Thread: Help me pick a bore sighter

Feedback Score

Help me pick a bore sighter

I am always working on rifles and I need a good bore sighter. There seem to be lots of what looks about the same for a wide range of prices. I am not totally sold on the laser bore sighters either. I mostly shoot Ak's, Ar's, and 10/22. Are they all pretty good or are some just junk?

Feedback Score
    I have used the Bushnell 'Professional' boresighter system hundreds of times over a number of years working at a 'shop' and say that it works as advertised... Due to the very nature of bore sighting, they'll get you on paper, but accuracy can't be guaranteed and you need to confirm and adjust when you actually shoot anyways.

Once, I sighted a 10/22 magnum and the first three shots were a dime sized group in the middle of the X ring @100y, but that's definitely a rare occurrence.

Although I'd generally never recommend a BSA product, personally, I don't see why the el-cheapo BSA boresighter set for $25 wouldn't work just the same for 1/4 of the price.

I've never used a laser boresighter, but you need to use it at the proper distance, and any red LED will be hard to see at 100y or even 50y during the day, but the divergence of a cheap LED at those ranges won't get you much better accuracy... at least from what I would assume.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use a cheap Tasco bore sight set. I bought the large .50cal/shotgun arbor and the long offset adapter so that I can boresight M14s, ARs with tall scopes etc. It's works pretty well.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i use a laser boresighter and it's saved me time, money and frustration. well worthit, IMHO.
    i use it indoors, at home, not at the range. at shorter distances (10yds), the laser errors are minimized (concentricity with the bore), and i find it most useful for getting my windage dialed in. for elevation, i just adjust the sights so that they're above the red dot approximately the same height as my optic-bore offset. i've always been on paper at 50yds doing that, and very close in windage. when adjusting or changing out sights on a handgun, the laser-boresighter usually puts them dead on when i confirm them later.
    last time i went to the range to sight in some optics which i had laser-boresighted at home, the wind was blowing too hard to put paper targets up. there were 10" steel plates at 100 and 200 yds, and i was able to ring them without sight adjustment. close enough for boresighting.

Feedback Score
    MM: which one do you recommend ?

Feedback Score
    Is there one that will work well with both irons and scopes? Sounds like a laser may be best for that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i've only had experience with the one i have. i use it for everything - pistol sights, red dots, irons and scopes on my rifles.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...hter&noImage=0