Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What Ballistic Software ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Thanks. Think I am going to give Shooter a try.
    I have TRASOL, Shooter and AB. There's a large debate with Litz and Frank regarding TRASOL. All three sync to a cloud. I would go TRASOL and AB.

AB pros: has a large bullet library, easy to use, can email your DOPE, has some cool "Tools" feature. Has Litz personal Doppler BC's. Syncs with my Kestrel

Cons- none really

TRASOL pros: unbelievable HUD to get distance and speed, accurate, uses newer software to calculate data

Cons: no bullet library, no way to email your DOPE as of yet.

SHOOTER is the same as AB, AB has more features.

I would get both AB and TRASOL. I use them together .

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry for the thread necomancy, but I figured it would be best to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. My question is does anyone know of a ballistic app that considers barrel length into it's calculations? I currently use Ballistic AE on my iPhone, but as far as I know it does not factor in barrel length. From what I can tell it just defaults to a 24 inch barrel.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Sorry for the thread necomancy, but I figured it would be best to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. My question is does anyone know of a ballistic app that considers barrel length into it's calculations? I currently use Ballistic AE on my iPhone, but as far as I know it does not factor in barrel length. From what I can tell it just defaults to a 24 inch barrel.
    May I ask why you need to input barrel length?

The best ballistic apps like AB and TRASOL won't have a section for barrel length. It plays no role into your calculations . That's why you input the velocity, that's the main factor and your BC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    May I ask why you need to input barrel length?

The best ballistic apps like AB and TRASOL won't have a section for barrel length. It plays no role into your calculations . That's why you input the velocity, that's the main factor and your BC.
    To
    It matters because I don't reload and most ammo manufacturers test their ammo on 24" barrels. My rifle has a 16" barrel so the velocities are wrong for my rifle straight out of the box. So then I have to manually calculate what the correct velocity should be. It would just be nice if the app would calculate the correct velocity for me.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    It matters because I don't reload and most ammo manufacturers test their ammo on 24" barrels. My rifle has a 16" barrel so the velocities are wrong for my rifle straight out of the box. So then I have to manually calculate what the correct velocity should be. It would just be nice if the app would calculate the correct velocity for me.
    Reloading or not it doesn't matter!
    Here's why:
    You cannot trust the stated velocity for any ammo on a box, it's never, I mean never accurate. If if you were to have a 24" barrel doesn't mean you will have the same velocity. There are so many factors that play a role.

You HAVE to chrono YOUR rifle. That is what you have to go by, that's also why you will never see a barrel length option in any software for ballistics, it doesn't matter , as I stated earlier.

Even if your rifle had the same barrel length, you can have a different twist rate, rifling, chamber dimensions, throat wear, free bore length, shorter chamber dimensions like a 5.56 and or a .223. Etc... just to name a few. Also, at what temp was the ammo velocity on the Box tested at, What elevation, humidity etc...

The stated velocity on that box means squat!

So get a chrono and test your loads in your rifle. I have a matching hunting rig with my dad, custom made. I use .4 grains less powder then his to get the same velocity of 3,124.

PM if you have more questions.

Next discussion is what chrono to get... go Labradar or Magnetospeed.

Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    No app is going to calculate muzzle velocity. In order to do so it would have to take into account burn rates for different powders, primers, the number of rounds through the barrel, etc.

Get a chronograph and figure out your true muzzle velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    No app is going to calculate muzzle velocity. In order to do so it would have to take into account burn rates for different powders, primers, the number of rounds through the barrel, etc.

Get a chronograph and figure out your true muzzle velocity.
    Amen brother! Also, the lot # plays a role too

Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Amen brother! Also, the lot # plays a role too

Exactly. There's a reason chronographs are a thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the help guys.

Feedback Score
    I have been running ballistic AE on my Iphone. I also did not have access to a chrono, so I have been inputting the approx. data from my loads with 4064 and 175 GRN MK..It got me pretty close. The cool thing was I was able to get some range time with a guy who does alot of long range shooting, and we trued the program to where my rifle was hitting at 1K...Dead on now. I actually broke one of the large clay targets at 1K, which surprised me

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast