Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Ballistic Software ?

Feedback Score

What Ballistic Software ?

My iPhone has 2 possible apps to process ballistic information. Knight's "Bulletflight" or "Ballistic" by Jonathan Zdziarski. Ballistic seems to be more popular but Bulletflight may be better known.

Does anyone have experience with these? Which one would you choose and why?

Thanx guys.

Feedback Score
    I am interested in long range shooting as accurately as possible. Target shooting only.

Feedback Score
    Ballistic seems to be very popular! I have both and I use ballistic more than bulletflight simply because I can use the IPHY setting instead of MOA as my scopes adjust "Inches Per Hundred Yards".

On the other side Bulletflight is probably every bit as accurate as Ballistic!

For the price, get both and you decide!

Feedback Score
    Thanx Sniper1. I am going to try Ballistic first as it seems much more popular and is more likely to have my bullet and weapon builtin. (Black Hills 68gr .223 and S&W M&P-15)

Feedback Score
    I use the 5.11 Tactical Field Ops Watch....It has a Sure Shot Ballistics Calculator built into the watch. From rough guesses shooting 2" groups at 800 yards with just estimating wind-speeds, and muzzle volatility....watch also has a pretty good built in digital compass.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."- Benjamin Franklin

audentes fortuna iuvat.
    Fortune favors the bold...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stage2 View Post
    I use the 5.11 Tactical Field Ops Watch....It has a Sure Shot Ballistics Calculator built into the watch. From rough guesses shooting 2" groups at 800 yards with just estimating wind-speeds, and muzzle volatility....watch also has a pretty good built in digital compass.
    Not my intention to thread jack, but I've seen the 5.11 watch in the NRA catalog and have tried to find photos of how the watch display works when displaying calculator data.
    What information do you have to enter into the watch, and how does it display the results?

Thanks
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For any iTouch/iPhone ballistic app. I'd recommend Ballistic FTE as well, it is GTG
    Last edited by SPDGG; 12-20-09 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    I went with the "Ballistic Field Tactical Edition" by Jonathan Zdziarski. I think it cost $20. On the plus side it is the slickest piece of software I have ever used. It actually goes out and gets the local Atmospheric data, ie baro pressure, temp, humidity etc. It computes the effect of earth's rotation on bullet flight as well as the usual drop and windage. The database of bullets and loads seems very complete to me. It's resulting tables are useful and appear to be accurate given my 100 rounds of testing. The Head Up Display is great.

On the negative side - Although this is called the Field Tactical Edition there is a disclaimer in the "About" section stating "Not for use under duress or field combat situations". I hope that is truly junk added by the lawyers to cover their azzes. Also there is no weapon profiles allowed. ie barrel length etc. Muzzle velocity is there but doesn't that change for a bullet depending on the weapon. One needs to chrono each bullet thru each weapon one is using for truly accurate numbers.

I would most certainly recommend this software.

I tried to down load Knight's Bulletflight from App Store but it was no longer available??

Feedback Score
    Exbal Software on any PDA works great. It will give you info on MOA Mils and other options. Everything you need.

R.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    On the negative side - ... Also there is no weapon profiles allowed. ie barrel length etc. Muzzle velocity is there but doesn't that change for a bullet depending on the weapon. One needs to chrono each bullet thru each weapon one is using for truly accurate numbers. ...
    I purchased the same program last week. If you enter the "Trajectory" portion of the program you can select/enter your bullet data, barrel twist rate, weather conditions, muzzle velocity you chronographed, distance zeroed, sight height above the bore's axis... and save it. Basically you can have the program calculate trajectory based off all the pertinent data you entered and saved. It will compare the atmospheric conditions at the time you zeroed to the current conditions at the time you are taking the shot and factor that in its calculations. Barrel length, type of action...are not a factors, but twist rate and muzzle velocity are.

So far I am very impressed with it. My complaints are the lack of an instruction manual and the fact it will not factor lead on a moving target. At least I do not believe it will factor lead. Hopefully someone will post that I am wrong and how to do it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast