Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines choose H&K to make SAW replacement

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    BAC, the 416 utilizes a gas piston system, but it's still gas operated, versus recoil operated like a HK roller locking system for instance.
    Last edited by TOrrock; 12-05-09 at 09:39.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    A piston is gas operated. It is not direct impingement like an M16/M4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
    As a combat MP, a few years back, the M60 was often a squad level weapon. I guess the connection is, from my experience in my unit, the .30 cal medium machine gun went away, and was replaced by a 5.56 medium machine gun. I would hate to see things downsized to only IAR's from there. Just a thought, probably not a viable concern or possibility.
    Infantry Automatic Rifle. I doubt such units as MPs will be issued this rifle for some time.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 12-05-09 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well, maybe the Combat MPs.....

In what world is a 5.56-chambered weapon a medium ANYTHING weapon? It's not in the weapon designations, doctrinal pubs, shcool-house curriculums, nothing. Maybe if Lilliputians existed, it'd be a heavy gun to them....

Dude can't even categorize weapons correctly; no wonder he's looking at the IAR and envisioning the M240 somehow going bye-bye, they're all just machineguns to him, all the same.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score

Recurring theme?

Remember the Brits had to call on H&K to get that "Made in England" Enfield to work. They had a great Bull Pup in 1946? The EM2, a .280 calibre, worked great. America wanted a full battle Rifle round, but shorter than the 30-06, enter the NATO round, 7.62X51 or in civilian mode .308.

Uncontrollable in full auto mode in a rifle.

Then up comes the 5.56mm or .223, a dog shooter. Now the one that everybody wants to move too, the 6.8mm very close to .280! Hullo!!

The Aussies and the Irish went to the AUG? Weather and terrain is vastly different, the only connection I see, they both like their beer?

The AUG, comes apart in two bits, carry in a back pack, the longest bit 21" full 30 round magazine inserted. You can travel anywhere, no weapon showing, train, plane, helicopter, truck.

Lock 16" barrel in, drop bolt, safety off (right under your trigger finger like an 870) press trigger, single shots, pull fully to rear, full auto.

If it gets red hot, when it lock's open on an empty magazine, grab forward folding handle (made of fiber that's plastic to us!) unlock barrel from rifle b/4 it warps, pull spare from your battle pack (you do not touch hot steel) cold hammer formed replacement in place, replace magazine, drop slide and now you are ready to rock and roll.

The longest piece, the frame, 21" They have been around since 1977.

And the gas piston is a couple of inches long, chrome plated, no gas and carbon into the working parts, three position gas plug, normal, dirty, closed off (For bombs! live round fired, slip your grenade on the barrel, not from the shoulder! arms in 10m) and we don't want a bull pup!

Would have taken that garbage ammo; that was loaded with dirty crap powder that went to Viet Nam. Just a comment, Ammo; predated Aug.

Both eyes open optic, 1.5 magnification, dropped from 6 ft, bounces.

Not invented here? Now pulling my cammo cape over my head!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well you got it all figured out don't you.

WTF does this have to do with the SAW or IAW?

Are you suggesting the US military go to AUGs in .280?
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 12-05-09 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Well you got it all figured out don't you.

WTF does this have to do with the SAW or IAW?

Are you suggesting the US military go to AUGs in .280?
    You are a real pleasant person are you not? (WTF?)

My Dad said if you can not say anything nice, say Newt.
    Hark to that, young man.

Feedback Score
    HK makes good kit. I like my LWRC also.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Scouse, the Australians #1 pick for 5.56 rifle was the M16A2, based on weapons trials. But, Colt would not give them a license to produce.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    I dont know why some people act like the automatic rifle is some new bizarre thing.

The SA80 has an IAR variant, as does the AUG. Obviously there is an M16 model and the RPK.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast