real lack of precision for longer range - it's much more of a problem for those with that eyesight problem than for those without it, and it's not a small part of the population.

I'd sure prefer facts and arguments to assurance that the other folks are wrong, which is seldom the case, anyway. The Aimpoint argument is easiest, as there isn't much to compare with it, with EOTech likely looking to need a depot level maintenance facility. On the other hand, I'm finding the 1-4x scopes nearly impossible to choose among, as the scopes with good qualities are much, much more expensive than the RDS.
    I have astigmatism and for the ranges where a Red Dot is ideal its not an issue. For small targets and precision shooting your better off with a scope.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Simply having astigmatism does not negate the utility of a RDS. The military and LEO communities reflect society in general and for the most part the RDS works as intended. I have 20/18 vision with a slight uncorrected astigmatism and the RDS is the way to go. My wife has corrected vision with a bad astigmatism and sees only a bundle of grapes through my Aimpoints. An Acog TA44SG works much better for her. This is still much faster for her than irons. The slight 1.5X magnification is all it takes. If someone doesn't prefer an RDS that's their choice and I wouldn't try to change their mind, for them. For the vast majority of shooters the RDS is the best answer we currently have.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A rather intresting article from Kyle Defoor. This is the first time I actually read numbers from a reliable source as to speed.

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/02/ir....html#comments

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/12/ir...-year.html?m=1

Feedback Score

Optics for Self Defense and CQB: My thoughts and experiences

Revisited this thread.....still great info
    Last edited by old grunt; 05-03-15 at 11:00.
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Revisited this thread.....still great info
    Not bad considering that this thread would currently be right about at the limits of the battery life of a Comp M4S left on at the manual-tested setting.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718