Thread: How many AR's can be built before needing a manuf FFL?

Feedback Score

How many AR's can be built before needing a manuf FFL?

I'm new here and am not sure where to post this so feel free to correct me if I'm lost. I was wondering how many homemade AR's you can build before you need to secure a manufacturing FFL. I have been going through a local gun shop for my lower processes but have had a bunch of friends and coworkers asking me about making them an AR or two. Does anybody know what the (Fed) law would cut me off at? I've never broken any firearms laws and would like to keep it that way. From what I hear, jail sucks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dont know the law but if your friends buy the lowers...you building it wouldnt have anything to do with it.

That's the way I see it.

But if you buy the lowers, then you build it then sell it...that is where you will run into issues.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I think the only building the ATF is concerned with in regards to this, is actually milling out the receiver and creating serial numbers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No, if you build one from a transferred receiver you need an FFL even for one. If you "friends" buy the lower and its been transferred through them you can put it together for them. Then you could run into ATF issues if you charge them or keep the firearm to build it. Backyard stuff they really dont care about until you start making money. Then its a "legal" issue .
    Edit: If your building lowers from scratch and then selling a complete rifle ATF realy doesnt like that and theres several legal issues with out an 07 FFL that you can run into...
    Last edited by 99HMC4; 03-27-10 at 23:47.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would think the bigger concern would be civil liability. If you work on someone's gun and it blows up in their face or malfunctions in some other way, then I think you'd be held responsible. If all you're doing is assembling the rifle for them with parts either you or they got, I don't see how the Gov. would really care. This all assumes you're not dealing with SBR, AOW, etc. stuff. If you routinely do it for money, then I think you'd need to worry about the IRS.
    But then, what do I know, I'm no lawer/LEO/Fed.
    My best advice: If in doubt, don't. Tell them to read/research here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can help people build them all day long, but if you are buying the parts, building them up, and then selling them to others, that is a very different story.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB