Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton commits to UN Small Arms Treaty

Feedback Score

Hillary Clinton commits to UN Small Arms Treaty

Thread Rules:

"No new FEDERAL AWB or gun control threads. This topic is only to be discussed in the tacked thread.

State or international or municipal topics are fair game."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this doesn't belong here, moderator please have it moved.

This is a little too much on the dooms day side of things for my taste, but does anyone have any information on this?

I received the below E-mail this morning:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear fellow patriot,

With willing one-world accomplices in Washington, D.C., gun-grabbers around the globe believe they have it made.

In fact, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton just announced the Obama Administration would be working hand in glove with the UN to pass a new “Small Arms Treaty.”

Disguised as legislation to help in the fight against “terrorism,” “insurgency” and “international crime syndicates,” the UN Small Arms Treaty is nothing more than a massive, GLOBAL gun control scheme.

Ultimately, the UN’s Small Arms Treaty is designed to register, ban and CONFISCATE firearms owned by private citizens like YOU.

That’s why it’s vital you sign the special petition I’ve made up for your signature that DEMANDS your U.S. Senators vote AGAINST ratification of the UN’s “Small Arms Treaty!”

So far, the gun-grabbers have successfully kept the exact wording of their new scheme under wraps.

But looking at previous versions of the UN “Small Arms Treaty,” you and I can get a good idea of what’s likely in the works.

If passed by the UN and ratified by the U.S. Senate, the UN “Small Arms Treaty” would almost certainly FORCE national governments to:

*** Enact tougher licensing requirements, making law-abiding citizens cut through even more bureaucratic red tape just to own a firearm legally;

*** CONFISCATE and DESTROY ALL “unauthorized” civilian firearms (all firearms owned by the government are excluded, of course);

*** BAN the trade, sale and private ownership of ALL semi-automatic weapons;

*** Create an INTERNATIONAL gun registry, setting the stage for full-scale gun CONFISCATION.

So please click here to sign the petition to your U.S. Senators before it’s too late!

You see, this is NOT a fight we can afford to lose.

Ever since it’s founding almost 65 years ago, the United Nations has been hell-bent on bringing the United States to its knees.

To the petty dictators and one-worlders who control the UN, the U.S. isn’t a “shining city on a hill” -- it’s an affront to their grand totalitarian designs for the globe.

These anti-gun globalists know that so long as Americans remain free to make our own decisions without being bossed around by big government bureaucrats, they’ll NEVER be able to seize the worldwide oppressive power they crave.

And the UN’s apologists also know the most effective way to finally strip you and me of ALL our freedoms would be to DESTROY our gun rights.

That’s why it’s vital you act TODAY!

The truth is, there’s no time to waste.

You and I have to be prepared for this fight to move FAST.

The fact is, the last thing the gun-grabbers in the U.N. and in Washington, D.C. want is for you and me to have time to react and mobilize gun owners to defeat this radical legislation.

They’ve made that mistake before, and we’ve made them pay, defeating EVERY attempt to ram the “Treaty on Small Arms” into law since the mid-1990s.

But this time, time won’t be on our side.

In fact, we’re likely to only have a few days or weeks to defeat the treaty.

Worse, there’s no longer any pro-gun Republican Senate to kill ratification of the treaty.

There’s no longer any Republican in the White House who has stated opposition to the treaty.

And you and I know good and well how Germany, Great Britain, France, Communist China or the rest of the anti-gun members of the United Nations are going to vote.

So our ONE AND ONLY CHANCE of stopping the UN’s “Small Arms Treaty” is during the ratification process in the U.S. Senate.

As you know, it takes 67 Senate votes to ratify a treaty.

With 40 Republicans, that should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

First, you know just as well as I do that not all the remaining Republicans in the Senate are “pro-gun” in any sense of the term.

Second, even with the partisan rancor in Washington, D.C., many GOP Senators get “queasy” about killing treaties for fear of “embarrassing” the President -- especially with “international prestige” at stake.

They look at ratifying treaties much like approving Presidents’ Supreme Court nominees.

And remember, there were NINE Republicans who voted to confirm anti-gun Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

A dozen more GOP Senators only voted against Sotomayor after receiving massive grassroots pressure from the folks back home.

So if we’re going to defeat the UN’s “Small Arms Treaty” we have to turn the heat up on the U.S. Senate now before it’s too late!

That’s exactly where this petition comes in.

So won’t you click here to sign IMMEDIATELY?

And also, if you can, I hope you’ll agree to make a generous contribution of $200, $150, $100 or even just $35.

