Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over torqued barrel nut

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Over torqued barrel nut

Was installing my NSR rail and I think I may have over torqued my barrel nut. Is there any way to tell if I did?

I tightened it PRETTY hard and had a REALLY Really hard time getting it loose. I checked the threads but did not see any damage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I take it you didn't use a torque wrench? That is how you tell if you used the proper torque.

Torque to 30 ft/lbs, loosen. Do this twice. Torque to 30 lbs for the third time and continue tightening until gas tube is aligned without exceeding 80 ft/lbs. Use moly grease on the threads.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 10-20-12 at 00:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I take it you didn't use a torque wrench? That is how you tell if you used the proper torque.

Torque to 30 ft/lbs, loosen. Do this twice. Torque to 30 lbs for the third time and continue tightening until gas tube is aligned without exceeding 80 ft/lbs.
    no torque wrench.

Its a NSR block, did not have to align tube.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reading comprehension issue on my part. Missed the NSR..

You still need a torque wrench to do it properly. http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/n...guard_inst.pdf

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Reading comprehension issue on my part. Missed the NSR..

You still need a torque wrench to do it properly. http://noveskerifleworks.com/impdf/n...guard_inst.pdf
    OK. But my question is, how can you tell if there is damage and what will happen if its over torqued and then torqued to correct in pounds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did you Moly Grease the threads first to prevent galling and striping of the Aluminum by the Steel??
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used anti seize grease

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have taken standard barrel nuts off that were way over 80 ft lbs and the threads on the receiver were not damaged. I used to think a long time ago when the standard barrel nut groove lined up right at about 30 fl lbs that it would come loose after a while. I did one a few weeks ago that lined up right at 45 ft lbs and going the next slot over was over 80 ft lbs, at least with my torque wrench. I have over 1000 rounds on one that was set right at 30 ft lbs and it hasn't come loose yet. Again the ones that I worked on, specifically DPMS uppers when I put on a BCM barrel for some guys were well over the 80 ft lbs. My work bench weighs about 400 lbs and I was literally lifting up the front of my bench with the upper receiver in the upper receiver vice block getting the barrel nut off and all was well with the upper receiver threads and their was no warping. I think DPMS uses a BFH to hit the barrel nut wrench when putting on their barrel nuts

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol so basically, I'm good?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    OP remember with the NSR barrel nut if you can't get it to time properly within the proper torque range, you can take it off, flip it around and thread on the other end. I'm pretty sure it's posted in the NSR thread that the nut is made so that the threads in each end are timed differently. If it won't time right one way then it should time right the other way.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast