Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What Ballistic Software ?

Feedback Score
    Most ballistic apps have a truing feature. If you do not have a chrono. But a chrono will show you your ES and SD which are important factors when shooting any real distance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Most ballistic apps have a truing feature. If you do not have a chrono. But a chrono will show you your ES and SD which are important factors when shooting any real distance
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by a "truing feature"? I've been using Ballistic AE for the past 4 years, and - while I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do - I've never seen a truing feature in it.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Truing the app allows you to ensure that all the information you input into the app is correct. For example, if you input, let's say for a .308, velocity at 2650 for 175gr. SMK's. Using the G7 ( which you should address use over G1 ballistic curves) BC of
    .243. If you hit the calculator it will spit out a bunch of data for whatever range you set. Let's use 1000 yards.

So my app tells me at 500 yards I need to dial (Using MOA) 11 MOA to hit at 500 yards. And at 750 yards I need to dial 22.4 MOA, and finally at 1000 yards it tells me to dial 38.1 MOA.

Now the moment of truth, forget about spin drift and wind, etc for now, just for this example. You go to sit at 500 yards using or app and you dialed 11 MOA , you shoot and the bullet impacts low. , repeat the process again, impact low... etc.. you then dial to 12 MOA, you shoot, perfect center impact. You write down 12 MOA on your card (dope).

Then at 750 yards you dialed to 22.4 MOA, you shoot and forget spin drift, scope being leveled etc.. wind, you impact low again. Repeating again , you finally have to dial up to 23.6 MOA to get center mass hits.

At 1000 you ended up dial up again at 39.8 MOA or so..

So your app is wrong! You are impacting low at every range past 500 yards. What is causing the frustration. You check your scope to bore height you imputed, and all the data is correct assuming you even have the correct BC. You then hit the truing option, not sure in AE where that is. But AB for example allows you to input your actual dope you dialed for 500, 750, and 1000 yards and it then tells you that your actual velocity was 2630, not 2650! No wonder I was hitting low! Then you can automatically update your profile for that fun to reflect that your real velocity is 2630 for some reason. Remember to take environmental factors out too, I forgot that, too many variables to worry about for the sake of this lesson.

Why is the velocity off, because most Chrono's are off a bit, that's why stick to Labradar or Magnetospeed.
    If you know your right on the velocity then you CA. True the app to a different BC which will then change the dope, obviously you change the BC to reflect tour actual data you witnessed in my example.

This is truing your app or data to real life data.

If all your data is correct you should see first round hits out past 1000 yards. Shooter app got me first round hits at 1 mile with my 6.5 SAUM.

Did that make sense?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes sir. Thank you.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678