With your generous contribution, I’ll immediately begin contacting Second Amendment supporters through mail, phones and e-mail to turn up the heat on targeted U.S. Senators.

Tops on the list are the “usual suspects” like Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Lindsay Graham and the rest of the weak-kneed Republicans in the Senate whose votes we can never count on.

I also want to begin contacting gun owners in states represented by key Democrats -- like Senators John Tester and Max Baucus of Montana, Senators Mark Warner and Jim Webb of Virginia, Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Senator Mary Landrieu of Louisiana.

And finally, I’ve designed a “special” hard-hitting program especially for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to let Nevada gun owners know exactly what he and his anti-gun pals have planned for you and me.

Facing a tough reelection in 2010, Senator Reid knows he’s already skating on thin ice with Nevada voters.

So you and I could end up putting the final nail in his political coffin -- if I can pull out all the stops.

Direct mail. Phones. E-mail. Blogs. Billboards. Guest editorials. Press conferences. Hard-hitting newspaper, radio and TV ads. The whole nine yards.

Of course, if I can raise enough resources, my goal is to expand this full program to ALL our target states.

But that’s not going to be cheap, and we may not have much time.

In fact, if we’re going to defeat the UN’s so-called “Small Arms Treaty,” we have to start NOW!

So please click here to sign the petition to your U.S. Senators.

And if you possibly can, please agree to make a contribution of $200, $150, $100, or even just $35.

Every petition and every dollar count in this fight.

So please sign the petition and include your most generous contribution of $200, $150, $100 or $35 TODAY.

In Liberty,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director
    National Association for Gun Rights

P.S. The Obama Administration just announced they would be working hand in glove with the UN to pass a new GLOBAL, “Small Arms Treaty.”

That’s why its vital you and I fight back IMMEDIATELY.

Please click here to sign the special petition I’ve made up for your signature that DEMANDS your U.S. Senators vote AGAINST ratification of the UN’s “Small Arms Treaty.”

And if you can, please make a generous contribution of $250, $150, $100 or $35 right away!

http://www.nagr.org/UNpetition1.aspx?pid=t3
    The only things you are "entitled" to are "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," the rest comes from hard work!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The first glaring problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Cueball1897 View Post

So far, the gun-grabbers have successfully kept the exact wording of their new scheme under wraps.

all this and we don't even know what it says?

second glaring problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Cueball1897 View Post

And also, if you can, I hope you’ll agree to make a generous contribution of $200, $150, $100 or even just $35.

And if you possibly can, please agree to make a contribution of $200, $150, $100, or even just $35.

So please sign the petition and include your most generous contribution of $200, $150, $100 or $35 TODAY.

And if you can, please make a generous contribution of $250, $150, $100 or $35 right away!

thats four times he asked for money. please, if you can't see this for what it is i don't know what to tell you. i, for one, am not that easily suckered out of my money.

when you actually have some solid info on this treaty, i'll be all ears.

Feedback Score
    It's a plea for money and it doesn't really matter what they say in my eyes. Chain mail is chain mail and it goes into the spam folder no matter how much I'd like to agree with it. 9/10 it's a collection of fallacies and falsehoods.

Get legitimate sources for every statement made in the email or it's just bunk. It reminds me of the group of people who cleverly distributed "evidence" of a false Obama birth certificate to see how many people would trust them. In the end they came out and told everyone they had been had and that the whole thing was a sham.

The internet is fun. Especially when you use it to manipulate the truth.

Too long; didn't read: It's asking for money and came in an email. It's nothing but lies.
    Last edited by Volucris; 12-16-09 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    so as i thought, turns out your chain mail is a bunch of sensationalist garbage.

http://www.iansa.org/un/ATTvote09.htm

Today, after years of discussions and debates, the United Nations agreed a timetable to establish a 'strong and robust' Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) with the 'highest common standards' to control international transfers of conventional arms.

There is currently no global regulation of the arms trade. In a major reversal of policy, the US - the world's biggest arms trader - voted in favour of the resolution. Russia and China abstained; Zimbabwe was the only vote against. As a result of the vote, the conference to finalise the Treaty is now scheduled for July 2012.

"This is great news," said Rebecca Peters, Director of IANSA. "For too long, the world has been complacent about the devastating effect of the unregulated flow of arms."

"All countries participate in the conventional arms trade and share responsibility for the 'collateral damage' it produces- widespread death, injuries and human rights abuses," said Ms Peters. "Finally, governments have agreed to negotiate legal controls on this deadly trade."

