Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC Barrel Twist Rate?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Question 6.8 SPC Barrel Twist Rate?

What is the proper twist rate for a 6.8 SPC barrel? I have seen 1/10, 1/11 and 1/12. I would most likely use 110 and 115 gr ammunition.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have been told 1/10. I don't know if that is correct, but it is what Noveske has for his 6.8
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    I have been told 1/10. I don't know if that is correct, but it is what Noveske has for his 6.8
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=
    Not any more novoske uses 1/12 and a spec 2 chamber
    The 1/10 twist rate is standard for the 270 win when the 6.8 came out that is what they used. The 1/11 and 1/12 twist rates work better for the spec 2 chambers.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 11-27-09 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    The longer free bore of the spec 2 chamber and the slower twist rate will allow you to safely use SSA combat loads which are loaded to higher pressure.

For shooters who'd like even more performance, and who have the proper rifle, SSA offers a velocity step-up. Its 85-grain TSX Combat Load features the same Barnes bullet, but driven to an impressive 3,000 fps. Yes, that's 3,000 fps from a 16-inch AR.

Terminal performance of this load promises to be even better than the standard load.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 11-27-09 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    IIRC Dr. Gary Roberts says the 1:11 with SPC II is the ideal combo. That's the twist and chamber my White Oak 6.8 barrel is.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Noveske used to use the 1:10 SAAMI spec chamber, but got enough requests to switch over to the 1:12 0.100" freebore, more commonly known as the SPECII chamber.

White Oak doesn't specify SAAMI, SPECII or otherwise last time I conversed with him on email, but he does 1:11 with 0.100" freebore, so it is in fact SPECII.
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 11-27-09 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    We think 1-11 4 groove w/SPC II chamber will be industry standard in the near future, maybe called 6.8x43 instead of 6.8SPC

Feedback Score
    The original Murray/SPCII chamber rather than the overly tight Remington SAAMI chamber is the critical factor in proper 6.8 mm performance--much more so than barrel twist, just like it is critical to ensure a true 5.56 mm chamber instead of a SAAMI .223 one.

While it is clear that 6.8 mm rifles with barrels around 16" firing typical 115 gr and under projectiles work very well with 1/11-1/12 twist barrels, in some cases slower barrel twists can create terminal performance problems with certain projectiles launched from very short barrels. For very short barrel weapons, a faster twist rate may be necessary to ensure an appropriate rotational velocity to maximize the terminal performance of some types of projectiles...

As an example of rotational velocity issues, lets look at a hypothetical 5.56 mm JSP projectile launched from a 20" 1/10 twist barrel with a MV of 2900 f/s; the projectile hits a target at 300 yds with an impact velocity of 2100 fps and expands normally. Yet when that same projectile is launched from say an 8" 1/10 twist barrel with a MV of 2100 fps and hits a target 3 yds away, the projectile fails to expand. Why? The impact velocities are the same, so why did the projectile launched from the short barrel fail to upset? New research indicates that a major variance is the difference in rotational velocity. While the impact velocities for the two shots are the same, the shot from the longer barrel has a much higher retained rotational velocity at 300 yds--in this case say 35% higher than even the initial rotational velocity of the SBR, since rotational velocity decays at a much slower rate than linear velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The original Murray/SPCII chamber rather than the overly tight Remington SAAMI chamber is the critical factor in proper 6.8 mm performance--much more so than barrel twist, just like it is critical to ensure a true 5.56 mm chamber instead of a SAAMI .223 one.

While it is clear that 6.8 mm rifles with barrels around 16" firing typical 115 gr and under projectiles work very well with 1/11-1/12 twist barrels, in some cases slower barrel twists can create terminal performance problems with certain projectiles launched from very short barrels. For very short barrel weapons, a faster twist rate may be necessary to ensure an appropriate rotational velocity to maximize the terminal performance of some types of projectiles...

As an example of rotational velocity issues, lets look at a hypothetical 5.56 mm JSP projectile launched from a 20" 1/10 twist barrel with a MV of 2900 f/s; the projectile hits a target at 300 yds with an impact velocity of 2100 fps and expands normally. Yet when that same projectile is launched from say an 8" 1/10 twist barrel with a MV of 2100 fps and hits a target 3 yds away, the projectile fails to expand. Why? The impact velocities are the same, so why did the projectile launched from the short barrel fail to upset? New research indicates that a major variance is the difference in rotational velocity. While the impact velocities for the two shots are the same, the shot from the longer barrel has a much higher retained rotational velocity at 300 yds--in this case say 35% higher than even the initial rotational velocity of the SBR, since rotational velocity decays at a much slower rate than linear velocity.

Thanks for sharing this info, I have never thought about RV in terms of projectile performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Some very good points from an expert on the subject of which I admit I have very little personal knowledge. I agree rate of twist isn't a major factor in reducing chamber pressure, however #, size and shape of the grooves does seem to have a noticable effect.

My main use of the 6.8 is for hunting, mostly hogs, deer and predators. Here I do have some knowledge and a lot of experience. We (guests, clients and myself) have shot 40+ hogs and 20+ deer YTD with the 6.8 as well as done a fair amount of bullet performance testing on large deceased hogs. All has been with 1-11 twist barrels ranging from 11" to 18" with most being 4 groove. Muzzzle velocities for 110gr bullets has been 2325-2600fps depending on load and barrel length. The following bullets have reliably performed as to be expected for their respective design.

Barnes TSX and TTSX
    Nosler Accubond
    Sierra Pro Hunter

I have even used the 130gr Nosler Accubond in my 11" SBR (MV 2150fps) on several hogs will good success.

DPMS has now standardized on a SPC II chamber and 1-11 twist and it is my understanding that Bushmaster is in the process of doing so too.

GKR tks for the this and the previous info you have shared with me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast