Thread: Which Noveske barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Which Noveske barrel?

So I'm about to order a Noveske rifle for use as my patrol rifle at work. I plan on getting the VTAC model, but I cannot decide for the life of me which barrel to get.

The options are:

-14.5" M249 steel cold hammer forged double chrome lined

- 16" stainless steel Recon barrel

Both are 1:7 twist. I'm sure both will be extremely accurate.

The stainless barrel is slightly more expensive.

Which one should I get?

Feedback Score
    What are your priorities? Accuracy or weight? Is 1.5" of barrel length going to make a difference in your situation; both in handling/maneuvering and difference in muzzle velocity? Will a difference in barrel life between a stainless steel barrel and a double thickness chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel matter to you?

Noveske 16" SS Recon barrel

Testing was done at 100 yards from a bench rest. A Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification was used for sighting. I obtained three 10-shot groups using one of my standard hand-loads for 77 grain Sierra MatchKings. Those three groups measured as follows:

0.81”
    0.93”
    1.01”

for an average 10-shot extreme spread of 0.92".

These three groups were over-layed on each other using the RSI Shooting Lab software program to obtain a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for this composite group measured 0.28”. Here’s a pic of the best 10-shot group of the 77 grain MatchKings.

Noveske 16" N4 light Recce

I performed an accuracy evaluation of my Noveske 16” N4 Light Recce upper following my usual protocol. Testing was performed from a distance of 100 yards. Firing was conducted from a concrete bench with the free-float handguard resting in a Sinclair Bench Rest. The rear stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear bag. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe. A Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards was used for sighting.

Using hand-loaded, match grade ammunition I fired three, 10-shot groups in a row. The extreme spreads of those groups measured:

1.29”
    1.18”
    1.31”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 1.26”. I over-layed those three groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the composite group was 0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five, 10-shot groups in a row using the same set-up for a total of eight, 10-shot groups. The average extreme spread for all eight groups was 1.24”. I over-layed all eight groups on each using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The mean radius for that composite group was 0.39”.

Noveske 14.5” N4 light carbine

The 14.5” N4 barrel was tested in the same manner as described above. Three 10-shot groups fired from 100 yards using match grade hand-loads had extreme spreads of:

1.029”
    1.360”
    1.275”

for a 10-shot group average of 1.22”. As above, I over-layed the three 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for that composite group was 0.37”.
    Last edited by Molon; 12-20-09 at 12:16.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I have an infidel that I got a few years ago. Its a medium contour, so its not too heavy. It was expensive though. Mine has the pig attached so its 16.1 oal. I love it, and will never get rid of it. But like i said, if you have the money i'd go with the stainless.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it is a patrol rifle, I would go with whatever is shortest. To me, 14.5" vs. 16" makes a huge difference in maneuverability. If you are getting in and out of a vehicle frequently, I would definitely go with the shortest barrel possible. You are probably not going to be taking many 200m+ shots in most law enforcement settings. You may, however, need your rifle ****ING NOW when you are getting out of your ride. The minor loss in accuracy/velocity is going to have a lot less of an impact than speed. Honestly, if you work mostly out of a sedan rather than a truck or SUV, I would consider a SBR. Noveske does some real nice factory SBRs.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If you are getting a 14.5" and unless you are having the flash hider "permed" into place then you are going to have to wait for your SBR approval. Will your agency allow you to use an SBR on duty?

I think that you will be just fine with a 16" barrel and I would have no problem going with a Noveske 16" stainless. I have a Recon upper and I am very happy with it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I carry 2 Noveske rifles on duty, 10.5 (my favorite) and a 16 inch N4 both are outstanding. I'd go with the N4 save a little cash.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd save the weight and some cash and go with the 14.5" model. I own a 16" Recon and I don't think you'll realize the accuracy potential of the stainless model over the N4 without a magnified optic. Really can't go wrong on this decision though.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Noveske will sell you the VTAC 16" with their Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrel. This is what my choice would be.