"This is a tribute to the hard work done by campaigners around the world. Now we must build on this breakthrough and make sure a strong and effective treaty is agreed in 2012."

Today's agreement means that the ATT will be negotiated in a series of meetings concluded at a UN Conference in 2012. The resulting treaty is expected to require States to strictly regulate international transfers according to principles based on international law, significantly reducing the human cost associated with the proliferation of conventional arms.

The resolution on the ATT recognises that international arms transfers contribute to armed conflict, displacement of people, organised crime and terrorist acts, thereby undermining peace, safety, security and sustainable development.

Campaigners expressed reservations about the procedure planned for the UN Conference which could give every State the right of veto. "it is vital that governments keep up the pressure for a strong treaty, and do not allow a minority of States to block the process," said Ms Peters.

153 countries voted in favour of the resolution, 19 abstained and 1 voted against. A list showing how each country voted is available here.

so this supposed treaty doesn't even exist yet, and even if it ever does it will not affect U.S. gun policy.

you can pull your panties out of your ass now.

Feedback Score
    oh how i love smart people

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE59E0Q920091015

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States reversed policy on Wednesday and said it would back launching talks on a treaty to regulate arms sales as long as the talks operated by consensus, a stance critics said gave every nation a veto.The decision, announced in a statement released by the U.S. State Department, overturns the position of former President George W. Bush's administration, which had opposed such a treaty on the grounds that national controls were better.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the United States would support the talks as long as the negotiating forum, the so-called Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty, "operates under the rules of consensus decision-making."

"Consensus is needed to ensure the widest possible support for the Treaty and to avoid loopholes in the Treaty that can be exploited by those wishing to export arms irresponsibly," Clinton said in a written statement.

While praising the Obama administration's decision to overturn the Bush-era policy and to proceed with negotiations to regulate conventional arms sales, some groups criticized the U.S. insistence that decisions on the treaty be unanimous.

"The shift in position by the world's biggest arms exporter is a major breakthrough in launching formal negotiations at the United Nations in order to prevent irresponsible arms transfers," Amnesty International and Oxfam International said in a joint statement.

However, they said insisting that decisions on the treaty be made by consensus "could fatally weaken a final deal."

"Governments must resist US demands to give any single state the power to veto the treaty as this could hold the process hostage during the course of negotiations. We call on all governments to reject such a veto clause," said Oxfam International's policy adviser Debbie Hillier.

The proposed legally binding treaty would tighten regulation of, and set international standards for, the import, export and transfer of conventional weapons.

Supporters say it would give worldwide coverage to close gaps in existing regional and national arms export control systems that allow weapons to pass onto the illicit market.

Nations would remain in charge of their arms export control arrangements but would be legally obliged to assess each export against criteria agreed under the treaty. Governments would have to authorize transfers in writing and in advance.

The main opponent of the treaty in the past was the U.S. Bush administration, which said national controls were better. Last year, the United States accounted for more than two-thirds of some $55.2 billion in global arms transfer deals.

Arms exporters China, Russia and Israel abstained last year in a U.N. vote on the issue.

The proposed treaty is opposed by conservative U.S. think tanks like the Heritage Foundation, which said last month that it would not restrict the access of "dictators and terrorists" to arms but would be used to reduce the ability of democracies such as Israel to defend their people.

The U.S. lobbying group the National Rifle Association has also opposed the treaty.

A resolution before the U.N. General Assembly is sponsored by seven nations including major arms exporter Britain. It calls for preparatory meetings in 2010 and 2011 for a conference to negotiate a treaty in 2012.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Dudley Brown
    Executive Director
    National Association for Gun Rights
    I've never even heard of this group. Is this another American Hunters and Shooters Association?
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Fortunately treaties have to be approved by Congress, and this wont make it through this Congress. The only bright spot on the turd that is Harry Reid is he is pro-gun.

Feedback Score
    No matter where in development such a treaty is or is not, quoting Rebecca Peters and her ilk to support your position that the treaty won't come to be is like quoting Planned Parenthood as proof that abortion is murdering babies.
    Makes no sense and is flat out bullshit.
    Peters is all about banning all private ownership of all firearms worldwide.
    Don't Fear The Night.
    Fear What Hunts At Night.
    US ARMY INFANTRY
    HOOAH!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The only bright spot on the turd that is Harry Reid is he is pro-gun.
    I'm sure if his boss (and NOT the people who he represents ) told him to go with the UN, he would. This Congress has already proved that they could care less about what the people want.
    Failure to train is training to fail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast