Thread: Larue stealth upper came in

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Larue stealth upper came in

I recently received my Larue Stealth upper. I got a 16 inch barrel with 11 inch rail. The fit and finish is excellent as to be expected. I currently put the upper on a POF lower which is a tight fit but I have a Larue lower coming.

I was a little surprised with the bolt carrier. After firing a hundred rounds I noticed some wear on the buffer. I was able to see a burr/rough finish on the back of the bolt carrier. It only took me about five minutes to fix it with a stone but this shouldnt have been needed. Another minor thing was that the flash hider wasnt perfectly indexed. It was only a cosmetic thing and most people wouldnt notice. I am going to put on a PWS comp anyway.

One thing that really impressed me about the upper was the alignment. I am using an aimpoint with magnifier behind it. I used Larue mounts for both. Because of the way I have it set up there is only about an 1/8 of an inch between the two optics. The tubes of the optics line up perfectly. I also liked that the adjustment for the optics and my backup irons was in the middle of their adjustment range after being zeroed. I know this isnt a big deal but it shows that the rail, barrel, mounts, and upper are all in alignment.

The upper functioned great. I had a problem with my reloads because I didnt size the brass down far enough. The rounds would chamber and fire but I couldnt extract them by hand without a lot of work. I adjusted my resizing die and the rounds work fine now.

I havent had a chance to really test the accuracy but I would say the upper is pretty comparable with one I built using a krieger barrel.

The only thing I dont really like about the upper is that the gas block isnt staked. I havent heard of anybody using a larue upper that had their gas block come off or loose. The problem is that I am guessing it would only 20-30 dollars to the cost of the upper if larue did it when they made it but if I want to have the gas block staked now I have to find someone that can do it and they will have to at least partially disassemble the upper and I will probably have to mail it off.

Overall all I am very happy with the upper. I plan on putting a few hundred rounds through it next week.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvery37 View Post
    I recently received my Larue Stealth upper. I got a 16 inch barrel with 11 inch rail.

I was a little surprised with the bolt carrier. After firing a hundred rounds I noticed some wear on the buffer. I was able to see a burr/rough finish on the back of the bolt carrier. It only took me about five minutes to fix it with a stone but this shouldnt have been needed.

Larue "our guarantee is "if you ain't happy, then we ain't happy".

Being that his barrels are Ion-Bond finished & IIRC the BCG may also be, I would have called & asked. Probally would have shipped off another unit to replace it & if it is Ion-Bond finished, I wouldn't want to have to stone that off wth that finish

One thing that really impressed me about the upper was the alignment.

If you want to keep it that way, then leave it the way it is!

The only thing I dont really like about the upper is that the gas block isnt staked. I havent heard of anybody using a larue upper that had their gas block come off or loose. The problem is that I am guessing it would only 20-30 dollars to the cost of the upper if larue did it when they made it but if I want to have the gas block staked now I have to find someone that can do it and they will have to at least partially disassemble the upper and I will probably have to mail it off.

Being the gas block if completely covered by the rail, as long as it was installed correctly, it will never be a issue!

There is a old saying: "How to you keep a hard on? Don't **** with it!"

My thoughts above in Bold
    .......................................................................................................................
    Last edited by VLODPG; 12-19-09 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I worked up some loads for the upper and here are the results:

77SMK, Varget, 2.255 oal, LC brass, 5 round groups, wolf .223 primers

My plinking round is 24.5 grains TAC with 55grn FMJ montana gold bullets. With these rounds I measured 3, 5 round shot groups and they averaged 1.340.

I found that it takes about 10-15 rounds to foul the barrel after cleaning before the groups will tighten up.

I put a PWS FSC on the barrel and it works great. When doing short range/close quarters shooting the reduction in barrel rise is very noticeable.

Feedback Score
    I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to throw out another data point for folks looking to load for a LaRue Stealth (16" in particular).

77gr Sierra MatchKing
    23.5gr Varget
    2.260" COAL
    CCI 400 primer
    LC once-fired brass (TTL 1.750")

I've done a couple of batches where I shoot 10-shot groups and watch for fliers and general point-of-impact consistency. 23.5gr of Varget produced slightly better groups than my 23.7gr and 23.9gr loads, although both of those were better than the lighter loads (23.1gr and 23.3gr).

Hope to do some testing at 200 yards this weekend. My guess is that I can expect 1.5" groups at 200 if the nut behind the stock is tightened appropriately.

Feedback Score
    You are expecting .75 moa? Not saying thats unrealistic but I really didnt think they where that accurate.
    Sorry, I come from the world of long range. Forgive my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    I do expect around .75 MOA, although I forgot to mention that my typical groups are done with 5 shots, not 10 like I was shooting today. Through load development I've seen lots of sub-MOA groups with the heavier bullets at 100 yards (several under 3/4", too), and I'm hoping that they'll be able to shine at 200.

Looking at the weather for tomorrow, the wind may not cooperate, however.

Feedback Score
    Interesting load info... thanks for sharing.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    You are expecting .75 moa? Not saying thats unrealistic but I really didnt think they where that accurate.
    Larue Stealth Uppers have always been known for their fantastic accuracy. Well, fantastic to me is less than 1" (and usaully 3/4" or less) at 100 yards from a Semi auto set up in 5.56 and the Larue's can do this . I have seen it many times with many of their uppers/rifles. Your definition of good accuracy may differ.

** Ha, ha....I just read your sig so I guess you have a very strict definition of accuracy. **
    Last edited by K9222; 03-28-10 at 11:22. Reason: add sentance