Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency Power

Feedback Score
    The main danger is feeding the power grid that could injure line workers, but you already mentioned you would kill the main breaker to prevent that.
    Doing this does NOT take the place of installing a transfer switch and the safety it provides. True, the 2 "hot" lines going to your house are connected to the main. You open the main and you are disconnected from the grid and all is OK right?

Unfortunately this is wrong, many people forget about the neutral. If there is a ground or if something is miswired on your end, the potential exists to send voltage back to the grid and fry a lineman through the neutral.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Doing this does NOT take the place of installing a transfer switch and the safety it provides. True, the 2 "hot" lines going to your house are connected to the main. You open the main and you are disconnected from the grid and all is OK right?

Unfortunately this is wrong, many people forget about the neutral. If there is a ground or if something is miswired on your end, the potential exists to send voltage back to the grid and fry a lineman through the neutral.
    You're right. I gave up this idea.

I set up my generator totally independently of the household wiring. I put a grounding rod in my yard, and I'm running extension cords and power strips in case of emergency.

Bimmer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123