Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Power

Feedback Score

Emergency Power

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out an emergency source of electricity.

This would be for the occasional power outage, SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI.

I want to be able to run at least my fridge and/or gas furnace's blower, so I figure I need at least 1,750-2,000 watts.

I'm 35 years old, and I want something that will last me the rest of my natural life (40+ years).

I'm looking at generators, and a decent 3,250 Generac runs $450. Downside: they're expensive, bulky, and relatively complicated.

I'm also looking at power inverters (to run off one of my cars), and 2,000 watts runs $200 or so.

I don't have any problem storing enough gasoline to feed either of these options for weeks and weeks.

Any thoughts?

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if you saw this but here is a great thread on generators.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38034
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Spade.

I saw that thread, but I'm still curious about the generator vs. inverter issue.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Last year I tried to use a inverter 1800 watts If I recall correctly to power a single door, 21 CF refrigerator over at my brothers house. His power was off for 6 hours and he was afraid that his food was going to spoil. We used a 15 foot extension cord plugged directly to the refrigerator from the inverter and 1800 watts would not cut it. The surge for the refrigerator was rated at 970 watts so the 1800 watts should have covered it. I ended up dragging a 3000 watt generator over 30 minutes later and all was fine. I checked the output from the vehicle to the inverter the next day and all was within spec and the extension cord checked out also, who knows but I'll never rely on one again to power anything bigger then a lap-Top.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Last year I tried to use a inverter 1800 watts If I recall correctly to power a single door, 21 CF refrigerator over at my brothers house. His power was off for 6 hours and he was afraid that his food was going to spoil. We used a 15 foot extension cord plugged directly to the refrigerator from the inverter and 1800 watts would not cut it. The surge for the refrigerator was rated at 970 watts so the 1800 watts should have covered it. I ended up dragging a 3000 watt generator over 30 minutes later and all was fine. I checked the output from the vehicle to the inverter the next day and all was within spec and the extension cord checked out also, who knows but I'll never rely on one again to power anything bigger then a lap-Top.
    What exactly happened when you tried it?

I've heard a bunch of these kinds of stories... somebody on Amazon says that the 1500watt Duracell/Xantrex inverter wouldn't run her fridge.

I can't quite understand why this happens. My sense is that some (cheap) inverters have a breakers installed in each outlet that pop at 10amps or so.
    I'm not an electrician, but 10amps is only 1200 watts, so that might be why you couldn't run the fridge.

Some of the better inverters advertise that they'll run the whole current though either outlet, at 20 amps or so.

Also, a lot of the better inverters have MUCH higher surge ratings than there "rated" power. For example, cheap 1500 watt inverters only seem to "surge" to 1800, but the better ones will "surge" to 3000 (though that still wouldn't do any good if the breakers in the outlets pop).

Keep it coming, please,

Bimmer
    Last edited by Bimmer; 11-30-09 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The fuse was 20amp and not blow and I just checked the inverter its 1800 normal output and no surge is listed. I have not idea why it didn't work as the inverter was double the listed power needs of the Frig, maybe the extension cord was to long at 15 feet, we had the SUV pulled right up to the kitchen window and could go no shorter on the cord.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    The fuse was 20amp and not blow and I just checked the inverter its 1800 normal output and no surge is listed. I have not idea why it didn't work as the inverter was double the listed power needs of the Frig, maybe the extension cord was to long at 15 feet, we had the SUV pulled right up to the kitchen window and could go no shorter on the cord.
    I still don't get it. You mean nothing happened at all?

Does the inverter work at all? Did you try something that would draw less current (like a lamp, or a night-light?)?

I'm confused,

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up GENERATOR

I am only experienced with a generator 7500w. I have spent many weeks a year w/out power due to t-storms or ice. And a generator is bulky somewhat but not really that complicated besides there is dependable comfort in that bulk on stormy nights with trees down everywhere.
    It fires up and the lights come on.
    Only drawback is you must have sufficient surplus gas and oil.
    Other than that is a life saver IMO.

Michael
    The things we own end up owning us ...

If experience is the best teacher then pain is the best experience ! ...MRG

LUKE 22:35

Feedback Score
    I get it, Hammerdrop...

Santa brought me a Generac 3250!

UPS smashed it, so it's going back, but I really, really like the idea of having it here...

I cleared out some stuff in the garage to make room for it, ordered a couple gas cans, and I've already read the owners manual (I did that before I unboxed it totally).

Bimmer

Feedback Score

Gensets

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out an emergency source of electricity.

This would be for the occasional power outage, SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI.

I want to be able to run at least my fridge and/or gas furnace's blower, so I figure I need at least 1,750-2,000 watts.

I'm 35 years old, and I want something that will last me the rest of my natural life (40+ years).

I'm looking at generators, and a decent 3,250 Generac runs $450. Downside: they're expensive, bulky, and relatively complicated.

I'm also looking at power inverters (to run off one of my cars), and 2,000 watts runs $200 or so.

I don't have any problem storing enough gasoline to feed either of these options for weeks and weeks.

Any thoughts?

Bimmer
    Bimmer,
    I recently posted on the generator forum but I will give you my two cents anyway. Spend the money and get a good diesel generator. There are several options to look at with all the military surplus stuff coming back. I have been in the construction biz since '88 and have personally smoked 4 of the gas generators that you would commonly see on a job site. They run at 3600 rpm's
    and typically last a few hundred hrs. If you are looking for long haul equipment go diesel. They usually run at 1800 rpms and burn considerably less fuel which by the way will store for years if treated properly. You will get thousands of hrs of useage instead of hundreds. I purchased a diesel genset [Lister] off of ebay for $1200 a couple of years back. This is a very simple[ but not exactly portable] unit that is designed for remote locations. The generator was used with 300 hrs which is minimal for a diesel. I see several military diesel gensets that are in the 3-5 kw range that would be fairly easy to handle if weight and portability are your concerns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast